• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    It's about that time. Has anyone submitted a renewal? Will DC accept a mail in renewal for out of state people? Any experiences?

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    Just renewed, as DC resident. Earlier I was told just bring proof of training (documented on MPDC FRS form) and credit card and i could do it over the counter. I walked in and was told no more over-the-counter, it would be mailed. I was earlier told 45-60 days. I received mine in 3 business days via USPS. all can be done on line (upload images of training document with on-line payment). my gripe..... My original License expires on 01/30/2020 the reissued permit expires on 10/25/2021....a loss of more than 3 months more than 12 percent. imma fight them on this.

So short answer; all can be done online with minimal delay at https://mpdc.dc.gov/firearms

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Just renewed, as DC resident. Earlier I was told just bring proof of training (documented on MPDC FRS form) and credit card and i could do it over the counter. I walked in and was told no more over-the-counter, it would be mailed. I was earlier told 45-60 days. I received mine in 3 business days via USPS. all can be done on line (upload images of training document with on-line payment). my gripe..... My original License expires on 01/30/2020 the reissued permit expires on 10/25/2021....a loss of more than 3 months more than 12 percent. imma fight them on this.

So short answer; all can be done online with minimal delay at https://mpdc.dc.gov/firearms

Thanks for the info!

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I renewed a few months ago, but then I had the first “shall issue” DC permit.

I had to call and complain to get it unstuck out of the computerized renewal program.

That or SPO King...

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I renewed a few months ago, but then I had the first “shall issue” DC permit.
    I had to call and complain to get it unstuck out of the computerized renewal program.
    That or SPO King...

Mine was issued early November 17. renewal in Sept 2019 was same day, actually about 20 minutes, at the office at MPD HQ before they started the online renewal

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    Does anybody know the current wait times for permit renewal applications? Any recent experiences? I expire in about three months and need to find a class. If it only takes a few days then I don't want to submit too early and lose three months off my current permit - don't want to give DC any more money than necessary.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Does anybody know the current wait times for permit renewal applications? Any recent experiences? I expire in about three months and need to find a class. If it only takes a few days then I don't want to submit too early and lose three months off my current permit - don't want to give DC any more money than necessary.
    Mine was same day, but there also seem to be people waiting a few weeks.

I would take the class now as it wont expire. you may want to call and ask them how long renewals are taking

As far as losing time on current permit, it is $75 for two years or about 75 cents per week, three dollars a month.

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    Just a followup - I received my renewed permit today, about 6 weeks after submitting my application online. The expiration date was extended two years from my current permit's expiration date, so no lost time.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Just a followup - I received my renewed permit today, about 6 weeks after submitting my application online. The expiration date was extended two years from my current permit's expiration date, so no lost time.

I'm at 8 weeks, still waiting for my renewal... :mad54:

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV

Had your permit expired yet?

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Had your permit expired yet?

Good question. I also made the mistake of thinking they dated the permits 2 years from training, so I timed my training close to the expiration expecting them to turn around the renewal quickly. Thus have not been able to carry for nearly two months. If I knew it would take this inexplicably long to process the renewal, but that they would date the new permit off the old and not off training, I would have put in my renewal paperwork two months earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom