• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I know a lot of us have good stores of canned goods, dried rice/beans/lentils/etc, dry pasta, nuts and lots of other long shelf life foods in our preps, but I want to bring up seasonings...
    If we get to the point we're eating canned meat, rice and beans on a daily basis, being able to mix up the seasonings can go a long way. Most people stock: salt/pepper/garlic powder/red pepper flakes/oregano/etc, but this thread is for us to add the more interesting and or exotic seasonings for the mundane prepper foods:
    Old Bay
    JO Spice
    Goya Adobo
    Vegeta (excellent stuff that should be much more common)
    Aw Shit
    Sazon Complete
    Everglades Seasoning
    Everglades Heat
    Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt
    Cajun Spice
    Lawry's Season All
    McCormick Perfect Pinch (salt free)

Please add some shelf stable oddball seasonings you add to rice/beans/lentils/etc

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    I have a source for “fresh” chipotle powder that is only available once per year. This stuff is a world apart from the flavorless stuff at the store. My whole spice cabinet smells like wonderful smoky chipotles for months after I get it.

I use it in my Tex-mex stuff, on Mac-n-cheese, in rice dishes, in my eggs, with cheddar in my beer bread and for tons of other things. I bought more than a pound of it this year and put some aside for longer-term storage.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    I have a source for “fresh” chipotle powder that is only available once per year. This stuff is a world apart from the flavorless stuff at the store. My whole spice cabinet smells like wonderful smoky chipotles for months after I get it.

I use it in my Tex-mex stuff, on Mac-n-cheese, in rice dishes, in my eggs, with cheddar in my beer bread and for tons of other things. I bought more than a pound of it this year and put some aside for longer-term storage.

Too precious to share from where?

Last edited:

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I've got a little of just about everything in my spice cabinet. I also end up buying 2-4 plants of each that I can find in the spring. Whatever I don't use fresh gets dried and put in jars for later use. I try to keep an empty bottle from each spice to refill with my own and also have some half size mason jars I end up filling.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    From my experience, many spices don't keep well, even sealed in their original containers; possibly the oxygen in the container. I wonder if it is possible to purchase spices packaged in nitrogen like potato and corn chips (the reason they have a 45-60 day shelf life these days instead of 10)

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    Too precious to share from where?

I’m not posting my source because it sells out quickly and I’ve had years when I’ve only been able to get a couple ounces and had to resort to store bought :)

For some unknown reason it sold out the day they finally got it (three weeks late) last year -insert whistling emoji I don’t know how to post here-

PM inbound.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Don’t forget boullion. Don’t forget to look in the Hispanic section and the Asian section of your local grocery stores when the time comes...again.

Unless you’re among our SPECIAL members who go several times a week, even now. Maybe several times a day from the sound of it. Wow...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Chili powder - light and dark

Cilantro

Cumin

Oregano

Look at what spices you use on a fairly regular basis. Start with what you use almost every day, then weekly, then monthly, then maybe a few times a year.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Turmeric
    Cumin
    Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Chili powder
    Curry seasoning/powder
    Season All
    Pepper

I have a big patch of oregano and plant several basil and parsley plants that I dehydrate throughout the growing season. I have a patch of thyme and a couple of sage plants as well.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I love indian food so i would add some stuff like garam masala blends, turmeric, coriander, cardomom etc... As far as flavor they have the best food anywhere in the world in my opinion.

Once things go back to normal check out the mango grill in hagerstown. They have an awesome lunch buffet. Its just a small place but i would put it at the top of my list of best places ive ever eaten.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Basic herbs and spices. I like to make my own blends and as long as you stock the basics, you can make anything you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom