• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Okay, so talk pillar bedding to me for Boyd's gun stocks. Are the existing stocks just a little metal washer embedded in the plywood your action screws go through and pillar bedding extends those washers in to full aluminum towers? Any other changes like a full metal plate tying the pillars together? Something else?

I am looking at a Spike camp stock for my Howa Mini 1500 in 6.5 grendel. Just wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze to get a pillar bedded stock. It'll be used for hunting, but if it would reasonable increase accuracy or maybe more importantly, repeatability I guess it seems worth the $80-90. If it is more like something you'd notice when trying to squeeze the last tiny bits of accuracy out of a platform, maybe not worth it for me (rifle is fairly sub MOA with the right ammunition. With the wrong ammunition it is still close to MOA).

Thanks.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    For hunting rifles, I would focus on other aspects such as ergonomics, stability and performance in changing weather conditions, portability, optic, handling characteristics cartridge availability,killing effect and so on.
    Your already sub moa with certain ammunition but that mean squat if your shooting the rifle off the bench with training wheels supporting the forestock.
    Lots of forms of hunting are not like that.
    Efficient and plentiful game taking IMO really doesn't have a whole lot to do with sub moa except for maybe a varminter.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    From what I've seen on Boyd's stocks, this . . . "just a little metal washer embedded in the plywood"
    I think the last one was actually a plastic piece.

Qha8csx.jpg

I install full length metal to metal to metal pillars and epoxy bed.

VhwKF3k.jpg

I would agree with Doco on the general lower prioritization of pillar bedding of a hunting firearm, except that I just don't like any of my rifles to have sub-optimal precision (within constraints). Creating a solid, repeatable bedding may be especially advisable if you will be free-floating the barrel. If you are shooting anything at longer ranges, precision may make the difference between a clean kill and an agonizing death. I would fork over the extra $ and not look back.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    From what I've seen on Boyd's stocks, this . . . "just a little metal washer embedded in the plywood"
    I think the last one was actually a plastic piece.

I install full length metal to metal to metal pillars and epoxy bed.

Boyds has a video that shows metal sleeves all the way through the stock. That being said, I have no doubt the pillar job you do is substantial, looking at the pics you posted.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Just to clarify . . . I was remiss to indicate in my above post that the image referred to was a Boyd's stock WITHOUT the pillar bedding option. This is why I ended the post with "I would fork over the extra $ and not look back." Although the "pillar" in the Boyd's video is rather thin (at least what is visible), if one isn't willing to do or pay for a more substantial unit, it's likely a far better alternative than the escutcheon shown in the posted image.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Just to clarify . . . I was remiss to indicate in my above post that the image referred to was a Boyd's stock WITHOUT the pillar bedding option. This is why I ended the post with "I would fork over the extra $ and not look back." Although the "pillar" in the Boyd's video is rather thin (at least what is visible), if one isn't willing to do or pay for a more substantial unit, it's likely a far better alternative than the escutcheon shown in the posted image.

Got it. You know, it would really be nice if Boyds included the pillars by default instead of making them an option. Pretty sure Randy Boyd would have pillar envy if he saw the pillars you use. ;)

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    The pillars help maintain zero

The pillars help maintain zero.
    The action screws tighten against the pillars.
    If the stock's wood or synthetic expand or contracts a little from heat or moisture fluctuation it will change the tension on the screws.
    The pillars help eliminate this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom