• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Middleman

Sep 25, 2020
    You residences? For background I’m travel to meet with a friend to share some of my collection with him next. I do have my MD collectors license and hope to meet with him mid week. We will be at our hotel on Monday and won’t be leaving until Friday.Friday we will be leaving that area and heading to visit family and shoot. The food stop is 2 hours from home and the section is 2 hours further. Should I be concerned about the room we are renting. The hotel says they don’t have a problem with me having a firearm in the room

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Maryland does NOT have a collectors license. If you are referring to the designated collector letter, it does absolutely nothing for you with regards to making you a "bona fide"collector under Maryland State statute.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You’re going to spend 4 days in a hotel room without ever leaving? Just remember how many people have keys to a typical hotel room. Where will this “weapons collection” be secured? Hope they have great room service. Good luck.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Egads, sounds like the Vegas incident. Four posts in, it's an odd vibe.
    No offense to the OP, but this might make more sense if it was re-written in better english. It’s a very disjointed and rambling paragraph, can’t really decipher what he’s asking.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    You Should I be concerned about the room we are renting. The hotel says they don’t have a problem with me having a firearm in the room

Doing my best to answer your questions.

1) Are you asking if you should be concerned that your firearms might be stolen while they are stored within your hotel. Absolutely yes. I would be extremely concerned if the establishment was in a higher crime area. Employees know whats coming into rooms and what’s being left in rooms. Unless you plan on being in your room with your collection the entire time of your stay, your belongings are at risk.

2) Are you asking if storing your firearms in your hotel room is somehow illegal, that depends on many factors. If you are a Maryland Resident and are legally able to possess the items you bring to your hotel, then you are good to go.

If you are an out if state resident then firearms which may be legal to own in your home state may not be legal to possess in Maryland. I am not a lawyer but if you are not sure, you need to do the research fo each firearm you bring into maryland.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Ugh. Hotels and guns, whether left in the room or even “secured” in a vehicle in a parking lot. Ugh.

I expect many of us also have seen and heard about but, I’ve also written numerous reports regarding some tragic and sad thefts and losses of firearms in and around hotels.

Ugh.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Man, Is this the kinder gentler MDS? Guy has 4 posts asking a questionable question and not one of you gave hime the old go introduce yourself answer yet! Man Joe is rubbing off on you!:lol2:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Man, Is this the kinder gentler MDS? Guy has 4 posts asking a questionable question and not one of you gave hime the old go introduce yourself answer yet! Man Joe is rubbing off on you!:lol2:

Its true the guy should introduce himself but I’m thinking English is not his native language. I’d rather seek advice from a bunch of knowledgeable A-Holes like us than anywhere else on the cess pool internet. I’ll give this person a little deference if it helps keeps him from loosing his firearms to the state of MD or would be thieves.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Leaving any guns in a hotel room is crazy, regardless of how nice it is.

For reference, the only hotel I've ever been robbed from was a Ritz Carlton in Denver - don't think you'll be safe at a nice hotel.

I had a hidden CC in my luggage. Someone came in and went through my suitcase while I was at dinner, then bought 4 plane tickets from China 4 days later. Confirmed with security that someone was in my room. Never used the card (it was for emergencies) and that was the only time it was out of my possession, so it was pretty easy to figure out where my CC# was stolen.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'd find another hotel room if you told this one you'll have firearms, even if they said they're okay with it.

Fellow MDSers I wouldn't worry about the FBI, they're out enforcing the misuse of new "gender" pronouns and shit like that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    On the limited question of " Can a rented or leased accommodation be considered your Temporary Residence ? " , the answer is yes .

As to the proposed agenda outlined in post #1 , I'm not sure I'm following what's proposed .

Will the handguns remain in the hotel room while you are out and about during the day ?

Will the handguns travel with you during the day , returning to the room at night ? If so , that opens a whole other set of discussions .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    On the limited question of " Can a rented or leased accommodation be considered your Temporary Residence ? " , the answer is yes .

As to the proposed agenda outlined in post #1 , I'm not sure I'm following what's proposed .

Will the handguns remain in the hotel room while you are out and about during the day ?

Will the handguns travel with you during the day , returning to the room at night ? If so , that opens a whole other set of discussions .

I believe the intended question is does it qualify for transport requirements. And I don’t honestly know, but I believe that yes it would be covered. Not sure accommodations provided without gratuitous exchange would. So going to visit a friend for sure wouldn’t.

A hotel room I think probably would based on other legal precedent. For the law though, don’t know. Likely.

But traveling around with them otherwise, definite no unless it is too or from your house or property or a business you own, gunsmith, buy or sell it or for/while hunting. No you cannot take it with you to lunch. A stop incidental to one of those other things would be hard to prosecute. But do know there HAVE been guys prosecuted for transporting a handgun out to lunch while they’d been hunting earlier in the day and a NPR/cop saw it on their person or in their truck.

In general I’d say what you are suggesting on doing is likely going to violate Maryland’s fairly strict transport laws at some point in there.

I sure as shit wouldn’t leave guns in my hotel room. Also why I don’t go and stay and hotel rooms places to hunt with a handgun. At least I can leave a rifle locked up in my car out of sight.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My son called MSP and asked if his truck is parked for the required 10hrs off duty time and he is in his sleeper part of the truck, then they consider it his home or at least a room where he is resting and can have his pistol assembled in the truck otherwise it needs to be locked up in a safe and the ammo kept in a separate container according to federal law while he is in transit from one place to another. Same thing if he is parked and taking his 34hr required off duty time as well. He also has a copy of the federal law for transporting firearms as well. I think he asked for it in writing and they sent him a letter to his home of record to carry with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom