• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    A little background first -

From Craig Riesch book "U.S. M1 CARBINES, WARTIME PRODUCTION":

After WWII, the US, as one of the occupying powers in Germany, was responsible for providing community policing in the US Zone. The US constabulary oversaw this task from 1945-1952. As the US had no intention of either remaining as an occupation force in Germany any longer than necessary, or becoming involved in the day-to-day government of the community, local police forces were established to assume standard policing duties ranging from control of traffic to criminal investigation and forestry protection. One of the most extensive of these police forces was the Bavarian Rural Police.

The US Army made M1 Carbines available to these local police units. The Bavarian carbines can be identified by the markings, BAVARIAN RURAL POLICE stamped on the receiver. Most carbines also had their components stamped with the last two, three of four digits of the original receiver serial number as was standard German practice.

Circa 1952, the US constabulary allocated Bavarian Police M1 carbines to Austria. The Austrian issued carbines can be identified by the LGK markings on the bottom of the trigger housing. The fourth letter references the receiving province and a national inventory number was stamped underneath.

These Bavarian Police carbines were originally used AGAINST the Germans and Austrians during WWII and only after the war turned over to the former enemy.

The Bavarian/Austrian carbines were returned to the US and then sold via the CMP starting in 2009. The carbines were considered returned US military property and therefore were not required to have import markings.

On this one the receiver is marked " BAVARIAN RURAL POLICE" and the trigger housing is marked "L.G.K.T" and "0489".

The last four of the receivers serial number is also stamped inside the sling well, the hand guard and is engraved on the top of the bolt.

The stock also has the crossed cannons in the right spot for a wartime, high wood, Inland stock, the barrel is marked Inland with a 9-43 date, and the front sight is "N" marked which is also correct for a war time Inland carbine. It obviously went through some sort of update/rebuild based on the type II/II sights and Type III barrel band.

The gun came from CMP - the seller says he hasn't fired it or swapped parts on it since he bought it from CMP in 2009. It also comes with a CMP certificate matching the serial number and is dated April 2009.

Should be at my FFL next week...pretty excited - be nice to have something with a little history behind it. Pretty cool that this rifle basically served both the Allies and (former) Axis powers in WWII and the years immediately following it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.46.19 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.46.19 AM.jpg
      51.2 KB · Views: 409
    • Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.46.43 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.46.43 AM.jpg
      50.9 KB · Views: 403
    • Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.47.03 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.47.03 AM.jpg
      80.9 KB · Views: 411
    • Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.47.29 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.47.29 AM.jpg
      60.5 KB · Views: 406
    • Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.47.42 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.47.42 AM.jpg
      60.5 KB · Views: 403
    • Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.48.26 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.48.26 AM.jpg
      33.7 KB · Views: 389
    • Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.48.46 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.48.46 AM.jpg
      50.7 KB · Views: 393
    • Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.49.13 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.49.13 AM.jpg
      92.2 KB · Views: 387
    • Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.56.02 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.56.02 AM.jpg
      44 KB · Views: 389
    • Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.49.28 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.49.28 AM.jpg
      92 KB · Views: 385

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Envious
    I love the carbine.
    Have a fun-shooting mixed Underwood,
    and a terrific all-original Inland. They
    keep the Garands stable company…like
    dogs in a horse stable.
    One day, Santa is going to bring me an
    all-original later ‘44 Winchester with the
    correct as-issued adjustable peep sight
    and bayonet lug. Most carbines that have
    those items are post-war mods.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 5.50.36 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 5.50.36 PM.jpg
      78.6 KB · Views: 330
    • Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 5.51.35 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 5.51.35 PM.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 326
    • Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 5.51.54 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 5.51.54 PM.jpg
      72 KB · Views: 327

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    One of the only guns I ever sold that I regret. I still don't know why someone (probably Ruger) doesn't make a modern version of them.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    These returned carbines did not go through the post war rebuild process and are likely as close to original rifles as you are going to get. I have one (IBM) and it appears 100% original. They are usually extremely nice guns.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    One of the only guns I ever sold that I regret. I still don't know why someone (probably Ruger) doesn't make a modern version of them.

No money. People that want Carbeens want wartime or USGI. Go to any gunshow and wave a repro around. You'll get no positive responses.

Plus the rifles purpose is superfluous in the wake of carbine ARs and red dot pistols and large frame pistols with braces so you can't achieve a more than niche following.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No money. People that want Carbeens want wartime or USGI. Go to any gunshow and wave a repro around. You'll get no positive responses.

Plus the rifles purpose is superfluous in the wake of carbine ARs and red dot pistols and large frame pistols with braces so you can't achieve a more than niche following.

Semi relatedly I’ve always thought it would be neat to make a lever gun in .30 carbine.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks!

Auto Ordnance and Inland Manufacturing make reproduction M1 Carbines. A co-worker has a new Auto Ordnance one. It is a fun little gun but I am into the history of them and for a little more money you can get a “real” one that has potentially been there, done that if you know what I mean.

I am anxious to get it, break it down and see what I have in more detail. Found an authentic “II” marked oiler for it and have settled on a quality repo sling. Just can’t bring myself to pay >$100 for a WWII canvas sling. Maybe later.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congrats! Now you need a Bavarian police S&W. Apparently US forces "loaned" S&W .38 Victory pistols to the Bavarian police as well. I did some sleuthing and found a great site for anyone interested in these M1s and it mentions the Victory pistols as well. Germany and the U.S. M1 Carbine.

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    Semi relatedly I’ve always thought it would be neat to make a lever gun in .30 carbine.

Search for the Marlin Levermatic, model 62. I had a .22 magnum version, 57M, for a while, fun shooters but 22 mag was too pricy for plinking.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    These returned carbines did not go through the post war rebuild process and are likely as close to original rifles as you are going to get. I have one (IBM) and it appears 100% original. They are usually extremely nice guns.

I have one of these Bavarian returns that is as far as I can tell a completely correct Winchester.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I have one of these Bavarian returns that is as far as I can tell a completely correct Winchester.

Very nice - I'd love to have found a WRA.

As the ways these things tend to go with me, I decided I wanted a "non-collectible" M1 carbine just to plink with.

Just picked up a NIB, never been fired, Auto-Ordanance M1 carbine for "everyday" use.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 4.34.55 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 4.34.55 PM.jpg
      21.4 KB · Views: 104

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois

I am trying to figure out how my Bavarian return came to have a Type III barrel band on it.

The seller swears this is exactly the way he got it from CMP and I tend to believe him.

I am beginning to wonder if this didn't pass through Army hands between being returned by the Germans and being turned over to CMP for resale.

The gun has not shown up at my FFL yet so I have not had a chance to inspect it first hand but judging from the pictures and the shadow and outline on the front receiver ring, along with the ribbed dovetail flat ahead of the rear sight I believe the rifle was originally modified with a notch sight soldered to the front ring. That modification has been seen on other Bavarians. There aren't many around with the original notch sights soldered on, they were removed at some point. I'm not sure by whom.

The Type III band is also not characteristic of a Bavarian, most had the original type 1 or 2 bands refinished with the rest of the rifle.

I doubt the CMP did it but I can't figure out how it got on there.

It's certainly a good sign that other parts are stamped with numbers matching to the serial.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I am trying to figure out how my Bavarian return came to have a Type III barrel band on it.

The seller swears this is exactly the way he got it from CMP and I tend to believe him.

I am beginning to wonder if this didn't pass through Army hands between being returned by the Germans and being turned over to CMP for resale.

The gun has not shown up at my FFL yet so I have not had a chance to inspect it first hand but judging from the pictures and the shadow and outline on the front receiver ring, along with the ribbed dovetail flat ahead of the rear sight I believe the rifle was originally modified with a notch sight soldered to the front ring. That modification has been seen on other Bavarians. There aren't many around with the original notch sights soldered on, they were removed at some point. I'm not sure by whom.

The Type III band is also not characteristic of a Bavarian, most had the original type 1 or 2 bands refinished with the rest of the rifle.

I doubt the CMP did it but I can't figure out how it got on there.

It's certainly a good sign that other parts are stamped with numbers matching to the serial.

Mine also had a removed notch site. I'm sure the army handled/inventoried the carbines after getting them back from Germany, but I doubt they would have swapped any parts, especially for repair or refurbishment reasons. Its possible the CMP replaced parts if something needed minor repairs. I think it's more likely that it happened at the end of the war or while in German possession.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Mine also had a removed notch site. I'm sure the army handled/inventoried the carbines after getting them back from Germany, but I doubt they would have swapped any parts, especially for repair or refurbishment reasons. Its possible the CMP replaced parts if something needed minor repairs. I think it's more likely that it happened at the end of the war or while in German possession.

It is my understanding the Germans added the "V" sights due to their familiarity and preference for them but I have never found a reputable source explaining who removed them? Did the Germans, US Army or CMP?

On the Bavarian Carbines website, it seems like all the ones they have pictured with the Type III barrel bands all came from CMP? Maybe just a coincident?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    It is my understanding the Germans added the "V" sights due to their familiarity and preference for them but I have never found a reputable source explaining who removed them? Did the Germans, US Army or CMP?

On the Bavarian Carbines website, it seems like all the ones they have pictured with the Type III barrel bands all came from CMP? Maybe just a coincident?

Maybe it passed through "Grey Blankets" hands?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom