• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Will VA honor the WV NR permit? For now, they honor MD’s permit, but some places are funny about NR permits and reciprocity.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Who will recognize it remains to be seen. Oftentimes, it’s a matter of what training is required for the permit. WV does require some basic pistol training to get their permit in order to satisfy reciprocity agreements with other states. The resident permit is good in 39 states; without training, that number would be less than half. That being said, WV is actually doing the permittee a favor by requiring training.
    Will VA honor the WV NR permit? For now, they honor MD’s permit, but some places are funny about NR permits and reciprocity.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Who will recognize it remains to be seen. Oftentimes, it’s a matter of what training is required for the permit. WV does require some basic pistol training to get their permit in order to satisfy reciprocity agreements with other states. The resident permit is good in 39 states; without training, that number would be less than half. That being said, WV is actually doing the permittee a favor by requiring training.

The individual state statutes will determine who honors and who doesn't. Handgunlaw has a map where certain states were colored brown indicating they wouldn't honor NR permits. FL,SC,CO, MI and PA are the ones that I know won't honor the NR WV permit as they don't honor any others.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

VA appears to be good to go as they accept NR permits, so long as you're not a VA resident trying to CC on another state's permit.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    It will be the same process as residents go through. You'll need to drop off the application and pickup the permit from the sheriff's office. You can apply to ANY county as a non-resident.

I don't know how many (if any) sheriff's offices process a permit same day. My last renewal in Berkeley County took a while (30-45 days). Not sure if that was because of demand or they dedicated less resources to processing after the state went constitutional carry.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Seems to me they are positioning for added revenue, I’m not faulting them at all. Currently WV recognizes many, many other state’s permits, both resident and non-resident. If you have FLA, Utah, New Hampshire, etc, you’re good to go in WV.

www.handgunlaw.us

“States that my state honors”

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Currently WV recognizes many, many other state’s permits, both resident and non-resident. If you have FLA, Utah, New Hampshire, etc, you’re good to go in WV.

You're good to go in WV without ANY permit. It's constitutional carry, now.

The only reason to have a WV permit in hand is so that when you're in a different state that honors it, you're covered there, too. Beyond the reciprocity while in other states, the only reason for a WV resident to have a permit is to enjoy a quicker, less fussy in-state firearm buying experience.

Main point, though: there's really no point talking about which other states WV honors, now. They've decided to honor the Constitution, instead.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Once they start accepting applications for non resident CCW, I will be making a trip to WV. Also I am working on trying to see if there is anyway I can get my Washington State CCW since they will give them to non residents.Only problem is having to be physically their for fingerprinting. I am trying to see if I can find a county sheriff that will accept fingerprinting done by Laurel PD.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Once they start accepting applications for non resident CCW, I will be making a trip to WV. Also I am working on trying to see if there is anyway I can get my Washington State CCW since they will give them to non residents.Only problem is having to be physically their for fingerprinting. I am trying to see if I can find a county sheriff that will accept fingerprinting done by Laurel PD.

The UT permit is good for WA state and you were able to get it by mail at one time, not sure if that's changed or not.
    The reason WV doesn't have WA state reciprocity is WV doesn't do fingerprinting. It was discussed a few years ago that WV go ConCarry and add fingerprinting to the permits to allow for max reciprocity. I'm not sure how much appetite there is now just to add WA reciprocity as no other state requires it as a condition of reciprocity.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I have received my new Utah in the mail this past monday so now I am GTG since I renewed about 2 1/2 weeks ago online. Watched a video, paid the renew fee and completed the online app for renewal and voila new permit... I am trying to see if I can make it out to Oregon this coming fall to see some family out that way and since Oregon will not give out CCW to non residents unless you live in the states that boarder Oregon or live in Oregon itself,the only other option is open carry. They do allow open carry for those who are non residents when they visit. The only major problem their in Oregon about open carry is, you can not repeat NOT carry in Indian country. If I remember right, their are about 6 or 7 tribes in Oregon that are recognized by the federal government and are no go with weapons.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I have received my new Utah in the mail this past monday so now I am GTG since I renewed about 2 1/2 weeks ago online. Watched a video, paid the renew fee and completed the online app for renewal and voila new permit... I am trying to see if I can make it out to Oregon this coming fall to see some family out that way and since Oregon will not give out CCW to non residents unless you live in the states that boarder Oregon or live in Oregon itself,the only other option is open carry. They do allow open carry for those who are non residents when they visit. The only major problem their in Oregon about open carry is, you can not repeat NOT carry in Indian country. If I remember right, their are about 6 or 7 tribes in Oregon that are recognized by the federal government and are no go with weapons.

There are also a few towns that may have OC ban ordinances. I’d check opencarry.org to be safe

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Beyond the reciprocity while in other states, the only reason for a WV resident to have a permit is to enjoy a quicker, less fussy in-state firearm buying experience.

That isn't really true. Most FFL holders will not 4473, carry permit, and out the door, even though the law says they can. The FFL doesn't know you and will still make you do a 4473 and call it into NICS.

My FFL has known me for over 30 years, so he is comfortable doing the NICS exemption for my carry permit. Also, every time he calls into NICS for me I get a delay.

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    That isn't really true. Most FFL holders will not 4473, carry permit, and out the door, even though the law says they can. The FFL doesn't know you and will still make you do a 4473 and call it into NICS.
    Y'all need a new FFL if the insist on running NICS even if you have a valid WV permit. I tell customers specifically to get a permit so I don't have to deal with NICS.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Y'all need a new FFL if the insist on running NICS even if you have a valid WV permit. I tell customers specifically to get a permit so I don't have to deal with NICS.
    You should hear some of the horror stories from some of the FFL's I deal with. You may change your mind on that. My FFL is a family friend and allows me to carry permit and out the door for many reasons. One of them being that in a e4473 I get a instant proceed, yet get delayed if he calls it in. The other is that work is an hour and a half from him and my days off vary widely, so coming back a second time is a PITA for both of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom