• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Its Saturday and we are cleaning out the house.

Making piles of stuff to go to goodwill, trash and of course bug out items.

Its actually quite depressing going through your life one item at a time and making a decision if it comes with you or stays behind.

Its actually quite difficult and at times I find myself paralyzed by this almost overwhelmed feeling and want to stop this "exercise" we started.

Don't beat me up too bad, Just wondering if anyone else feeling a little blue doing the same thing as me.

Edited to emphasize the leaving your life behind should it come time to walk away from your house.

thanks

Make some calls and catch up with old friends. Talk about the fun you had in the past, and make plans to meet in the future. It will give you something to look forward to...

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Ya buddy , you aren’t the only one going through this. I kept my grandfathers stuff,my dad stuff, stuff from the lake house , stuff from the farm , my friends stuff that died .couldnt get rid of it , it was/ is all memories. One day I thought what the hell am I gonna do with 5 shovels 6 rakes ,clothes , tools etc.....
    Gave most all of it away even took stuff to dump that hurt. Still have some stuff : my firearms and antiques. Told kids don’t throw out my stuff when I go. 4 kids , my one son will keep most and I have a
    Notebook on values for them , at least sell it .maybe I will.realizing your own mortality was a calming experience for me it hit me back in September when doctor gave me less than good news . I want to move but one more kid to get out of house . Have them from 32 to 16 years old. Want to sit in the chair have a chew and watch the trees grow like my pap. I get it now.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    To be honest I had a fire in my workshop ~this time last year. Weirdly one of the positives was that most of the stuff went up in smoke. Why? Because it ties you down to one spot. You can't move nowhere as easily. A big part of me is happy. Having a fire rip through your stuff is tragic but I did a lot of thinking afterwards. Those possessions were temporal.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    After we lived in our house for about 20 years, the basement looked like a maze. Got a new couch, the old one went to the basement, stuff that one of friends had wife wanted but no place to put it right now, down in the basement for later. It finally reached the point I couldn't stand going down there. Had a big dumpster rental delivered. It filled up in no time, had the company swap it for another one. Had repeat one more time. After that every 4 to 5 years I have someone come out and haul the stuff away. The best was college hunks hauling junk. Not as cheap as just getting a dumpster, but saves my back a lot of pain. As I wound up basically throwing my back out the first time I cleared the basement. At least I have a walk out basement.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Ya buddy , you aren’t the only one going through this. I kept my grandfathers stuff,my dad stuff, stuff from the lake house , stuff from the farm , my friends stuff that died .couldnt get rid of it , it was/ is all memories. One day I thought what the hell am I gonna do with 5 shovels 6 rakes ,clothes , tools etc.....
    Gave most all of it away even took stuff to dump that hurt. Still have some stuff : my firearms and antiques. Told kids don’t throw out my stuff when I go. 4 kids , my one son will keep most and I have a
    Notebook on values for them , at least sell it .maybe I will.realizing your own mortality was a calming experience for me it hit me back in September when doctor gave me less than good news . I want to move but one more kid to get out of house . Have them from 32 to 16 years old. Want to sit in the chair have a chew and watch the trees grow like my pap. I get it now.
    Like my son says about demolition.

“It’s my problem right up until it’s someone else problem. Then, I don’t care what they do or how they do it.”

Same goes with other folks stuff to include parents...

Control what you can, when you can or let it go...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom