• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Wave or ripple?

https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/

Almost half of the 2900 fatalities have been in nursing home/institutional settings.....and almost certainly all/nearly all of those had serious underlying conditions......

What we really need to know is who died WITH the rona vs who died FROM it....

By the numbers...Covid has a fatality rate thats like a bad seasonal flu AND it hits the same vulnerable population that is predisposed anyway

Only stat that folks should be following are hospitalization rates......which is still falling in Md

Shouldnt be another over reaction by government so long as people flatten the irrational fear associated with this.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Wave or ripple?

Almost half of the 2900 fatalities have been in nursing home/institutional settings.....and almost certainly all/nearly all of those had serious underlying conditions......

By the numbers...Covid has a fatality rate thats like a bad seasonal flu AND it hits the same vulnerable population that is predisposed anyway

Only stat that folks should be following are hospitalization rates......which is still falling in Md

Shouldnt be another over reaction by government so long as people flatten the irrational fear associated with this.

Bad seasonal flu? We've been taking extraordinary measures compared to what we normally do for even a bad flu season with well over 3x as many deaths as a bad seasonal flu.

Actual death rate appears to be between 10-30x worse than the regular flu. Estimated at around 2x more fatal than the 1918 flu pandemic untreated (keeping in mind we have much better health care now than then). Also more contagious.

The vast majority of the "died with COVID" cases the person died because of it. They might have had a co-morbidity that resulted in them being vulnerable, but that's like saying a person died in a car accident because they were old and a younger person would have survived. Or they had a heart condition which predisposed them to die in the car accident.

No health department that I am aware of is reporting a death as COVID related when someone, say, falls down steps and dies and had tested positive.

Rosiest scenario based on the few good antibody studies (a number have been complete crap, not even worth the bytes the electronic papers were composed of) comes in at around .7% all age mortality rate. BUT those studies are still only surveying the most accessible populaces for their larger studies and only in major metropolitan areas. For example, Sweden did a study just in Stockholm on antibodies. Came in at ~7% had. From what I can find about 20+% of their COVID related deaths are in and around Stockholm. That works out to somewhat north of 1% all age. And Sweden has a much better health system than the US (BTW Sweden's health authority that has screwed the pooch says under .7%, but they only did antibody testing in Stockholm and extrapolated for the entire country, even though the most infections and deaths per 100k people have been in and around Stockholm).

NY also found somewhere around .6-.7%. But their study only did antibody assays on people at big box stores and grocery stores. Not those actually staying home. So the people most like to have gotten sick.

Lastly all countries have been missing deaths related to COVID. Looking at excess mortality numbers vs reported COVID deaths Denmark seems to be one of the best in the world at only having about 15-20% more deaths than reported COVID deaths that are "unexplained" compared to the running 5 year average. The US BTW was around 50%. Ecuador was around 2000%. That was by late May.

So that would translate to a real 150,000-180,000 deaths in the US. Probably closer to 150,000 as testing rates have been increasing so likely fewer missed deaths related to COVID, but then again a whole lot of those deaths were in April and early May (well, for now) and NY, NJ and CT appeared to be missing a LOT of deaths (they themselves admitted probably 50% more than was reported, but that still didn't capture total excess deaths).

So yeah, my risk factor is low being in my late 30s and in great health. There is a decent chance I'd be asymptomatic in the end. Theodore Roosevelt in the end had something around 1200 infections on the carrier. Average age of those infected was 30. I'd imagine they were mostly in much better health than the average American likely with no or rare there were any co-morbidities. 1 sailor died, only a few were severely ill. A few dozen hospitalized. Total final asymptomatic rate was around 23% (it was more like 60% early on, but over the course of weeks a lot more eventually developed symptoms). Of those asymptomatic probably some had atypical symptoms (that's been one of the issues with asymptomatic cases. Closer examination shows a lot of people have atypical symptoms and that usually gets reported as asymptomatic. Like having the runs, some insomnia and a bit tired).

But there are still lots and lots of people perfectly healthy in their tens, twenties and thirties with no health issues dying of it. Way more than what you'd see from the flu. During the 1918 flu pandemic young healthy people were rarely dying from it as well. The rate of hospitalization and death for younger adults and teens is still well above what the flu causes. Its just that if you are over 80, you've got about even odds of surviving an infection.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Wave or ripple?

BTW yes, MD looks pretty good still. Look at other states like FL and TX however. We don't live in isolation. The seeds of the infections in FL and TX got there somehow. Unless we lock down the boarders of other states, it'll spread more here because of other states having higher counts.

Heck, just looking at the behavior of people I've seen and know it's going to start picking up in MD also. Went by my TH because of a tenant issue a couple of days ago. I saw several large groups of neighbors just hanging out on their lawns together. Drinking, talking. Like groups of 10-15 in a space of 500-600sq-ft sitting around in chairs and standing. I guess that's a little better than hanging out inside. A little. I know a number of friends and a lot of neighbors who've basically gone back to living life like normal with just slight modifications.

Infections lag by about 2-3 weeks after exposures pick up. Hospitalizations lag about 2 weeks behind diagnosis. Deaths lag about a week behind hospitalizations. We've been doing things to slow the spread, which is great. It does mean that instead of a rapid spike like NY, NJ and CT saw, its a slower rate of increase. That doesn't mean it can't get as high or higher. It also means most likely many governors are going to be slow in implementing any measures to reduce spread. Odds are good a lot of governors won't do anything even if it gets bad. They and a lot of the populace don't have any appetite for another lock down or increased restrictions. That's the problem with doing it badly. You don't really get the virus under control, but you still harm the economy and people get bored with things. It was still better than not doing anything for the economy and of course saved lives. But the 2nd wave is likely to be much worse than the 1st for all of those reasons.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    BTW yes, MD looks pretty good still. Look at other states like FL and TX however. We don't live in isolation. The seeds of the infections in FL and TX got there somehow. Unless we lock down the boarders of other states, it'll spread more here because of other states having higher counts.

Heck, just looking at the behavior of people I've seen and know it's going to start picking up in MD also. Went by my TH because of a tenant issue a couple of days ago. I saw several large groups of neighbors just hanging out on their lawns together. Drinking, talking. Like groups of 10-15 in a space of 500-600sq-ft sitting around in chairs and standing. I guess that's a little better than hanging out inside. A little. I know a number of friends and a lot of neighbors who've basically gone back to living life like normal with just slight modifications.

Infections lag by about 2-3 weeks after exposures pick up. Hospitalizations lag about 2 weeks behind diagnosis. Deaths lag about a week behind hospitalizations. We've been doing things to slow the spread, which is great. It does mean that instead of a rapid spike like NY, NJ and CT saw, its a slower rate of increase. That doesn't mean it can't get as high or higher. It also means most likely many governors are going to be slow in implementing any measures to reduce spread. Odds are good a lot of governors won't do anything even if it gets bad. They and a lot of the populace don't have any appetite for another lock down or increased restrictions. That's the problem with doing it badly. You don't really get the virus under control, but you still harm the economy and people get bored with things. It was still better than not doing anything for the economy and of course saved lives. But the 2nd wave is likely to be much worse than the 1st for all of those reasons.

Adjusted for population, both Florida and Texas have fewer cases per/million.

Their rate of death is alarmingly lower compared to Maryland when adjusted for population.

Maryland is 11th in the nation for rate of death and 10th for the number of cases when adjusted for population.

By your rationale, we should be preventing Marylanders from going to other states because Maryland is the largest source of infection and death compared to any of our contiguous neighbors other than DC.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    What will sell out first in a wintertime pandemic? How will you spend your time during a winter quarantine?

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Bad seasonal flu? We've been taking extraordinary measures compared to what we normally do for even a bad flu season with well over 3x as many deaths as a bad seasonal flu.

Actual death rate appears to be between 10-30x worse than the regular flu. Estimated at around 2x more fatal than the 1918 flu pandemic untreated (keeping in mind we have much better health care now than then). Also more contagious.

The vast majority of the "died with COVID" cases the person died because of it. They might have had a co-morbidity that resulted in them being vulnerable, but that's like saying a person died in a car accident because they were old and a younger person would have survived. Or they had a heart condition which predisposed them to die in the car accident.

No health department that I am aware of is reporting a death as COVID related when someone, say, falls down steps and dies and had tested positive.

Rosiest scenario based on the few good antibody studies (a number have been complete crap, not even worth the bytes the electronic papers were composed of) comes in at around .7% all age mortality rate. BUT those studies are still only surveying the most accessible populaces for their larger studies and only in major metropolitan areas. For example, Sweden did a study just in Stockholm on antibodies. Came in at ~7% had. From what I can find about 20+% of their COVID related deaths are in and around Stockholm. That works out to somewhat north of 1% all age. And Sweden has a much better health system than the US (BTW Sweden's health authority that has screwed the pooch says under .7%, but they only did antibody testing in Stockholm and extrapolated for the entire country, even though the most infections and deaths per 100k people have been in and around Stockholm).

NY also found somewhere around .6-.7%. But their study only did antibody assays on people at big box stores and grocery stores. Not those actually staying home. So the people most like to have gotten sick.

Lastly all countries have been missing deaths related to COVID. Looking at excess mortality numbers vs reported COVID deaths Denmark seems to be one of the best in the world at only having about 15-20% more deaths than reported COVID deaths that are "unexplained" compared to the running 5 year average. The US BTW was around 50%. Ecuador was around 2000%. That was by late May.

So that would translate to a real 150,000-180,000 deaths in the US. Probably closer to 150,000 as testing rates have been increasing so likely fewer missed deaths related to COVID, but then again a whole lot of those deaths were in April and early May (well, for now) and NY, NJ and CT appeared to be missing a LOT of deaths (they themselves admitted probably 50% more than was reported, but that still didn't capture total excess deaths).

So yeah, my risk factor is low being in my late 30s and in great health. There is a decent chance I'd be asymptomatic in the end. Theodore Roosevelt in the end had something around 1200 infections on the carrier. Average age of those infected was 30. I'd imagine they were mostly in much better health than the average American likely with no or rare there were any co-morbidities. 1 sailor died, only a few were severely ill. A few dozen hospitalized. Total final asymptomatic rate was around 23% (it was more like 60% early on, but over the course of weeks a lot more eventually developed symptoms). Of those asymptomatic probably some had atypical symptoms (that's been one of the issues with asymptomatic cases. Closer examination shows a lot of people have atypical symptoms and that usually gets reported as asymptomatic. Like having the runs, some insomnia and a bit tired).

But there are still lots and lots of people perfectly healthy in their tens, twenties and thirties with no health issues dying of it. Way more than what you'd see from the flu. During the 1918 flu pandemic young healthy people were rarely dying from it as well. The rate of hospitalization and death for younger adults and teens is still well above what the flu causes. Its just that if you are over 80, you've got about even odds of surviving an infection.

What flavor kool aide you taking karen?

The "shutdowns" have been ignored by largely everyone that could possbly ignore them

You've also been packing into supermarkets nose to tail since these shenanigans started.....and pretty much everyone does it every week WITH their snot nose kids in tow touching everything with their mucus covered hands

So no....there hasnt been a shutdown and people HAVENT been isolated......theylve been exposing themselves all along

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Adjusted for population, both Florida and Texas have fewer cases per/million.

Their rate of death is alarmingly lower compared to Maryland when adjusted for population.

Maryland is 11th in the nation for rate of death and 10th for the number of cases when adjusted for population.

By your rationale, we should be preventing Marylanders from going to other states because Maryland is the largest source of infection and death compared to any of our contiguous neighbors other than DC.

Not just Maryland.....

Look at all of the dumb donk dump cities.......

First off in NY they stopped TESTING people early on UNLESS a pos rona confirmation would change treatment of the patient......

Secondly....they've been declaring large numbers of deaths to be Rona deaths despite no rona test......WTF......this in part accounts for PART of the disproportionate numbers of "Rona Deaths" in NY and NJ

Third......despite all of the above.....it would appear that the treatment protocols the trained bears in the NY hospitals are following were substituted with protocols for Euthenasia..........cuz it LOOKS like nearly everyone that landed in the ICU died......

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Sort by deaths/1m population and what do you get?

A list where the 11 of the top 12 Rona death states are donk dump states/cities.......

Living in a Dem state appears to be a death sentence by the numbers wrt Rona......

NJ is the worst at 1709/m.....followed closely by NY......only because upstate NY balanced out the donk stupidity in NYC

Maryland is less than 1/3 of NJ at 528

NH is way down the list at 273/million

I fear the coming exodus of idiots from the donk dump cities but at the same time HOPE that many/most of them have been red pilled by their experiences under dem leadership

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    We like to be prepared in general, kind of like having a gun......just in case you may need it. We did start making a list of how fast we actually go through necessities for whatever the next reason we need them for. Do I think there might be a second wave, sure. Would I rather have and not need vs need and not have, absolutely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom