• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    If you get to a point where you need a burner phone you might want to consider not reaching out to anyone that authorities would contact or monitor so you would not really need the burner phone anways. Unless you are talking about needing it for something now to avoid, that is why I'm asking the reason for the burner. This thread could get much much better.

Thats the mindset that anti2a folks use too. Why would a normal person need an AR15….

I’ve never thought that I was a person special enough to worry about someone trying to spy on me in any way. I also do not live a criminal lifestyle. However it has become apparent that criminals, hackers, doxxers and potentially even the government. Like anything less related to prepping, when you realize you need it, and you dont have it, it’s too late. With that spirit if preparedness in mind I started down this road.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Buy the latest iPhone with your Apple credit card. I hear their privacy features are impeccable.

:rofl:

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Thats the mindset that anti2a folks use too. Why would a normal person need an AR15….

I’ve never thought that I was a person special enough to worry about someone trying to spy on me in any way. I also do not live a criminal lifestyle. However it has become apparent that criminals, hackers, doxxers and potentially even the government. Like anything less related to prepping, when you realize you need it, and you dont have it, it’s too late. With that spirit if preparedness in mind I started down this road.

Don't think that friend. I'm asking for the opposite reason.

I have multiple lines for multiple reasons none nefarious. I'm asking the for what part so I can best advise with the information I have learned. Sometimes I need to track someone down for business and I went down the rabbit hole of wondering how you could have burner lines and avoid being tracked. It simply was something I ran across for work and out some time into to try and figure how best to work.

If you don't want to say online I get it. If you wanted to on that's cool too.

Beancounter

Jul 8, 2012
    Burner phone?

Tracfone. Pay cash. Buy time with cash. Never text.
    The best way to keep a secret is to not tell anyone.
    You are welcome.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Also, besides disguising yourself up when you go pay cash for your burner phone, walk in and out with a limp. You don't want to present your normal gait to camera(s).

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Don't think that friend. I'm asking for the opposite reason.

I have multiple lines for multiple reasons none nefarious. I'm asking the for what part so I can best advise with the information I have learned. Sometimes I need to track someone down for business and I went down the rabbit hole of wondering how you could have burner lines and avoid being tracked. It simply was something I ran across for work and out some time into to try and figure how best to work.

If you don't want to say online I get it. If you wanted to on that's cool too.

The main reason is that I want the option of making a call that I deem important or necessary without having at traced to me. I do not have this need now, not do I really expect the need to arise often. However I envision that there could come a time when it’s necessary.

I read a story about a woman who was doxxed and began receiving death calls and text messages on her Cell phone. Having a backup phone that is not tied to my identity would be useful in that situation too.

I also read a discussion where a persons cell phone number was stolen. The perp called his provider and claimed that he lost his sim card and needed a new one. Somehow the provider did not follow their own protocols and transferred the phone number. The victim was not at home when the crime happened and only had his cell phone, which had been deactivated by his provider after the criminal stole his info. He couldn’t even call anyone to help.

I had personally gone to patriot picket events and dc rallies in the past. In light of what happened on Jan 6th I don’t trust that the government wont subpoena
    cellular activity records used to catalog persons in the area of such events. I could envision a scenario where a peaceful event turns violent. I won’t engage in criminal violence, but I don’t want to be defending my presence at an event where a situation got out of control and I just happened to be a bystander. If I was caught up in mayhem and got arrested, I could simply walk away from that burner phone and not have it’s contents used to incriminate me.

Again the main interest is that I want to prepare for something unexpected. Just like I prepare for other curve balls in life. It seems like a small investment with possibly a life saving benefit if the most extremely unlikely of circumstances did occur. The best time to prepare is before the emergency.

So knowing my “Why”, feel free to share anything you are willing to share.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Add removable battery to your shopping list, so you can really turn it off.

It's interesting only the USA allows burner phones. In most other countries, you have to provide ID to get a pre-paid phone.

Good point about the removable battery.

I have a friend who is from a central american country. They sell prepaid phones and sim cards for locals traveling to the USA. No required as far as I know. I was thinking this might be a good option as a source.

OP how does (or can) your ham radio play into this?

I have a mobile unit in my car and a HT that I keep charged in my GHB. The motivation for getting a burner is the similar/parallel to the motivation that to have a GHB, get my ham license and learn how to use the equipment. However ham communications really are not supposed to be anonymous in that you are supposed to announce your call sign, which can be easily traced to your actual identity. They are also not secure or encrypted either. It's a great tool to have when cell phone service is not available during an emergency.

look for these

That's an interesting idea. A discarded device would still be potentially tied to the initial purchaser but not directly to me.

Never text.

Is this because your text messages are retained on the phone of the person you are texting.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Untraceable, and EMP immune.

72acbd08b0a9141188ec55c0d9b178ea.jpg

For phone-only options, I think any early 2000's pre iphone era phone you previously owned will work well. Batteries are removable, and they're bunhackable

Remember, global surveillance really took off in the smartphone era. Very unlikely they'll keep IMEI records on a 15-20 y.o. phone for that long.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Also, besides disguising yourself up when you go pay cash for your burner phone, walk in and out with a limp. You don't want to present your normal gait to camera(s).

And wear a BLM T-shirt.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    The main reason is that I want the option of making a call that I deem important or necessary without having at traced to me. I do not have this need now, not do I really expect the need to arise often. However I envision that there could come a time when it’s necessary.

I read a story about a woman who was doxxed and began receiving death calls and text messages on her Cell phone. Having a backup phone that is not tied to my identity would be useful in that situation too.

I also read a discussion where a persons cell phone number was stolen. The perp called his provider and claimed that he lost his sim card and needed a new one. Somehow the provider did not follow their own protocols and transferred the phone number. The victim was not at home when the crime happened and only had his cell phone, which had been deactivated by his provider after the criminal stole his info. He couldn’t even call anyone to help.

I had personally gone to patriot picket events and dc rallies in the past. In light of what happened on Jan 6th I don’t trust that the government wont subpoena
    cellular activity records used to catalog persons in the area of such events. I could envision a scenario where a peaceful event turns violent. I won’t engage in criminal violence, but I don’t want to be defending my presence at an event where a situation got out of control and I just happened to be a bystander. If I was caught up in mayhem and got arrested, I could simply walk away from that burner phone and not have it’s contents used to incriminate me.

Again the main interest is that I want to prepare for something unexpected. Just like I prepare for other curve balls in life. It seems like a small investment with possibly a life saving benefit if the most extremely unlikely of circumstances did occur. The best time to prepare is before the emergency.

So knowing my “Why”, feel free to share anything you are willing to share.

You realize that the car warranty renewal people will have your burner phone# from day 1, right?

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Most of the older 3g networks are being decommissioned right now. 90% or more of the used dumb/flip//feature phones are going to be paper weights really soon. I do not think I have ever actually seen a 4g dumb phone in person but I know they exist.

You are going to have a much easier time doing the wifi at mcdonalds approach over using a sim card. Your use case of wanting to do some action and not get traced would require only turning the phone on one time, using it one time in an area you can not be id'ed , then literally burning it. It is kind of a pipe dream and there are so many issues that could go wrong that I dont see it working out. Burner ebay laptop, random mac address, open access point, tor, then posting to anonymous chat or forum is much more do able.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    If your serious about privacy leave your phone at home when you attend rallies or meet ups, invent a code language for future essential texts and deliver hand notes. Find out which person in your group of friends is the FBI agent and give them the boot......And finally, none of this will work.

My personal opinion is that unless you are under the microscope, intelligence agencies are overwhelmed with too much information and only write the narrative after events happen.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Untraceable, and EMP immune.

72acbd08b0a9141188ec55c0d9b178ea.jpg

For phone-only options, I think any early 2000's pre iphone era phone you previously owned will work well. Batteries are removable, and they're bunhackable

Remember, global surveillance really took off in the smartphone era. Very unlikely they'll keep IMEI records on a 15-20 y.o. phone for that long.

If you could find one that is digital, most were analog phones of that era.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Four fit into this, Amazon. I'm not sure how I know this, or that I can run flat out for half a mile before my hands start shaking.

Attachments

• 81Ag7h1lmbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
      81Ag7h1lmbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
      142.6 KB · Views: 261

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads