• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    In a recent quest to bring major sponsors on board to support the AGC Action Shooting Team Shooting Jersey project, I learned that no big name manufacturers (S&W, Vortex, Sig, STI, etc, etc, etc.) want to invest in an organization such as ours without a presence on social media. I was told that we need to be on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc, and have thousands of followers before anyone will take us seriously. This actually makes a lot of sense, because a company really cant realize any sort of return on their investment if only a few hundred people a month see their logo.

So, I am told that using these platforms and creating a social media presence really is not all that hard, but that you have to know what you are doing and do it almost daily. I am looking for someone who is well versed in this sort of thing and that might be willing to take this project on for us or at least help us to get set up and rolling.

Thank you

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I subscribed to this thread when I saw it. Bravo to AGC Action Shooting for the foray into social media.

MEGARMS, we met briefly at an AGC match. You’re running great shoots. I think you’re my age (early 40s) and honestly we’re behind the curve on social media. I sold a stroller / range cart to a guy in HoCo who was late 20s and getting into shooting, and that’s the demographic that drives social media. Maybe there are some shooters in that age range that can get it started?

Someone who uses the dominant social media in their daily life (Instagram, etc.) could put something together perhaps with the YouTube videos that have been posted here (with credit to the photographers and drone pilots) that would be “competitive” in that sphere.

Unfortunately, I don’t know where to find that guy/gal/nonbinary person. But they’re likely in their 20s.

Sorry, that wasn’t as helpful as I’d hoped when I started posting! You could start by getting the accounts made (shortest / closest name possible) and building followers. Most AGC members are 60s+, but I got my parents on Instagram (70s) and they can follow as well as anyone else! Like you said, numbers matter!

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I subscribed to this thread when I saw it. Bravo to AGC Action Shooting for the foray into social media.

MEGARMS, we met briefly at an AGC match. You’re running great shoots. I think you’re my age (early 40s) and honestly we’re behind the curve on social media. I sold a stroller / range cart to a guy in HoCo who was late 20s and getting into shooting, and that’s the demographic that drives social media. Maybe there are some shooters in that age range that can get it started?

Someone who uses the dominant social media in their daily life (Instagram, etc.) could put something together perhaps with the YouTube videos that have been posted here (with credit to the photographers and drone pilots) that would be “competitive” in that sphere.

Unfortunately, I don’t know where to find that guy/gal/nonbinary person. But they’re likely in their 20s.

Sorry, that wasn’t as helpful as I’d hoped when I started posting! You could start by getting the accounts made (shortest / closest name possible) and building followers. Most AGC members are 60s+, but I got my parents on Instagram (70s) and they can follow as well as anyone else! Like you said, numbers matter!

You're too kind. I turn 50 in two months.

Would love some 20 somethings. Only problem with that is not too many can either afford to shoot as much as we do, or they just have not discovered it yet. I would say the average age of our shooters is close to 45 years old.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    You're too kind. I turn 50 in two months.

Would love some 20 somethings. Only problem with that is not too many can either afford to shoot as much as we do, or they just have not discovered it yet. I would say the average age of our shooters is close to 45 years old.

In my defense this was a few years ago!

What about the younger guys that did the climbing in and out of the Hescos when we built the shooting bays?

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    I wonder about the wisdom of this. Every aspect of social media is mined, binned, analyzed etc. I used to check in on FB when I went to the range. Now I want NOBODY on FB to know I belong, much less when I'm going or am there. I want ZERO photos of me at the range unless I or my friends take them. Does the majority of members or their clubs want this?

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Is this you?

We can start building followers here on MDS, then add some videos and photos.

Attachments

• 9D65F8CB-C7C2-4676-BE67-A07CAEC9FA21.jpeg
      9D65F8CB-C7C2-4676-BE67-A07CAEC9FA21.jpeg
      31.9 KB · Views: 137

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I wonder about the wisdom of this. Every aspect of social media is mined, binned, analyzed etc. I used to check in on FB when I went to the range. Now I want NOBODY on FB to know I belong, much less when I'm going or am there. I want ZERO photos of me at the range unless I or my friends take them. Does the majority of members or their clubs want this?
    This is a valid concern. I don’t like having my real name tied to my interest in shooting sports. But if I was a prominent shooter, sponsored, an “influencer”, then I’d be all over it in my true name.

Honestly, if anyone reading this doesn’t have a separate internet persona stovepiped from your real identity, maybe you should.

My various internet personae follow different accounts of interest. For example, say I worked in IT. I’d have SlimDoesIT for work stuff, SlimShootsGunz for firearms, SlimDrinksBorboun, SlimSkateboards, etc.

I should teach a class on this, but then y’all’s figure out that I’m actually not that skinny…

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I want ZERO photos of me at the range unless I or my friends take them. Does the majority of members or their clubs want this?
    Regarding photos (another valid concern), non-descript photos like drone shots or photos of people who are already “out there” are perfect for this, and don’t sacrifice anyone’s privacy.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

Do you shoot with us?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    This seems like it could be a sweet gig, for the right person...(not it!) I don't have the tech savvy or the time (or the time to learn the tech savvy...I barely can find time to shoot anymore). I'm confident the right person (or persons) will come along.

As to having my identity known to be part of the shooting sports world...Look, the things I may or may not do with firearms that I wouldn't want anyone to know about...no one will know about ;) If I have to be afraid to be seen running around making little pieces of metal go "ting" and fall down, why bother? We've already lost. In fact, the culture war needs more safe, non-offensive "pew-ting" put in everybody's face. We shouldn't have to hide in shame like some kind of freaks (they don't hide anymore anyway).

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    This seems like it could be a sweet gig, for the right person...(not it!) I don't have the tech savvy or the time (or the time to learn the tech savvy...I barely can find time to shoot anymore). I'm confident the right person (or persons) will come along.

As to having my identity known to be part of the shooting sports world...Look, the things I may or may not do with firearms that I wouldn't want anyone to know about...no one will know about ;) If I have to be afraid to be seen running around making little pieces of metal go "ting" and fall down, why bother? We've already lost. In fact, the culture war needs more safe, non-offensive "pew-ting" put in everybody's face. We shouldn't have to hide in shame like some kind of freaks (they don't hide anymore anyway).

Nobody is talking about plastering every shooters face all over social media. We would likely have a few videos of what it is that we do, and the truth of the matter is that all you ever see is the shooters back anyway. Almost every video that gets shot up there today is done with the shooters own cell phone because they want the video for themselves and to post on youtube. Those who do not want to be on video, including myself, don't have to be on video.

The whole idea is to attract more, younger shooters who will eventually buy range badges for years to come and to attract big name sponsors to hang banners in the bays and compensate us for it. The sponsors are the ones who want their names out there. The more exposure you can get the sponsors and the more range badges you sell can give us the funds to make more and more improvements to the range.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Nobody is talking about plastering every shooters face all over social media. We would likely have a few videos of what it is that we do, and the truth of the matter is that all you ever see is the shooters back anyway.

The whole idea is to attract more, younger shooters who will eventually buy range badges for years to come and to attract big name sponsors to hang banners in the bays and compensate us for it. The sponsors are the ones who want their names out there. The more exposure you can get the sponsors and the more range badges you sell can give us the funds to make more and more improvements to the range.
    Preach!

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    Regarding photos (another valid concern), non-descript photos like drone shots or photos of people who are already “out there” are perfect for this, and don’t sacrifice anyone’s privacy.

Drone shots don't sacrifice anyones privacy? Facebook suggests names for the people in many of my photos now.
    I don't wanna be the luddite here.
    Factually, information gathered on you in years gone by is used to target you for ads today. Info gathered today targets you tomorrow.
    People in DC on Idiot Coronation Day were all logged by their phones pinging. And legions of "useful idiots" pored over photos from every angle to dox those they disagreed with.

Sorry for the rant. Its my mood lately. Country is going in the crapper. People we elect can't be trusted. People they appoint can't be trusted...

I respectfully bow out as I'm not around that much. I've hoped many times to make it and try the 2/3 gun evening shoots, and have yet to try try the action bays. This social media stuff wouldn't affect me much if any.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom