• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DonS

Feb 28, 2018
    Sorry if this has already been asked. Searched and no find.
    I have a CVA Missouri Muzzleloader in 50 cal. that I bought and used years ago (20). I used to use FFG real black powder and round balls. My question is can I use BP substitutes like 777 in pellets and sabots? Also, what is max load? 2 pellets (100g)? I used to use 80g BP with the round balls. No help from CVA as their ownership has changed and no data on the old muzzleloaders. Any help would be great. Would like to be able to use what I already have on hand. Thanks.
    DonS

DonS

Feb 28, 2018
    Yes, it is the side hammer no. 11 caps. I thought that might be the right answer. Do you know if 777 fffg will work, normally use bp fog. How about sabots?

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Sidelocks don't always ignite the pellets as well but I think that a 100g load should be fine. I used to have a CVA hawken .50 and I liked a 60g load for target shooting and I would do about 100g for hunting. Pyrodex or 777 powder should be fine. FF or FFF. Remember that the finer the powder the more the same charge measured by volume will be so if you go from ffg to fffg you would need to reduce the volume to stay at the same charge.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I personally would never run pellets in a side lock. Lots of differences in the breech design that can leave an air gap behind the pellets that is NOT good and would still yield ignition reliability problems.

Side lock is designed for Powder.

DonS

Feb 28, 2018
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll try 70gr of fff triple 7 powder to start, with sabots.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll try 70gr of fff triple 7 powder to start, with sabots.

I don't know what the twist rate is on that rifle but if it is a traditional very slow twist rate it might do well with patched round balls. Plus they are fun to use and very traditional. My hawken shot really well with them.

According to google it might be 1:48 or 1:66 twist depending on whether it is just a Missouri or a Missouri Ranger. Either of those could do very well with a patched round ball.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As noted , Pellets might or might not reliably ignite .

As noted , powder 777 will most probably work fine , worst case , and small charge of real Black underneath the 777 .

1:48 - ish was intended to be a compromise between full diameter Conicals and Round Ball . How well it would work with Sabot is for you to find out .

FFFG will burn faster than FFG , thus more velocity and more pressure for same charge weight . Totally oversimplified arbitrary rule of thumb - +/- 75gr FFFG roughly similar to +/- 100gr FFG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom