• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    All,

Had an incident here in AA County in Edgewater. There have been pairs of people wandering the neighborhood with clipboards, somewhat nicely dressed, knocking on doors and soliciting. The usual stuff like siding, roof repair, BGE Home and so on. My wife and I have a very visible sign on our outer door that says "No soliciting. Do not knock. This includes UPS, Amazon and FedEx.".

I work from home and my office has blinds on it but I usually keep them slightly cracked. Early afternoon I hear a knock at the door and I see two men on my porch. Somewhat well dressed in polo and button down shirt, metal clipboards in hand. Apparently they can't read and I do what I normally do in such circumstances and ignore them and they'll usually go away without an answer.

This time I heard a new sound...

The sound of my doorknob being moved.

The speed at which I moved was impressive. The rifle came off its rack, to my shoulder, I cleared the corner and it was leveled on the door, my finger on the bolt release. No further activity and after about 20 seconds at the ready, I approached the door at the low ready and saw the pair moving to the next door neighbor's house.

I called my wife and she called the police. Two marked cars came out and interviewed several folks in the area. Including me over the phone. Turns out that several of my neighbors noticed them and several did mention hearing their doors being tried after the knocks including my next-door neighbor. There were two sets of people wandering through the neighborhood and we aren't sure if they were legit. I do not believe they were.

So keep your doors locked, folks. We've been told by the police it is not uncommon for would-be thieves to dress up nicely, go into a neighborhood and pretend to solicit in order to case an area for later robberies. It is not common but also not the first time I've seen questionable characters wandering around without obvious purpose. Especially when claiming to represent various companies but not wearing branded clothing or have valid ID.

Summertime brings more of this stuff out. Be vigilant.

Matt
    Thank you for the refresher on the importance of security and situational awareness, even in (especially in) our own homes.

Choppin

Coming in hot
    Jun 22, 2020
    Fern-Dizzle
    Post no trespassing signs as well! These door to door folks have found a way around the no soliciting by offering free services. Believe me I’ve had my run ins with them in ferndale plenty. I’ve went as far as followed up on their credentials only to find out they didn’t have any.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a no Soliciting sticker on my door. It works great. In the 3 years that I had it, only 2 people have ignored it. To both, I asked if they were raising money for their literacy program. After a dumb look I point to the sign and say “because you don’t seem to be able to read”.

Attachments

• 26D45DCB-05DC-4F20-B631-3A676AD59755.jpeg
      26D45DCB-05DC-4F20-B631-3A676AD59755.jpeg
      73.9 KB · Views: 465

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    My wife is one of those who can’t ignore people talking to her or just tell solicitors to piss off (very useful skill that too few suburbanites have).
    So I frequently have to come outside to interrupt the BS sale pitch and actually ask for credentials. In 100% of cases the salesmen, who claim to be from utility company or legit security company, fail to produce them. Usually it’s some other BS badge, and then it’s “oh well, I’m not actually from ... , but we are a sub-contractor”, “so why did you lie? Get the F off my property”.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I have a no Soliciting sticker on my door. It works great. In the 3 years that I had it, only 2 people have ignored it. To both, I asked if they were raising money for their literacy program. After a dumb look I point to the sign and say “because you don’t seem to be able to read”.

Perfect. I'll search for exactly this.

attachment.php

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have a No Soliciting sign displayed on my front door; it works most of the time. Last weekend though, a salesman rang the doorbell and my wife alerted me since I was out back. She rarely opens the door to anyone. So I ambushed this guy by coming around the side of the house; while he was expecting the front door to be answered. He tried to start into his spiel and I cut him off; pointed to the No Soliciting sign and he still didn't get it. Gave him the stiff upper lip and walked away; leaving him jabbering away to no one in particular.

Coming around and flanking these guys from outside really throws them off balance. Totally screws up their game.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Many years ago had a "salesperson" just open the door and say hello, I was prepared but calm.

Those who have to do door to door I have empathy but no wish to waste my time or theirs. Dont bother answering. Even with video doorbells which they never actually ring.

Luckily the canine alarm usually gets them moving on especially with two shepherd mixes looking out a ground level window.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Should have answered the door in this and asked if they were there for the party???

gimp-ee54e5b3c86ab254c06b88b8c67b46dda440b433-s800-c85.jpg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Many years ago had a "salesperson" just open the door and say hello, I was prepared but calm.

Those who have to do door to door I have empathy but no wish to waste my time or theirs. Dont bother answering. Even with video doorbells which they never actually ring.

Luckily the canine alarm usually gets them moving on especially with two shepherd mixes looking out a ground level window.
    I had that happen once. He met the one German Shepherd I had that was poorly socialized and hated strangers. He barely closed the door on time. He was not amused. I was.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    This brings home the important aspect of home security. I always answer my door with my Glock in my right hand out of sight with my finger outside the trigger guard. When they start their intro I tell them,didn't they read the no trespassing sign by the entrance to the building? I also have Spear Gold Dot JHP loaded into my Glock as well.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    We don’t get solicitors here at all. Only the firehouse on their local drive. But I know and recognize them. Never seen much else. The neighborhood does real well with monitoring and limiting the traffic in and out.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Up here in south-central PA there was a scam going on earlier this year where a young woman would frantically knock on the front door and cry for help. Her two accomplices were hiding around the corner and when someone opened the door they would rush in.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    One day when I stop giving a $hit about Wifey's opinions on certain things, I will get a Level 2 protection dog to keep us company. The older I get and the more society degenerates, the more I think about it.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Up here in south-central PA there was a scam going on earlier this year where a young woman would frantically knock on the front door and cry for help. Her two accomplices were hiding around the corner and when someone opened the door they would rush in.

On the basis of the NYC case of Kitty Genovese, there is a definite basis for providing aid versus keeping the door shut.

In the case as listed above as well as the case of Kitty Genovese, with the expectation of assailants outside rushing the door, it is prudent to take measures for addressing an invasion.

I would like to think that I would take adequate preventative measures, aim to let the young woman in and immediately lock the door, but sit her on the couch and keep watch over her until the police arrive to take charge of the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom