• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Folks-

I like my ARs on the hefty side and I've only built one on my own.

Mrs. River recently purchased an AR-15 lower and wants to explore options for a light-weight build (NOT X-treme light-weight mind you) but on the less hefty side than mine. So I'm in search of suggestions for what parts and/or complete uppers the brain trust might recommend to make this project a reality.

I know there are probably slim pickins out there...but we aren't in any rush- so we don't have any issues with punching the "Let me know when it's back in stock" button on the websites for highly recommended parts--thanks in advance!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It seems to me that one can only go so far to reduce the weight of an AR rifle - there's just not that much to it that would even allow for relieving it of much weight.

You could get a fluted barrel, you could get a lightweight aluminum floating handguard, and I suppose there are lightweight stock options, but as it is, the AR platform is already made to be fairly lightweight - the upper and lowers are already aluminum, and the attaching hardware out of necessity needs to be steel.

I'm sure if you look you could probably find handguards, pistol grip and stock that are made from carbon fiber. That would shave a few ounces. Add a fluted barrel and to my way of thinking, that would probably get you close to where you want to go.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Christensen Arms and Proof Research make carbon fiber barrels. They are also marketed as HBAR for legal porpoises. They'll reduce the perception of weight and shift the balance of the rifle rearward.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Give her a M1 Garand to try...any AR will feel like a lightweight to her after that. Problem solved.

Fair point-- I should do a side by side for her. I pulled out my lightest AR for her yesterday to try out. 16" Criterion heavy barrel and 9 inch DD quad rail, ACOG optic. I'll match that up with the Garand today. I'm sure it will be an eye opener--but still want to help her make a rifle she'll be more inclined to want to shoot.

It seems to me that one can only go so far to reduce the weight of an AR rifle - there's just not that much to it that would even allow for relieving it of much weight.

You could get a fluted barrel, you could get a lightweight aluminum floating handguard, and I suppose there are lightweight stock options, but as it is, the AR platform is already made to be fairly lightweight - the upper and lowers are already aluminum, and the attaching hardware out of necessity needs to be steel.

I'm sure if you look you could probably find handguards, pistol grip and stock that are made from carbon fiber. That would shave a few ounces. Add a fluted barrel and to my way of thinking, that would probably get you close to where you want to go.

Thanks-- definitely some avenues to look into. Handguards, barrel, stock and optic-- I like the idea of a fluted barrel.

Find a good lightweight BCG and a skeletonized upper receiver.

Ok--any idea who makes a quality lightweight BCG? Any performance issues with those?

Thanks for the input to this point gents

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Christensen Arms and Proof Research make carbon fiber barrels. They are also marketed as HBAR for legal porpoises. They'll reduce the perception of weight and shift the balance of the rifle rearward.

Thanks--I'll give them a look.

Update: Daaaaaammmmmnnnn-- beautiful barrels...not cheap. $$$... I might need to try one of them stripper jobs:lol2:

Last edited:

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    With the HBAR requirement it’s gonna be hard to build a really lightweight rifle . Have you thought about building an AR-15 pistol. You could save lots of weight that way.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    It seems like the skeletonized receivers provide minimal weight savings for the money spent. Of course, always an option.

My experience has been the balance is more important than the raw weight within reason. In my experience most of the weight is in barrel, handguard and front sight base. We must use an HBAR in Maryland, assuming post 10/13 build. Fluted barrels, shorter smaller diameter handguards, and flash hider around the weight of an A2 helps...or no FH at all. Longer full floats will lose the front sight base for a much lighter gas block. Carbine barrels will move the balance back since the HBAR section is not extended forward. I have been looking at the lightened carriers, but more for loss of reciprocating mass reasons than overall weight. That would be double benefit in the lightened carbine being sought in this thread.

Gun Connection, Ballistic Advantage 16” fluted barrel, not inexpensive but a couple hundred $$$ will get you more weight loss advantage than $800 in skeletonized receivers.

Real trick would be ALL of lighter pieces. OP, whatever you do let us know how it works out with the intended shooter.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It seems like the skeletonized receivers provide minimal weight savings for the money spent. Of course, always an option.

My experience has been the balance is more important than the raw weight within reason. In my experience most of the weight is in barrel, handguard and front sight base. We must use an HBAR in Maryland, assuming post 10/13 build. Fluted barrels, shorter smaller diameter handguards, and flash hider around the weight of an A2 helps...or no FH at all. Longer full floats will lose the front sight base for a much lighter gas block. Carbine barrels will move the balance back since the HBAR section is not extended forward. I have been looking at the lightened carriers, but more for loss of reciprocating mass reasons than overall weight. That would be double benefit in the lightened carbine being sought in this thread.

Gun Connection, Ballistic Advantage 16” fluted barrel, not inexpensive but a couple hundred $$$ will get you more weight loss advantage than $800 in skeletonized receivers.

Real trick would be ALL of lighter pieces. OP, whatever you do let us know how it works out with the intended shooter.

I'm pretty much in agreement.

The biggest trick to building a 'light weight' AR is to not bolt a bunch of tacticool junk on it. You'd be surprised how light a stock AR carbine is.

For me, if my goal was to do a light weight build would be as follows:

Stock https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3022119912

Handguard https://www.mentium-usa.com/

Barrel Any 16" hbar will do. Fluting doesn't really reduce much weight. It's intended purpose is to provide more surface area to speed up cooling, so I personally wouldn't hold up my build waiting on a fluted barrel.

Bolt Carrier Group Any quality low mass carrier will do. I do not mean skeletonized either.

Gas Block You can go with a Titanium GB, but they are usually pricey and don't cut much weight. Avoid aluminum GBs.

Sights Either some light flip-up BUIS or even better, a very light red dot, but not both. This is to be more or less a range toy, I'm assuming.

Everything else is pretty much a wash.

The only concern is lighter guns tend not to absorb recoil as well as heavier guns do so there's that also to consider.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Having said that, a real neat article on building a light AR 15...

https://aerospacearms.com/blog/how-to-build-a-ultralightweight-ar15/

Thanks for linking to the article-- some options there for sure

Yes on the post 10/13 (bastages!)

You can count on it-- I expect this will take a little time but we aren't in a rush

I'm pretty much in agreement.

The biggest trick to building a 'light weight' AR is to not bolt a bunch of tacticool junk on it. You'd be surprised how light a stock AR carbine is.

-Not happening! This will be a pretty bare-bones rifle-

For me, if my goal was to do a light weight build would be as follows:

Stock https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3022119912

Handguard https://www.mentium-usa.com/

Barrel Any 16" hbar will do. Fluting doesn't really reduce much weight. It's intended purpose is to provide more surface area to speed up cooling, so I personally wouldn't hold up my build waiting on a fluted barrel.

Bolt Carrier Group Any quality low mass carrier will do. I do not mean skeletonized either.

Gas Block You can go with a Titanium GB, but they are usually pricey and don't cut much weight. Avoid aluminum GBs.

Sights Either some light flip-up BUIS or even better, a very light red dot, but not both. This is to be more or less a range toy, I'm assuming.

-Yep... one very light red dot and yes, pretty much a range toy

Everything else is pretty much a wash.

The only concern is lighter guns tend not to absorb recoil as well as heavier guns do so there's that also to consider.

Yeah--we talked about this from jump street-- she's not a high count round shooter per range trip (hell who can afford to be at the moment) and she uses a 12 gauge for Trap so she should be good there.

Gents-- thanks for the discussion and the links...this is helpful. I'm starting to get a feel for the correct direction and areas of focus for the project. Much appreciated.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    With the HBAR requirement it’s gonna be hard to build a really lightweight rifle . Have you thought about building an AR-15 pistol. You could save lots of weight that way.

Thanx--We haven't totally dismissed the option but we're aiming for a rifle at the moment

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    You didn't mention a caliber but have you considered 9mm? You could put a 16" pencil barrel under a lightweight handguard and come in under seven pounds. Plus a good muzzle break will tame any remaining recoil.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Too bad MD's laws are so stupid and you can't get a pencil barrel 5.56 AR. I have one of the very first Colt CAR-15A2 carbines I bought back in the '80s and it's probably as light and functional an AR variant you can fine. No frills...the only thing I've changed is to add Tritium night sights.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    The build I am working right now with an emphasis on short, light and no frills to add weight or break off.

Colt Socom barrel pinned and welded to 16", Brownells retro receiver set, A1 stock, irons only and not much more. 6 pounds, 10 ounces.

My Prototype model is still lighter (6 pounds, 6 ounces) even with a full 20" barrel though :o MD legal pencil barrel goodness :D

Redbone1

Mar 1, 2020
    I built out my girlfriends ar recently. She is fairly small/slight and isnt overly strong, but has started getting stronger since she started lifting and not just doing cardio and abs. I focused on cutting weight where I could. I couldn't find every part i wanted to use due to shortages and all that but it came out very well balanced and light enough for having a hbar in it. She also shot it very well at rifle class i sent her to.

I have a faxon heavy fluted barrel in one of my rifles which is fairly light. If you can find one in stock it wouldn't be a bad choice. If you wanted to save some more weight you could have the barrel cut down to 13.7" or 14.5" and have your muzzle device of choice pinned and welded to make legal length which isn't too hateful cost wise. This also allows you to save some more weight with a little bit shorter barrel, shorter handguard and moves the balance point back some as well. I like the the aero atlas handguard on my girlfriends rifle as it is very slim and light weight. I also have a midwest industries 12.6 handguard on my 13.7" build and that is very lightweight as well. You could also cut some weight with your choice of optic. Don't know your budget in that regards but sig, vortex, holosun, trijicon, and aimpoint make smaller redots that aren't very heavy .

Hope this helps some. And good luck

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I just completed a build on a hybrid poly/aluminum lower receiver. Granted it is 300 Blackout but the barrel probably weighs as much as a Ruger carbine barrel, maybe more. It has a linear brake. Sans sights and optics it tips the scale at 6.25-6.38 pounds.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I built a pretty lightweight AR15 rifle for my wife.

I did use a 16” HBAR barrel but utilized a carbine length gas system to minimize the amount of material on the barrel (as opposed to a mid length HBAR). Put a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block on it and for a handguard used a 13” Midwest Industries Ultralight Combat rail. Everything else is pretty much standard fare. I opted for a Vortex Crossfire ii red dot since it’s compact and lightweight. For the stock I used the Mission First tactical stock as linked in a previous post.

Not a “lightweight” build per se, but it’s super soft shooting and very handy. The wife approves.

Some other folks mentioned the Aero Precision S-one handguard... I am a huge fan of Aero but to me, a .750 gas block just comes too close to the rail for my comfort. Even when things are dead center, it’s real tight in there. It’s absolutely still doable but given the options, the Midwest Industries lightweight combat rails have better internal clearance for the gas block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom