• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    Where can you buy ammo in Montgomery County? Other than at the three gun shops, that is.

I live near DC and I don't seem to have any local ammo source. Wal-Mart in Germantown? Do they have ammo?

It doesn't t have to have low prices, but where is the ammo at?

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    You used to be able to buy ammo at Dicks in Wheaton Plaza, but Dicks went and got rid of everything.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back when I still had hair , most of up county was rural and small towns , and random country stores would have ammo , hunting licenses, etc . No idea if any still exist .

In modern times MoCo is a gun store desert . United , Engage , and the now single location of Atlantic . Other than those usual suspects , you're looking at travelling out of county , and the internet . ( Bow our heads for the original location of Atlantic , Sales & Services Ltd , and Crawford's International all in downtown Silver Spring , plus Gun Rack in Burtonsville .)

Looking for Ammo in Montgomery too

Bump for more suggestions.

I'm looking for alternatives to United, Atlantic, and Engage too.

The germantown Walmart has some shotgun ammo but mostly birdshots. But I'm looking for 12 gauge buck or slug and 9mm hollow pts. and fmj.

Do I have to drive to Frederick or Virginia? If so, where?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

The germantown Walmart has some shotgun ammo but mostly birdshots. But I'm looking for 12 gauge buck or slug and 9mm hollow pts. and fmj.

Bass Pro at Arundel Mills is another option, I don't know if that is closer than Frederick for you or not. They have been well stocked in shotgun ammo recently. The 9mm may still be hit or miss, can be found there if you are there at the right time.

Bass Pro at Arundel Mills is another option, I don't know if that is closer than Frederick for you or not. They have been well stocked in shotgun ammo recently. The 9mm may still be hit or miss, can be found there if you are there at the right time.

Thanks, Bullfrog. I didn't think about that. I'm in Rockville so it is just less than an hour away. I used to go to Arundel Mills years ago and it might be the reason for me to check it out again.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    If you're willing to drive an hour, check out some shops in VA and get some standard capacity magazines while you're there. Maybe some members have some VA location suggestions.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Since I live in Monkey I drove across the Point of Rocks Bridge on Rt 15 and took that down to Leesburg and picked up some Mags for my rifle and ammo. Took me about 1/2h to 45 minutes to make the trip one way and then same thing coming back.I took Rt 28 to where it meets Rt 15 and crossed over into VA.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD

Come see us, we have all that in stock. We are generally open on Wednesday evenings from 5pm-8pm and by appointment.

[Kev308];6380028 said:
    If you're willing to drive an hour, check out some shops in VA and get some standard capacity magazines while you're there. Maybe some members have some VA location suggestions.

I'm wondering if there are certain VA ones to avoid. I was visiting Chantilly with a buddy and needed to buy a glock 19 mag. The shop charged me $32 before tax. That was back when I didn't know how much they should really cost. I'm not going to get screwed there again. Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the store, but I do remember that it was at the end of a shopping center / strip mall.

My friend in Vienna goes to Cabelas in Gainesville so I'll have to check that out someday.

Just an update: I checked out the typical MC stores and couldn't find any 9mm. I went to Cabela's in Gainesville and they are out of 9mm as well. Though, Cabela's had plenty of 5.56, 40, 12 gauge...etc. The guy at the gun counter wouldn't even share when shipment comes in.

Since, I was out in VA, I went to Elite. Plenty of customers shooting AR15's and handguns. But there was no wait for the lanes. I'm still waiting for ammo to be more readily available so I can go to the range regularly again.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    GunRunners in Frederick has had ammo at VERY reasonable prices.
    That shop is always so dangerous for me. Go in for one reason, and end up picking up a new gun.

Got this one last week ...

361d18817961db3a16c840af446bf6cb.jpg

The ammo selection behind the counter seemed pretty healthy.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Good score!
    Omg, there is one gentleman (I don't know who) selling things on consignment there that are either in excellent or new in the box condition with extras. In my case, extra springs, Remington extended mag, upgraded follower, etc in an unfired 870 Police Magnum made a few years back. There's a kitted up Mossberg 590 Shockwave from the same individual that I'm hoping is gone the next time that I visit. I have no self control.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Another range option is the NRA headquartsers. Open to public. Ammo to purchase, don't know. Limiting to brick/morter locations. Hard to stock up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom