• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Hello,
    Does anyone have or know of a good single action revolver gunsmith? I have a Italian copy Remington New Model Army I would like to have tuned and accurized for N-SSA shooting.
    Any help is most appreciated..

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Ohen said . For reasonably priced tune up short of ground up full custom builds , Goon's is highly regarded .

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'd talk to Charlie Hahn. Goon's reputation (which is a good one) is built on the Cowboy Action community. I'm not sure how good a job he can do accurizing a gun.

The other option would be to buy a complete gun from Rob Lewis. He's normally at Nationals.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    What are you looking for them to do there?

I'm familiar with the challenge, will walk you through it.

The problem is that the Italian makers are building these guns to a price point that makes precision machining difficult. The guns frequently suffer from:

1. Chamber diameters smaller than bore diameter. Means the ball is swaged undersized in loading, won't shoot straight.
    2. Chambers misaligned with the barrel. Not by a lot, but when you're trying to shoot 10s at 50 yards, the alignment has to be perfect.
    3. Trigger pull with creep, and overweight. N-SSA rules are 2 lbs, so you're trying for ~36 ounces on a match gun.

I may well get Goon to work over a Colt repro - but it's an experiment. A toy. He's supposedly recutting the bolt notches to get the alignment fixed, and the arbor length corrected.

If blackpowder, the guy I always hear about is Goon Gunworks. http://www.goonsgunworks.com/

If modern, I'm not sure. Bowen or Clements are worth a look depending what you want done. The accurizing part may be harder. What are you looking for them to do there?

This guy is supposed to be the best in the business. I spoke to him on the phone a few times because I want to send my Walker in for the same service. Unfortunately life got in the way and I never got a chance to send it down to him. After I get my new house in order and the move complete I'm going to do just that.

Call Mike at Goons 678 467 3950. He's supposed to be the best in the business. I've spoken to him a few times because I want to send my Walker down and have it tuned. I was supposed to send it a few months ago unfortunately life got in the way. Bought a new house and now I'm in the process of moving to homes into that. Once I get that all squared away I'll get my Walker sent down and have him turn it up

judgejohnmd

May 15, 2016
    Aberdeen MD
    Have an 1858 Pietta Remington which he did; came back really awesome to shoot; great trigger; he redoes the internals to make them much more reliable.
    Definitely worth the $!!!
    Judgejohnmd

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom