• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    If any of you guys haven't been to The Restaurant Store, you should go. They have several locations around. Its a restaurant supply store and they have bulk spices and high quality equipment for amazing prices. Its like a candy store to me. I always find something cool.

https://www.therestaurantstore.com/
    Dang

7ac3cd635f04e986a52726ea6887ca9f.jpg

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The Dutch market in Cockeysville has bulk spices... we often go there to pick up andouille and will come home with other stuff. Big Lots can sometimes have good deals.

Spices are oft-overlooked in prepping. Nothing's worse than plain rice and beans. Salt and sugar will keep forever. We rotate out spices like black pepper, garlic, and onion powder, which we use a lot of. Many spices are easy to grow and fresh oregano goes a LOOONG way compared to dried.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    The Dutch market in Cockeysville has bulk spices... we often go there to pick up andouille and will come home with other stuff. Big Lots can sometimes have good deals.

Spices are oft-overlooked in prepping. Nothing's worse than plain rice and beans. Salt and sugar will keep forever. We rotate out spices like black pepper, garlic, and onion powder, which we use a lot of. Many spices are easy to grow and fresh oregano goes a LOOONG way compared to dried.

Oh man that market is AWESOME! Everything they make is great. Wings, meals, cinnamon buns.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Smoked Paprika (Common use: chicken thighs and when no one else is looking a little in most things)

Zatarains Creole (Eggs, my son said almost every meat)

Juniper berries (Sauerbraten)

Inglehoffer Sweet Hot (sauteed mushrooms)

Almost forgot butter and bourbon (au Poivre sauce)

This was fun to think about...

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Almost forgot butter and bourbon (au Poivre sauce)

This was fun to think about...

I have a number 10 can of freeze dried powdered butter that has a stupid long shelf life. The butter will not only flavor things and make a lot of baking possible, it also adds a lot of fat and calories to a SHTF diet.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A number of people have talked about black pepper, but saying ground.

I would stock pepper corns. You can grind to the coarseness desired. And they should keep longer.

accokeek

MDS Supporter
    Mar 4, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    If any of you guys haven't been to The Restaurant Store, you should go. They have several locations around. Its a restaurant supply store and they have bulk spices and high quality equipment for amazing prices. Its like a candy store to me. I always find something cool.

https://www.therestaurantstore.com/
    Many thanks! A great find and not too far to drive for pickup. FWIW, they have bulk whole peppercorns cheaper than the commissary even

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Furikaki is good for rice, onion powder, the freeze dried herbs work well, and bay leaves for stews and curries.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom