• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hello

I have inherited a .357 Ruger Blackhawk 3 screw built in the early 1970s. 2 of the 4 chambers in the cylinder will not take a 357 shell. It will go part way in and get stuck. The other 4 are fine. The cylinder is clean and there is no visible damage. Am I missing something? Was this common? Any help would be appreciated.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Take a fired 357 case. Flare the mouth out and insert it persuasively into each chamber. Then watch the built up carbon and lead cuttings from firing 38 Special fall out.
    I was going to suggest a similar thing - there may not be a visible build up of residue, but it's undoubtedly there.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    As the others have said, likely just needs a good cleaning as there is build up from previous 38 shooting in it.

That is why I just load light .357's now, so I don't have that ring to scrub out.

Don't go crazy on it. Bore brush with a bit of cleaner on it and some patches will get it right, but may take some time.

Great revolvers!! Let us know if you opt to "re-home" it some day.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    They make a cleaning cloth called "Lead Away". Cut some of it into patches approximately 1 1/2" square and wrap around a cleaning brush. You would be amazed at how much lead it will remove. Once the lead is gone, just clean as normal.

Edit: Product is now called "Wipe Away"

Last edited:
    All
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have cleaned the 2 chambers for about 15 mins. They still don't fit. Was that enough time? I have attached some photos. Thank you.

Attachments

• cylinder1.jpg
      cylinder1.jpg
      37.1 KB · Views: 180
    • cylinder2.jpg
      cylinder2.jpg
      56.8 KB · Views: 179
    • Ruger.jpg
      Ruger.jpg
      63.2 KB · Views: 163

KyleRogue

Nov 19, 2017
    Westminster
    I also have a 3 screw Blackhawk in 357 magnum. 15 minutes is nothing after shooting 50 or so rounds of LRN 38spl. I spent at least an hour of hoppes9 - bronze brush - jag/wetpatch wait 5 minutes - repeat until the patches stop bringing out lead. After getting tired of that I now only shoot fmj 357mag.

It never got so bad that 357 would not go in at all. Are you still getting lead on your patches after 15 min of scrubbing/patching?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I use Shooter’s Choice lead remover and the Brownells chamber brushes or a .40 brush. It made my Blackhawk chambers spotless despite shooting thousands of rounds of lead .38.

Last edited:

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    So a 1970s revolver is over 50 years old. If it was used a lot, especially with 38 food, it is more than likely "contaminated" with residue from the shorter 38 cartridge.
    Many cylinders have "failed" for the same reason.
    The advice above is worth noting as many have cleaned the "junk" out using the brush procedure, with various products. Lead fouling is a different animal. Suspect you have residue
    from the 38 use. If all of the above methods fail to correct the situation, a bit more expensive way is to buy a FINISH REAMER for 357 from Brownels, along with some cutting fluid.
    There is a thread on the S&W forum, addressing the same issue. Instructions are available. All other things being equal, it is a 99.9% way to get the cylinders "squeaky " clean.
    Been there, done that on 3 other revolvers. YMMV

Thank you all for the help. I ran out of Hoppes 9 so I ordered some and will trying cleaning it some more. If that does not work I will try the Reamer suggestion. Never used one so will have to youtube it :-)

Thank you all for your help

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    try one of these...LEWIS LEAD REMOVER
    used years ago when shooting 44 Spl in the 44 mag / 38Spl
    in the 357 mag...both were old Rugers, did the "job''
    Had to look the name up..

-Rock

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I used, and once in a blue moon still use, the Lewis Lead Remover.

When I shot bullseye way back I remember some of the older shooters use a metal lead reamer to clean out their 22 pistols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom