• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • So I bought an inexpensive assemble yourself traditions side lock percussion 50 caliber pistol kit. I haven't finished a firearm stock in decades and was wondering if anyone here has any recommendation for what product to use to finish the frame of this pistol. I want something that's going to be durable and seal the grain from the elements. I plan on hunting with this gun during the upcoming primitive weapons season the first weekend in February.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I can tell you the wood is cheap stuff. I tried just tung oil and it was VERY light and blemished. I stripped it down and I think used a chestnut stain to get it darker. I was going to just polycrylic it and be done but decided to use gunwax. I'm sure there are better ways there but just pointing out the cheapness of the wood they use. I may have taken pictures. I"m more of an example of what NOT to do.

I can tell you the wood is cheap stuff. I tried just tung oil and it was VERY light and blemished. I stripped it down and I think used a chestnut stain to get it darker. I was going to just polycrylic it and be done but decided to use gunwax. I'm sure there are better ways there but just pointing out the cheapness of the wood they use. I may have taken pictures. I"m more of an example of what NOT to do.

Yeah I don't suspect they would use decent quality wood on a pistol kit that was less than $200. The last firearm stock I finished was on a Winchester model 94 that had its finished damaged by the overuse of mosquito repellent. That one turned out really nice it was also 30 years ago. I was just thinking there might be a better product than the stain that I used 30 years ago. I'm not looking for professional results and I'm not looking for historically correct. I just want something that will last and protect the wood from moisture.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It was just behind me on the shelf so I put a coat of wax on and took some pics
    fbf5a75be0bd6887f8f4039237bad127.jpg

f09ba56c156a49ce7f5c00d45ecc1c4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    Aqua fortis (Ferric nitrate)! I love the way it brings out the contrasts in the grain. It's easy and cheap. You can order ferric nitrate in crystalized form and just add water or alcohol if you don't want to raise the grain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom