Davidsonville
    Tracfone
    Look at the cards for $99, I took this yesterday
    8f6c47db52af69b66763ec907bdec943.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It's interesting only the USA allows burner phones. In most other countries, you have to provide ID to get a pre-paid phone.

Huh???

A LOT of countries I can buy a phone and sim card with cash, from a machine in the airport.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you could find one that is digital, most were analog phones of that era.

TMobile went GSM mid 2000s as I recall. Had a few Motorola flips (think V series) and a Nokia E-series phone from that era.

Digital is not enough. Before GSM there were the TDMA and CDMA digital networks. Most carriers switched to GSM in the early 2000s. Except Verizon, they stayed CDMA for voice for a LONG time.

Every flip phone I had was GSM. And even before I had a flip phone (they were out but I did not have one) I had a couple of GSM phones.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So far, this actually the hardest part of the rabbit hole investigation for me.

There a lot of companies who sell prepaid cards. The types of plans are extensive. You can pay cash for the card, but you must activate the service at some point. This is usually done by internet but I think some can be done by phone. Once the card is activated you can then start to use the service to make calls, send messages or use data if you purchase that level of service.

On one hand you can buy the card and leave the service inactivated for a long time and it cost you nothing additional. You could also purchase multiple prepaid cards too in advance, but you would still need to activate them somehow. However in my case I want to be able to use the phone in an emergency, whenever that may happen. In this case I’m going to need to have card activated in advance, and keep the service active indefinitely.

This is the hard part of this planning.

So once you have the card active most if the providers will allow you to “recharge” the card by adding additional time/minutes, etc. Ideally I would like to find a way to pay for additional time using an untraceable cryptocurrency like Monero, but I have only found a few overseas companies that accept this payment. There are US companies who accept bitcoin, which isn’t really anonymous. At this point the next best option might be to use VISA gift cards.

So if you are following along, you basically need to keep paying regularly to keep a service active that you may NEVER use. This means I’m looking for a very low cost plan like $10-$15 per month. This might be only 180 minutes of voice, 500 text messages and 1gb of data per month max. Ideally I would find a provider that sells a one year term for say $150 that could be prepaid up front.

If anyone knows of such a provider I have not found it yet.

Recharging defeats the concept of disposable. Burner phones are just that, use and toss.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    So far, this actually the hardest part of the rabbit hole investigation for me.

So if you are following along, you basically need to keep paying regularly to keep a service active that you may NEVER use. This means I’m looking for a very low cost plan like $10-$15 per month. This might be only 180 minutes of voice, 500 text messages and 1gb of data per month max. Ideally I would find a provider that sells a one year term for say $150 that could be prepaid up front.

If anyone knows of such a provider I have not found it yet.

Until a year or so ago I used ATT's prepaid daily plan for an effort. $2 a day unlimited only on the day used. Supposedly the plan was only for basic phones, but you could active your SIM card as a basic phone in a smart phone and then change the plan. You could use data at $1 / 100 MB for 24 hours, if I recall correctly. I bought $100 prepaid cards; they were good for a year once added to the balance. Adding another $100 card just before the year was up extended the balance for another year.

At one point I had a several hundred dollar balance. It was always ready to be turned on, no further activation required. Just bought enough $100 cards for the number of years of the project.

I did a quick search and see talk of it but don't see it on ATT's paygoline page. Even when I used it, it was hard to find any mention of it.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    *****Perhaps they have this expensive book at your local public library. Just make sure you check it out using your burner library card so they can't track you.

Modern problems demand modern solutions!

I've borrowed books via my local library from all over the US using inter-library loan programs.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Huh???

A LOT of countries I can buy a phone and sim card with cash, from a machine in the airport.

And a lot of countries required one's passport or national ID card to buy a SIM card.

In one country an enterprising store had the "normal" SIM cards that required registration with an ID. They also had "preregistered" cards offsite but close by in the names of deceased folk.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Tracfone
    Look at the cards for $99, I took this yesterday
    8f6c47db52af69b66763ec907bdec943.jpg

Thank You. Others mentioned Tracphone but didn’t elaborate on the various plans. It looks like they have 3 different 1 year prepaid plans.

$199 for Unlimited Talk/Text +12gb data

$99 for 400 minutes talk. You can add 1000 text for $5 and 1gb data for $10. So $115 per year is good, but I assume you would need to pay with a CC to add the extra $15 in service.

I did discover something interesting. They sell a prepaid 1 year prepaid 2gb data only card for $99. I’m not sure if they are available in stores like Walgreens. These are intended to be used in hotspots or vehicles.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Until a year or so ago I used ATT's prepaid if I recall correctly. I bought $100 prepaid cards; they were good for a year once added to the balance. Adding another $100 card just before the year was up extended the balance for another year.

Are you saying that after activation, you could simply buy additional $100 cards at stores for cash and add them to the initial activated card? If so then you could theoretically purchase say 5 prepaid $100 cards up front and have service for 5 years. That sounds like what I’m trying to do.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Are you saying that after activation, you could simply buy additional $100 cards at stores for cash and add them to the initial activated card? If so then you could theoretically purchase say 5 prepaid $100 cards up front and have service for 5 years. That sounds like what I’m trying to do.

Yes, I bought physical $100 cards with a 365 day expiration. You activate the phone with one card. Just before expiration a year later, you would add a new card that you previously bought so that any unused balance carries over. E.g., on day 364 or 365 your balance is $75, you add the card. Your balance is now $175. If you wait until day 365 or 366 then you would lose the $75.

But as someone already mentioned, if it's a true burner phone, on first use you destroy it so everything I've written would be irrelevant. :lol:

I did a quick search but don't see where to buy physical cards now. Everything I see is via email. But I guess you could pay with a (say) Visa card you bought with cash and have the PINs sent to a throwaway email address that you access from a place that rents device usage by the minute, e.g. a UPS store.

I attached an image from: https://www.walmart.com/ip/AT-T-Prepaid-100-e-Pin-Top-Up-Email-Delivery/15443333

That leaves the task of finding the per-use basic phone plan that I previously described. It is well hidden if it still exists. It seems ATT wants you on a monthly plan.

Attachments

• att-prepaid-100.jpg
      att-prepaid-100.jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 199

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    FWIW, I recently talked with att about current phone plans and they could find no info on prepaid phones. Said to go to store or call a different department.

My father only uses voice so we thought a permanent burner? would be cheaper, loves his flip phone.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Honestly, the easiest would be a source an "Obama phone" from when they were giving them out.

The registration on them was iffy at best. It has been several years since I saw them being handed out on the streets, so I suspect the tech. in the phones are dead.

Still a lot to worry about with being tracked. But the buying and monthly billing was handled by .gov.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My Navy SEAL friend is getting ready to go all Jason Bourne in Europe for some time, I'd ask him but I am sure his phones are going to be "issued".

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    FWIW, I recently talked with att about current phone plans and they could find no info on prepaid phones. Said to go to store or call a different department.

My father only uses voice so we thought a permanent burner? would be cheaper, loves his flip phone.

I know that in the DC area ATT currently has monthly prepaid unlimited minute and a few GB smart phone plans. A friend has one for $25-30 per month. They have no concern about privacy.and pay via monthly credit card or ACH debit to save $5 / month.

If your father needs help, then please let me know. My friend lives in Wheaton and can give me details. But now we're not talking about burner phones, right?

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    My Navy SEAL friend is getting ready to go all Jason Bourne in Europe for some time, I'd ask him but I am sure his phones are going to be "issued".

Right. For some reason I'm interested in this thread but I still don't thoroughly understand the OP's threat that we're protecting against. And I think the terminology that I understand as "burner phone" is inconsistent with the OP's objective. Any clarification would help.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I know that in the DC area ATT currently has monthly prepaid unlimited minute and a few GB smart phone plans. A friend has one for $25-30 per month. They have no concern about privacy.and pay via monthly credit card or ACH debit to save $5 / month.

If your father needs help, then please let me know. My friend lives in Wheaton and can give me details. But now we're not talking about burner phones, right?

Thanks, and yes non burner.

Not to stray too far from the topic, it is cheaper for us to have 4 phones on AT$T’s plan than our 3 , so we’ll have one sitting in a drawer to save money. He’ll have to live with that terrible interweb button.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Right. For some reason I'm interested in this thread but I still don't thoroughly understand the OP's threat that we're protecting against. And I think the terminology that I understand as "burner phone" is inconsistent with the OP's objective. Any clarification would help.

The only threat I’m concerned about is the ability to make a call from an anonymous number should the need arise in the future. I agree that I might have been unclear on the term “Burner Phone”. I use that term to mean 100% disposal and not linked to my personal identity in any way.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Thanks, and yes non burner.

Not to stray too far from the topic, it is cheaper for us to have 4 phones on AT$T’s plan than our 3 , so we’ll have one sitting in a drawer to save money. He’ll have to live with that terrible interweb button.

Despite my having mentioned ATT, I have no interest in them. I previously used them as described and can ask my friend about their current plan. One thing I've noticed is that their coverage is spotty in the suburban DC area and other non strictly metropolitan US areas. For example, when my friend visits me in outer suburban MD, they have to go up a hill on my property to make a call.

Is there anything you'd like me to ask about?

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    The only threat I’m concerned about is the ability to make a call from an anonymous number should the need arise in the future. I agree that I might have been unclear on the term “Burner Phone”. I use that term to mean 100% disposal and not linked to my personal identity in any way.

Sorry. I'm still not clear. Once you make that first call, then you're tracked. And the call recipient is tracked. Is that OK in your scenario? If not, you need multiple devices, multiple SIM cards and multiple plan PINs for each call.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III

I think the bigger question is anonymous from who?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom