• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My son is doing online college course starting in a week or so. Should be interesting, his AR will be on the wall behind him. Hopefully will be joined by an Arisaka after this weekend. I would hope college would be safe for this, but God knows. Everyone in my house is an adult/has taken a hunter's safety course, so only the NFA stuff needs locked up (for now).

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    My son is doing online college course starting in a week or so. Should be interesting, his AR will be on the wall behind him. Hopefully will be joined by an Arisaka after this weekend. I would hope college would be safe for this, but God knows. Everyone in my house is an adult/has taken a hunter's safety course, so only the NFA stuff needs locked up (for now).

That should get his college career off to a rousing start! Which Indoctrination Center is it? Oberlin or Hillsdale?

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Don't know about local yokels that are just getting into online college, but I did most of my AA to BS online at UMUC. I didn't even have a camera on my computer. Tech has changed a lot since then (2001), but any two way conversations were done in chat groups. Of course, the fact that I had "classmates" all around the world, made getting everyone together at the same time tough.

My son stopped going (AACC) for a while because we haven't figured out how you conduct effective Culinary classes on line. Exactly how do you critique someone's cooking skills from a submitted picture?

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD

If I had a kid I would set an area up with an American flag and a portrait of President Trump just like any classroom when I was growing up. I'm pretty sure if any idiot liberal teachers or administrators were to say anything about it I would have lawyers lined up a mile deep to take the case.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    If I had a kid I would set an area up with an American flag and a portrait of President Trump just like any classroom when I was growing up. I'm pretty sure if any idiot liberal teachers or administrators were to say anything about it I would have lawyers lined up a mile deep to take the case.

Brilliant!

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD

Portrait? or life size cardboard cut out? :)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Portrait? or life size cardboard cut out? :)

One? Or all three?

iu

iu

iu

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    School Calls Cops on 12-Year-Old Boy Who Held Toy Gun During Zoom Class

Isaiah Elliott, a 12-year-old boy who lives in Colorado Springs, Colorado, is fond of his neon green Nerf gun—which has the words "ZOMBIE HUNTER" written on it.

Last week, during a virtual classroom session, Elliott briefly picked up his toy gun, causing it to appear on screen for just a few seconds. This was noticed by his teacher, who promptly alerted the authorities. As a result, the police paid a visit to Elliott's home and the school suspended him for five days.

The teacher was fairly certain the gun was a toy, according to local news station KDVR. But instead of checking with the parents to assuage any doubts, the school went straight to the cops.

In a statement, the district explained that all school board policies would be enforced regardless of whether "we are in-person learning or distance learning."

"We take the safety of all our students and staff very seriously," said the district. "Safety is always our number one priority."

This explanation—we are just enforcing the policy equally—might make make more sense if the policy itself was logical, but deploying the police to deal with a nerf gun would have been ridiculous even if the incident took place in a physical classroom. The fact that the other students were, in this case, even further removed from the nonexistent danger just makes the situation even more ridiculous.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-07-at-2.21.07-PM.png

https://reason.com/2020/09/07/zoom-nerf-gun-school-cops-kid-isaiah-elliott/

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Loosely related: When my daughter was in kindergarten (12 years ago), a boy (2nd grader) on her bus told her that he was going to bring his gun to school and shoot her. She told my wife and I that evening. We gave a lot of thought to our response. I was 99.99% sure that it was just a boy being a boy and there was no risk. My wife was maybe 90% sure. Our options were:

* Do nothing
    * Call the school
    * Call/visit the parents directly to discuss

Knowing the zero tolerance environment that schools had already become at that time I was leaning heavily toward option #3. I hated the idea of the police being called for what I was sure was nothing. That said, when it’s your kid, you take no chances. We live in a small, rural area and it was easy to track down their house with the few clues a kindergartner could give. Figured I could show up with the proverbial six pack and have a talk with dad. My wife ultimately talked me out of that by reminding me that not everyone is a reasonable parent.

I had a good rapport with the assistant principal so I paid him a visit the following morning. He asked if I was OK with him speaking to the boy and his parents before taking any further action, or did I want the police called. I gave him the go-ahead to talk with them and use his judgement. His judgment backed up the thinking that it was just a boy being a boy and that no further action was needed. That’s the happy end to the story. I don’t think it would have gone the same way today.

Time to take positive action to protect one's privacy at home. It's time to limit the angles the camera captures, limiting the field of view to only include the face and nothing else. A couple ways:
    1. tape and pinhole the camera lens. Adjust size to so the minimum is viewed.
    2. place a toilet-paper-tube over the lens so that the FOV is limited
    3. Place a virtual background up. This will help unless something moves within the frame. Moving an airsoft from side-to-side will obviate the virtual background, so it may only be good to hide the armory of toys on the wall.
    4. Experiment with iPhone aux lenses - a telephoto.

From a legal perspective, someone needs to take the teacher, school principal, and the school board (as a class action) to get these draconian rules changed. One rule that seems to be in place but seems to be ignored is the recording of the lesson sessions. Sue to get the rules followed. Home is not the classroom. There is no possible harm that can exercised over a video call. . Kids bring, and play with toys at school. Check the teachers' desks to see what they have confiscated in the past. Make the police get a search warrant. Make sure the police report reports that a toy was located - NOT a toy gun. This castigating kids and parents for finger "guns", Pop-Tart "guns", toys, and legitimately owned hobbyist or competition objects has to stop! It needs a legal solution at a federal level.

Jroc

Nov 26, 2019
    White Marsh
    I can’t believe what we have come to as a society. Effective communication would resolve soo many issues but it seems almost impossible nowadays. Everyone is soo opinionated and always right.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    This has been a problem since back when I was in school; all it takes is some Karen-esque hippie teacher who decides you're a bad egg, and they'll try to ruin your life. Kids really have no rights while in public school, and it's more glaringly obvious now than ever--hell, they don't even have to be at the school!

Used to be that the school's jurisdiction ended with the campus/buses. Then, as I was wrapping up high school, we started seeing crap like students getting suspended for getting in a fight in their own neighborhoods. Add social media to that, and you now have idiots reporting on children for going to the range, posting memes or pro-America content, and supposed instances of "racism"--look at the bottom line here: You have grown-ass adults Facebook-stalking children, and reporting them to the school. And now we have this? Tell me, since when did this halfassed attempt to wrap up the last school year turn into the school deciding what goes on in our homes? What authority do they have to require anything outside of their campus or buses? The answer should be "none".

I thank God Almighty that I don't have kids, and that my brother will be homeschooling his. IANAL, but I would recommend to every parent to just have their kid keep their webcam off--the school has no right to demand that you show them the interior of your home, and you should not have to bend over backwards to set up a space, or a green screen, or set a background in order to help facilitate their refusal to do their jobs and open the blasted schools. If they challenge you on it, dig in, make it abundantly clear that neither you nor they know who could be watching the stream, and you are not subjecting your child to any potential unknown individuals who may take advantage of the situation. If enough parents say they're uncomfortable with their children on camera for safety reasons, the schools will not be able to argue against it, not without them worrying that they're creating the potential for a class-action suit.

This is the United States of America, not the "citizens of the world" bullcrap that the left likes to push. Our kids do have the same unalienable rights as us, and we need to back them up. This is not Japan, where the school all but owns your children, and can dictate everything in so far as what clothes they wear, where they're allowed to go during the week, and what hobbies they're allowed to have.

Also, to any lawyers: Is there any argument for a 1st or 4th Amendment violation if the schools penalize any students for not revealing themselves or their homes on camera? I should think if Law Enforcement should have to have a warrant to have a look around your home, then the schools should at least have a waiver that parents can refuse to sign--without having their child penalized in any way, of course; we're still paying taxes for this ********, even though the schools are closed, after all.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    The students need to be allowed to blur their backgrounds or change it.

Some kids already are logging into class with false foul language names instead of their real names. It is truly a mess and shows which kids actual have active parents and which don’t.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

Some kids already are logging into class with false foul language names instead of their real names. It is truly a mess and shows which kids actual have active parents and which don’t.

My wife teaches in Baltimore county and students are not required to show their face or room while in class. They can turn their camera off. They also cannot change their screen name since it is tied into their authorized school email address and log in credentials.

Mat be possible in other areas however.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Your kids need to report every "questionable" act or comment by the teacher, down to the slightest hint of a threat or intimidation.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    AACO, like a lot of school systems, is trying to deal with the problem of random people just jumping into Google Meets and shitting on them.

If the systems had in place email/login identities for every kid, these things wouldn't be a problem; or if Google Meet allowed for a password to enter like Zoom.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Google is supposed to be getting this ready to launch by next month. There's some work arounds that work, but they are more complicated than they are worth for most individual families. A lot of the teachers are using them pretty effectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom