• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Getting ready to purchase a Leopuld dot sight and I'm on the fence about the size. I'm mounting it on a M&P handgun for shooting steel.

If I do decide to take the occasional longer shots I'm thinking a 6 MOA might be to large?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Getting ready to purchase a Leopuld dot sight and I'm on the fence about the size. I'm mounting it on a M&P handgun for shooting steel.

If I do decide to take the occasional longer shots I'm thinking a 6 MOA might be to large?

For better or worse, I recently put a 6.5 MOA RMR on a G19 build. Had the same concern. For typical steel match distances? Perfect. Really helps my middle aged eyes quickly acquire targets (though I'm just getting used to presenting in a way that my eye finds it at all without a bit of a hunt). But while at a friend's a few weeks, ago, I decided to try the same rig on some 8" gongs that I paced off at 46 yards. Ding! Clang! Very usable at that distance. It's not like you're going to routinely shoot a pistol at 6" steel at 50 yards. I didn't find something in the 6 MOA neighborhood to be a problem at all, in terms of obscuring the target.

On a carbine/rifle? Different situation as I'd want to know I could use it on pie-plate sized things at 100 yards. But for steel, at typical distances on pistol, I think 2.5 is not helpful. Of course it would work. Just not as fast.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Occam, I was thinking the same about being able to pick the bigger dot up faster. Maybe the smaller dot guys have those young eyes.
    The RMR was a consideration but I've always liked the Leopuld guarantee

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Occam, I was thinking the same about being able to pick the bigger dot up faster. Maybe the smaller dot guys have those young eyes.

If you brighten up a smaller red dot it appears bigger. I guess the best thing to do is see each in person and decide that way. What might be right for you may not be right for some. Ala different strokes theme song.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

There’s really no substitute for actually looking through the different devices/flavors. Eyes, target type, shooting circumstances, arm length, so many variables.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    If you brighten up a smaller red dot it appears bigger. I guess the best thing to do is see each in person and decide that way. What might be right for you may not be right for some. Ala different strokes theme song.

Agreed, the Deltapoints are hard to find local right now though as is a lot of things.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    6moa is a pretty popular size for steel challenge, falling steel and uspsa. if you're taking your time and want really accurate shots then yeah something smaller. but if you're on the clock i think you'll want 6 or so for faster sight/target acquisition.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    All in application , what do you want to do. I see bigger better when I’m in a hurry.

I think I agree best with this statement, Steel? Yep, big dot 5-7 MOA, on my G40 10mm, I put a 2 MOA Burris FFIII on it, because I expect to shoot more precisely at distance with that particular pistol. Small dots on rifles.

WS88

Jan 5, 2021
    shoot competitively. went from a delta point pro 2.5 to a Romeo3 6moa, and it was the best thing i did. would highly recommend 6moa for pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom