• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    What about 2,3(h)? Maybe I slid through the cracks?

I have no idea, where do you live? If in DC you don't need another state's permit.

The people that process permits aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer either. My first permit had the wrong address on it.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    If you don't have a residence or business in DC yes, you do.

Contrary to the opinion of some on this thread the MPD aren't asking because they want to be neighborly FFS.

I say again, prove it. Knowing something is not the same as proving something.

Please cite legislation, policy or regulation specifically that states 'must have another CCW permit' and I will accept that you were right.

I thought DC was shall issue since the Heller case in 2008, that is why your push with trying to say that a permit elsewhere is required to get a DC permit seems off to me.

Besides if that were the case, then I would just go get my Utah first, and then apply for a DC later.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    I google'd "is washington dc a shall issue state for non residents"

and came up with this.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
      Untitled.jpg
      77.7 KB · Views: 316

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    For my last DC renewal there were 2 others in the class. A TV/radio personality (not from DC) and a politician (not from DC). Neither had a permit from their home state. We spent a few minutes on the topic and moved on. The instructor is well aware of how and what it takes to secure a DC permit, I never gave it a second thought until reading this. When DC was "may issue" I'm sure that you needed your home state permit, but it must not be a requirement now?

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    So you think that they just want to see it because they like playing Show and Tell with you? Okay sure, let's go with that instead of because it's actually in the statute. :lol2:

Be as snarky, blustery and buffoonish as you want. It still will not change the fact that you are wrong. You continue to spew out incorrect information and when challenged on it you just double down on your ignorance.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    I've got a DC permit and have since when they were actually May Issue but WTF do I know.
    I'm not doing the research for you, let your fingers do the walking and look up the statute yourself if you don't believe me.

ETA: you don't need a home state permit to get a NR DC permit, Utah works just fine but you probably won't believe that either.

Maybe things were different in the May Issue Era. I don't know.
    In the Shall Issue Era a non-resident applicant does not need a permit.
    It's great that you won't do the research for someone here -- hopefully in the real world no one actually relies on your research either because so far its pretty atrocious.

Again, you do not actually know what you are talking about -- in fact you are 100% wrong. But keep telling us how right you are.

Last edited:

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    If you don't have a residence or business in DC yes, you do.

(f) Has a bona fide residence or place of business:
    (1) Within the District of Columbia;
    (2) Within the United States and a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person
    issued by the lawful authorities of any State or subdivision of the United States; OR
    (3) Within the United States and meets all registration and licensing requirements pursuant to
    the Act;
    (h) Is a suitable person to be so licensed.

Contrary to the opinion of some on this thread the MPD aren't asking because they want to be neighborly FFS.

I guess you missed the OR between (2) and (3).
    It's not the opinion of some on this thread.
    It is the actual correct interpretation of the statute -- something that seems to continuously escape you.

Last edited:

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    I have no idea, where do you live? If in DC you don't need another state's permit.

The people that process permits aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer either. My first permit had the wrong address on it.

They may give out wrong information sometimes but they are always pleasant to deal with.

Your continued insistence on an incorrect interpretation of the law is frankly astonishing.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    For my last DC renewal there were 2 others in the class. A TV/radio personality (not from DC) and a politician (not from DC). Neither had a permit from their home state. We spent a few minutes on the topic and moved on. The instructor is well aware of how and what it takes to secure a DC permit, I never gave it a second thought until reading this. When DC was "may issue" I'm sure that you needed your home state permit, but it must not be a requirement now?

There is no requirement for a non-resident DC applicant to already posess another jurisdiction's permit.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Last post for now.

If I felt like making a poll maybe we could make this more interesting.

Anyway:

Since remote learning seems to be the item of the day, lets have some fun:

The correct answer to the following statement is yes or no:

"it would be correct to say that non-dc residents do not need to have a ccw permit from somewhere else before applying for a DC permit."

Everyone can vote!

Maybe later I will post the answer from the only person that matters.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Yes, it actually is true. Here's the application, note question 20.

https://dcgov.seamlessdocs.com/f/ConcealedCarryPistolLicenseApplication

Here are the instructions for completing the application. Note item 3.

https://dcgov.seamlessdocs.com/f/InstructionsForConcealedCarryPistolLicenseApplication

When applying online the documentation needed for residence do you submit that when you visit the office? And do you need that if you already have firearms registered with them?

PS And this is for a DC resident permit so don't need clarification on NR permit question!!!!

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Show me proof, the two links you posted are not proof. That and the fact I have read in law review articles that DC is a may issue territory I think they will happily hand out NR permits to those who are not disqualified and have taken the training.

I guess I am going to have to chew on MSR and see what the DC permit instructors there say, I would being close to DC they know a bit about getting the permit.

I was hoping someone who just has a DC permit would chime in, as the gentlemen with the DC and MD permit's doesn't really apply to me because I do not have a MD permit.

The two links aren't proof?

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury I give you exhibit one, the DC Permit Application https://mpdc.dc.gov/sites/default/f...ncealed Carry License Application_10 5 17.pdf

The last five questions on the application (bolded mine):

If you answer yes to any of the next five questions, you must attach the
    additional documentation as described on the Instructions form.

16. □ Yes □ No Are you seeking to register a pistol concurrently with this application?
    17. □ Yes □ No Do you currently suffer – or have you suffered in the past five years – from any
    mental illness or condition that creates a substantial risk that you are a danger
    to yourself or others?
    18. □ Yes □ No Do you have a bona fide residence in the District of Columbia?
    19. □ Yes □ No Do you have a bona fide place of business in the District of Columbia?
    20. □ Yes □ No Do you have a bona fide residence or place of business in the United States and
    are licensed to carry a concealed pistol by another State?

Exhibit two, the instructions to fill out the DC permit application:

https://mpdc.dc.gov/sites/default/f...License Application Instructions_10 05 17.pdf

From the instructions (again, bolded is mine):

o If you checked “Yes” to Question 19, you must provide documentation, such as a valid business
    license or certificate of occupancy, that shows the name and address of the business.
    o If you answered “Yes” to Question 20, then you must provide the same types of documentation
    as required for Questions 18 or 19 and proof of concealed carry permit/license issued by
    another state.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I google'd "is washington dc a shall issue state for non residents"

and came up with this.

Keep looking on that web site.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/dc-gun-laws/#recStates

District of Columbia Concealed Carry Permit Information
    REQUIREMENTS:
    An applicant must:

Be 21 or older;
    Possess a registered pistol, or register one at time of CCPL application;
    Have a bona fide residence or place of business:
    Within the District of Columbia,
    Within the United States and a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by the lawful authorities of any state or subdivision of the United States, or
    Within the United States and meet all registration and licensing requirements;

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom