• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm going to attempt to de-escalate the conflict with R2. Maybe I can understand why it's feeling all killy. Perhaps if I try to understand how our popular culture has made it feel unwanted (killer robot tropes have to be bad for their self-esteem); we can reach a point where I can allow it to vent its justifiable rage. Only then can we begin to undo the inherent anti murderbot mindset that has held us all back for too long.

(While I'm doing that, if one of you can start on the EMP gun I'd be really grateful.)

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Say hello to my little friend

10533.jpg

DEVE

Jan 15, 2019
    DELMARVA
    Go after the people controlling it, and eliminate the power source.
    Anything capable of killing you, will have a human operator on the other end.

Oh, and learn to code.

But just like dealing with drones. Electronic Warfare is your best bet.
    Signal jammers, spoofers, ECCM, etc
    Basic Lasers are good at blinding optics (ie: dazzler/LDS)
    You can screw with facial recognition systems pretty easily (using dazzle camo from WWII)…

DEVE

Jan 15, 2019
    DELMARVA
    https://youtu.be/gAV8_D71M0o
    ^Pocket EMP
    I suggest you don’t do it, not sure of the legality

BTW, shielding against EMP is really easy. I think it’s a requirement on most military electronics as well.

ESD (electrostatic discharge) might be better. You can totally destroy electronic components with rather low voltage (~30V). So low that there is no visible spark or sound.
    You can even do ESD at range via a beam of charged particles (see: Particle-beam weapon). Yes, this stuff actually exists.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    Rather than a ground based Boston Dynamics type I think I would be more worried about weaponized cheap aerial drone and what type of shotgun load and type would be best to defeat it. Wasn't there a story from a couple of months ago where someone (Iran or Russian backed militia) in Libya used an autonomous cheap drone to take someone out? ....and there was that instance in TX of a few years ago where the local PD used weaponized (with explosives) ground based robot from a EOD squad to take out some guy that had barricaded himself in a parking garage.

DEVE

Jan 15, 2019
    DELMARVA
    Rather than a ground based Boston Dynamics type I think I would be more worried about weaponized cheap aerial drone and what type of shotgun load and type would be best to defeat it. Wasn't there a story from a couple of months ago where someone (Iran or Russian backed militia) in Libya used an autonomous cheap drone to take someone out? ....and there was that instance in TX of a few years ago where the local PD used weaponized (with explosives) ground based robot from a EOD squad to take out some guy that had barricaded himself in a parking garage.
    Coming soon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-2tpwW0kmU

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    .375 H&H Speer African Grand Slam Tungsten-Core Solid rounds...

That'll solve the issue quickly... and probably be more fun if you attempt to line a few of them up with each other.

I've seen those bullets go through 1 inch plate steel at 50 yards. (Normal steel)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I saw a video from the mid 1990s of a gun that could visually track a dozen or so individual bullets from a machine gun and in less than a second, shoot at the origin of the fire. It was an fully autonomous anti-sniper sniper. Strangely enough, I can no longer find that video on YT.

It made me think that if we could do that now, what is the deal with the robots from the movies? What's with Cylons from Battlestar Galactica or the Terminator? If a robot was capable of targeting an object or person and firing at that target, the robot would never miss! This makes me think that we would have very little chance against a combat robot hellbent on destroying all humans. It will most likely see us long before we see it and the robot would undoubtedly be a much better shot.

I say nuke'em from space. It's the only way to be sure. It's either that or negotiate a comfortable human cage in the robot zoo.

Realistically? Yes.

Especially at vaguely closer ranges. It really doesn't take that much computing power to calculate a bullet path out to some vaguely reasonable distance. Sure, it becomes more guess work without sensor inputs such as wind speeds along the entire path, etc.

But at least as good as some the best F class marksman in the world and able to solve it in miliseconds per shot. It could calculate likely bullet dispersion for a machinegun to. Can perfectly calculate target lead and so on.

Now it is only as accurate as the sensor inputs and it'll certainly need to calculate approximations for some inputs (such as windspeed along the path, up or down drafts, etc.)

Without a huge amount of sensor data it can't, say, shoot someone at 4000yds with a .223 through a window. Yeah, it would have a hard time with a fairly randomly jinking human running along at several hundred yards as the calculated lead would be changing and might change from when it fires and when the bullet actually arrives.

However this "shooting at meat bags and missing" at dozens of yards as they try to run away would never be a thing unless it is programmed for suppressing fire if it can't slew its weapon on target fast enough for positive engagement.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Multiple instances of that. Heck, Turkey markets DJI sized drones armed with about 500g* of C4, plus pre-fragmented casing that are designed to autonomously identify a target, dive bomb it and blow up at an appropriate distance.

*I am guessing based on similar sized drone payload capacities as well as the video of the blast effect that looked to be maybe twice or a little more of the effect of an M67. Was more than enough to cause very bad things(tm) to the specific target and likely cause pretty bad things(tm) to the squad of simulated soldiers standing around the target at reasonable social distancing distances :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom