• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    I am currently researching and trying to find all the laws and regulations, I need to know and adopt, prior to setting up a shooting range on private property in MoCo county! And or if its even possible?
    Of all the counties in all the states!

Anyone want to throw a few educated thoughts out?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Assuming you are in the non urban defined area, and do not have overly deep pockets I would keep any range development as low profile as possible. Otherwise you will need permission and follow a lot of red tape.
    When I owned some acreage in the NW part of the county one neighbor was often shooting. Only issue I ever had was he would sometimes do it around peak hunting time during archery or ML season.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I am currently researching and trying to find all the laws and regulations, I need to know and adopt, prior to setting up a shooting range on private property in MoCo county! And or if its even possible?
    Of all the counties in all the states!

Anyone want to throw a few educated thoughts out?

Well if you figure it out and would like an extra set of pretty capable hands, give me a holler.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Mark me down as someone who'd love to see a good range in NW MoCo. Skeptical that you'd get permission to do it from the Council, but you never know until you go for it...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Assuming you are in the non urban defined area, and do not have overly deep pockets I would keep any range development as low profile as possible. Otherwise you will need permission and follow a lot of red tape.
    When I owned some acreage in the NW part of the county one neighbor was often shooting. Only issue I ever had was he would sometimes do it around peak hunting time during archery or ML season.

Not sure MoCo ordinances, but I’d at least make sure you were following them even if you never get permission (set backs, back stops, etc.) If you do get a visit from your local friendly Po-Po, be nice if the worst you get is a cease and desist or a fine.

Run in to some county like HoCo that effectively bans it…you can be looking at actual jail time for target shooting on a not approved range.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    Sounds like you want to talk to:

FIREARM SAFETY COMMITTEE
    c/o Montgomery County Department of Police
    100 Edison Park Drive
    Gaithersburg, Maryland 20878

Attachments

• Mo Co weapons-law-brochure-on-line-format.pdf
      1.3 MB · Views: 89

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts