• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MD Shooter Envy

Nov 18, 2018
    Towson
    Per the law:
    (2) On or after January 1, 2003, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or after January 1, 2003, unless the handgun has an integrated mechanical safety device.

Cable locks and trigger locks do not count. Certain models have internal locks (HK45's), revolvers. But most 9mm's and other calibers do not. I have never seen any gun "come with" an Omega like lock (or any from the MSP list except HK's) from the manufacturer. I'm speaking from my own personal experience.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Effective 9 June 2021, the State Police Website lists certain cable locks as "approved integrated mechanical safety devices".

I picked up my G43X yesterday at a LGS--- the subject of "did you bring an approved lock?" never came up. Apparently the cable lock included with the firearm provided the acceptable device the crown now demands.

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County

This link has been broken on the MDSP page for a while now. It is so annoying that there are still stores that want to nickel and dime for whatever few dollars they would make on a bore lock.

One store I do not care to mention that I bought a pistol from recently told me that my cable lock that is listed by name on the website was acceptable when I bought the gun, and then forced me to buy their bore lock when I got in for $35. It's just a scam, plain and simple.

WhoMe

BANNED!!!
    Aug 10, 2017
    My LGS let me "borrow" a lock which I returned as soon as I crossed the threshold of the store.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    My LGS let me "borrow" a lock which I returned as soon as I crossed the threshold of the store.
    This has been my experience also but I still bring a box of locks and let them pick one.

In a pinch, could one just dissemble a semi-auto pistol or remove the bolt/bolt carrier from a long gun and be good and be good to go since it is only a pile of parts at this point? Spread the parts around your vehicle if you feel the need.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I don't think anyone cares anymore. For the last two or three handguns I've purchased I didn't need a special lock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom