Close to DC
    Quote to edit and update
    8/7 - application accepted
    9/9 - "reassigned to new investigator"
    9/14 - called for phone interview, references contacted that day and next

9/24 - waiting for word...

Se7eN

Sep 30, 2020
    I hear there are sample letters available from MSP for employment/clearance verification if, like me, you're using that as G&S for a permit. I'm looking around on the application website but don't see those yet. Anyone have a link they can share to that?
    Did you ever get a link to the employment/clearance verification template?

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Did you ever get a link to the employment/clearance verification template?

I never did. It turned out my CSSO had done a few letters over the past while (year or less), so he had a format that had been accepted. Replace the previous person's name with mine, and that was done.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Good morning all. I just received confirmation that I was part of the big OPM hack. I never got the original notification so I wrote them a few weeks back to check and got the letter the other day. I’ve heard this qualifies as a good and substantial reason (as it should). Can anyone walk me through that or have any experience with using this reasoning? I don’t want to spend all the money and go through all the hassle to just be denied. Any information will be helpful!
    Thank you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chiefscs

Sep 27, 2017
    SoMd
    It was my experience when I applied 3 years ago that the OPM hack wasn't enough. I did my one-on-one after being denied and was further denied. I got it overturned at the Handgun Review Board but it was a fight because I "only" had a secret security clearance. What got me through with the board was my continued employment with DAF and knowledge of "secrets" with regard to warfighting equipment and work in a SCIF for part of my duties coupled with severe back injuries including bolts and metal holding me together (inability to fight/run). I spent a lot of time explaining that secret clearances cover a lot of ground and the job I was performing could easily have been rated TS, and that I supervised more than one person that actually had the TS. Also produced letter to all members from the General identifying known threats to watch for. It was not easy. Point is, the State Police couldn't have cared less that the bad guys had my and my family/friends' information from the OPM breech. I was stunned. After going through the entire process, it took a year to get through all the wickets and receive my W&C. My best advice is to be prepared -- the OPM breech is not enough, or at least it wasn't 3 years ago. Good luck.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Quote to edit and update
    8/7 - application accepted
    9/9 - "reassigned to new investigator"
    9/14 - called for phone interview, references contacted that day and next

9/24 - waiting for word...

10/30 - emailed status update (logged in to see approved!)
    11/2 - approval letter and actual permit arrived!

So that's about 87 days, but subtract weekends and holidays I suppose.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    8/18- application submitted
    9/28- assigned to an investigator
    9/29- assigned to a new investigator
    10/13- had my interview
    11/8- email and logged into MSP to see “Approved”

Now I am waiting on my license to arrive!

Chris05STi

Jul 15, 2012
    Question for anyone with anyone with a TS or S. Did MSP contact your boss at work? Just started my application after I completed the required 16hr training and live fire!

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Question for anyone with anyone with a TS or S. Did MSP contact your boss at work? Just started my application after I completed the required 16hr training and live fire!

AFAIK they don't reach out to contact your employer. You need to provide written certification from your FSO or someone similar that you do have that active TS. And a Secret won't get you nuthin, from everything I've heard.

Good luck on the app, keep us posted!

Chris05STi

Jul 15, 2012
    AFAIK they don't reach out to contact your employer. You need to provide written certification from your FSO or someone similar that you do have that active TS. And a Secret won't get you nuthin, from everything I've heard.

Good luck on the app, keep us posted!

Thanks, yah I won't have any issues :)

Will let everyone know once I submit and the timeline for everything!

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Applying for My Wear & Carry

We pulled the trigger so to speak, a good friend is who is a current (Prosecution States Attorney) clerking for a Judge gave me some pointers along with an endorsement for my MD wear and carry. The USCG personnel under Title 14 USC are Federal LEOs and Custom Officers.

Authority as a law enforcement agency

Title 14 USC, section 2 authorizes the Coast Guard to enforce U.S. federal laws.[33] This authority is further defined in 14 U.S.C. § 522, which gives law enforcement powers to all Coast Guard commissioned officers, warrant officers, and petty officers.[34] Unlike the other branches of the United States Armed Forces, which are prevented from acting in a law enforcement capacity by 18 U.S.C. § 1385, the Posse Comitatus Act, and Department of Defense policy, the Coast Guard is exempt from and not subject to the restrictions of the Posse Comitatus Act.[35]

Further law enforcement authority is given by 14 U.S.C. § 703 and 19 U.S.C. § 1401, which empower U.S. Coast Guard active and reserve commissioned officers, warrant officers, and petty officers as federal customs officers.[36][37] This places them under 19 U.S.C. § 1589a, which grants customs officers general federal law enforcement authority, including the authority to:

(1) carry a firearm;
    (2) execute and serve any order, warrant, subpoena, summons, or other process issued under the authority of the United States;
    (3) make an arrest without a warrant for any offense against the United States committed in the officer's presence or for a felony, cognizable under the laws of the United States committed outside the officer's presence if the officer has reasonable grounds to believe that the person to be arrested has committed or is committing a felony; and
    (4) perform any other law enforcement duty that the Secretary of Homeland Security may designate.

— 19 USC §1589a. Enforcement authority of customs officers[38]

Along with my clearances and Judge endorsement should get me in the door.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    We pulled the trigger so to speak, a good friend is who is a current (Prosecution States Attorney) clerking for a Judge gave me some pointers along with an endorsement for my MD wear and carry. The USCG personnel under Title 14 USC are Federal LEOs and Custom Officers.

Authority as a law enforcement agency

Title 14 USC, section 2 authorizes the Coast Guard to enforce U.S. federal laws.[33] This authority is further defined in 14 U.S.C. § 522, which gives law enforcement powers to all Coast Guard commissioned officers, warrant officers, and petty officers.[34] Unlike the other branches of the United States Armed Forces, which are prevented from acting in a law enforcement capacity by 18 U.S.C. § 1385, the Posse Comitatus Act, and Department of Defense policy, the Coast Guard is exempt from and not subject to the restrictions of the Posse Comitatus Act.[35]

Further law enforcement authority is given by 14 U.S.C. § 703 and 19 U.S.C. § 1401, which empower U.S. Coast Guard active and reserve commissioned officers, warrant officers, and petty officers as federal customs officers.[36][37] This places them under 19 U.S.C. § 1589a, which grants customs officers general federal law enforcement authority, including the authority to:

(1) carry a firearm;
    (2) execute and serve any order, warrant, subpoena, summons, or other process issued under the authority of the United States;
    (3) make an arrest without a warrant for any offense against the United States committed in the officer's presence or for a felony, cognizable under the laws of the United States committed outside the officer's presence if the officer has reasonable grounds to believe that the person to be arrested has committed or is committing a felony; and
    (4) perform any other law enforcement duty that the Secretary of Homeland Security may designate.

— 19 USC §1589a. Enforcement authority of customs officers[38]

Along with my clearances and Judge endorsement should get me in the door.

I think that may qualify you as LEOSA, but I've never heard of it helping MD permit

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom