• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndamend

Jan 22, 2020
    I've read these forums for a little while and haven't seen anyone comment on the waitime for registration. I registered a handgun on last Tuesday the 14th and have already contacted the fbi and they informed me the background was given back to mpd the same day. What's the holdup then? They say 10 days on the website.

Jan 15, 2020
    DC law requires a mandatory 10 day wait time between firearm purchase and release to the owner. It's called a "cooling off period" to prevent anyone from purchasing a firearm to immediately do harm to themselves or someone else - anger, revenge, crimes of passion etc.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    DC law requires a mandatory 10 day wait time between firearm purchase and release to the owner. It's called a "cooling off period" to prevent anyone from purchasing a firearm to immediately do harm to themselves or someone else - anger, revenge, crimes of passion etc.

The cooling off period starts at the time of sale.

There is additional waiting period of up to 10 days while DC does their approval/denial procedure. This clock starts after the PD-219 is filed and paid. This procedure use to be done on the same day.

For unknown reasons DC changed their policy and have not been able to make their decision in the maximum allotted 10 days. It is now taking them +20 days to approve/deny.

2ndamend

Jan 22, 2020

Its been well over 10 days. I purchased the gun back in November I just hadn't gotten around to be able to go to Sykes and I thought I was going to get a ccw but I'm moving to nc in august so I decided not to.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    The cooling off period starts at the time of sale.

There is additional waiting period of up to 10 days while DC does their approval/denial procedure. This clock starts after the PD-219 is filed and paid. This procedure use to be done on the same day.

For unknown reasons DC changed their policy and have not been able to make their decision in the maximum allotted 10 days. It is now taking them +20 days to approve/deny.

For the first gun only, correct, where presumably they are waiting for prints to come back from the FBI?

I’ve never experienced anything aside from a same day approval for a subsequent purchase when going in with a +10 day purchase receipt.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    For the first gun only, correct, where presumably they are waiting for prints to come back from the FBI?

I’ve never experienced anything aside from a same day approval for a subsequent purchase when going in with a +10 day purchase receipt.

This is not the first gun registration, nor the first time I have gone through Sykes.

Like I said, they have made some changes to the registration procedure in the last few months.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    This is not the first gun registration, nor the first time I have gone through Sykes.

Like I said, they have made some changes to the registration procedure in the last few months.

Wow. That is horrible. So before I could:

1) Buy long gun from LGS or online, visit chosen FFL and sign PD-219 in person with them.

2) Wait till 10+ days from receipt date of sale, go to MPD with receipt, PD-219, and $13 bucks and walk out 20 mins later with registration card.

3) Take registration card to FFL and collect firearm.

Now you are telling me step two is now two visits to MPD!? That is utter communist ******** on top of already communist ********. What is their reason? I’m pretty sure they already put every gun owner in rapback. Will they at least mail you the card on approval?

So if they are going to sit on it for another 10 days, no reason to wait for the receipt to age 10 days any more, just get the docs in at the earliest.

Hopefully whatever comes out of SCOTUS this term give us another pass at DC’s reg, mag, and AWB ********.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Wow. That is horrible. So before I could:

1) Buy long gun from LGS or online, visit chosen FFL and sign PD-219 in person with them.

2) Wait till 10+ days from receipt date of sale, go to MPD with receipt, PD-219, and $13 bucks and walk out 20 mins later with registration card.

3) Take registration card to FFL and collect firearm.

Now you are telling me step two is now two visits to MPD!? That is utter communist ******** on top of already communist ********. What is their reason? I’m pretty sure they already put every gun owner in rapback. Will they at least mail you the card on approval?

So if they are going to sit on it for another 10 days, no reason to wait for the receipt to age 10 days any more, just get the docs in at the earliest.

Hopefully whatever comes out of SCOTUS this term give us another pass at DC’s reg, mag, and AWB ********.

That is my understanding, but I can only comment on my experience. In December I registered a rifle and a pistol in the exact manner you described. No problems.

In January I had a pistol shipped to Sykes and waited 10 days from purchase to NICS and PD-219 with him. Sykes said DC does not do same day registration anymore.

When I brought the receipt, $13, and PD-219 to registration they said they should have a decision in 3 weeks.:confused: I cannot find any new laws or explanation of what is going on.

Also I was registering a shotgun that I own and brought in from out of state. They have a new form for used firearms asking where did I get the firearm, on what date, the name of the previous owner, the address of the previous owner, and the phone number of the previous owner. There is no provision in the law for them to ask those questions.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Man. That is weird, annoying, and effed up. Guess I’m buying my guns in threes now. We should write our council members. I’m sure they’ll be quick to respond (and make sure we never get our trash picked up ever again).

Presumably you have a DC carry permit too?

Only thing I can think of outside of outright obstructionism, is that in the past on subsequent purchases they just did a NCIC name check, and now they are resubmitting the live scan fingerprint images to the FBI and waiting for a response.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Man. That is weird, annoying, and effed up. Guess I’m buying my guns in threes now. We should write our council members. I’m sure they’ll be quick to respond (and make sure we never get our trash picked up ever again).

Only thing I can think of outside of outright obstructionism, is that in the past on subsequent purchases they just did a NCIC name check, and now they are resubmitting the live scan fingerprint images to the FBI and waiting for a response.

I do have a carry permit.

I heard a rumor that DC removed the 10 day waiting period, but I cannot find the new legislation/policy.

I wonder if this new waiting period is a loophole to reinstate the waiting period. Just speculation.

2ndamend

Jan 22, 2020

I searched online and found the FBI customer service for background checks. They told me they returned my background to mpd the exact same day. When I called yesterday which was exactly a week from my original date, I was told the reason for my delay was because a supervisor had to sign of on my registration. They said call back tomorrow or early next week for an update.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    I searched online and found the FBI customer service for background checks. They told me they returned my background to mpd the exact same day. When I called yesterday which was exactly a week from my original date, I was told the reason for my delay was because a supervisor had to sign of on my registration. They said call back tomorrow or early next week for an update.

Is this your first registration or a subsequent?

If subsequent, seems like someone up the chain found out MPD was approving registrations same day and told them to throw some sand in the gears. It also seems like my suspicion might be correct and they are no longer doing just NCIC name based checks for subsequent registrations and are resubmitting stored prints.

2ndamend

Jan 22, 2020

If subsequent, seems like someone up the chain found out MPD was approving registrations same day and told them to throw some sand in the gears. It also seems like my suspicion might be correct and they are no longer doing just NCIC name based checks for subsequent registrations and are resubmitting stored prints.

Yeah this is my first but I heavily researched prior to purchase and see nothing on their website nor anywhere online that says the timeframe is longer than 10 days and the 10 days is only supposed to be 10 days after your original purchase date. Just sad they can just pull these practices in dc with nor repercussions I was going to purchase a shotgun soon but think ill wait when I move in august. I did remember hearing the guy when I was there though state they do their "own" background check along with whatevethey get back from the FBI check.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Sounds like there are people who have the standing to initiate a suit against DC. Punitive damages would be a plus, if available.

Jan 15, 2020

the DA would be my guess.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The DA ? They don't have a " DA " per se . Would that be the DC AG ? DC Corporation Council ? Or more likely one or more Council Members whispering in the ear of MPD Chief , telling them to drag their feet .

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV

When has DC did same day registrations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom