• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    In the early days of the Glock Era , AD's were a big thing in the news and within LE circles , to the effect of " OMG we're / they're having X hundred % more Ad's than we did before ! " .

Part of it was that for many of them , they had transitioned from revolvers , and the " round in chamber " thing was virgin territory . Part was a couple of Glock specific little quirks .

Part was " constant pull striker fired " as a class vs DA Revolver ( or lesser extent DA/ SA autos ) . Typically upon cumulatively thousands of times of reholstering , a shirt tail , jacket drawstring , holster safety strap that holds shape precurled , or whatever will get fouled inside the triggergaurd . This type of thing also happened with DA Revolvers ( or earlier DA/ SA autos ) , but would require pushing down against 10-12 lbs of extra resistance for longer distance instead of 5.5 lb for short distance . So more likely to end up with bullet in leg or butt .

It varies , but LE/ Corrections / Armed Security / etc have to unholster & reholster if not unload & reload frequently , depending upon rules of agencies and specific facilities . The risks are low for each time , but the more often more people do so , the odds of raw numbers kick in .

Now that makes sense.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Are you seriously telling us that the abuse that a service weapon takes makes a SIG discharge but not Glocks or other manufacturers?

Never carried a Sig. We carry Glocks. We've had multiple instances of Glocks discharge without being fired. Our department was able to recreate the issue with a holstered gun. It happens. I've carried a gun for 19 years never had an issue. You've carried for however long without an issue. Most people carry without an issue.

Sometimes things happen. They are more likely to happen in the environment that an officer carries than anyone. Sorry that upsets you.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Never carried a Sig. We carry Glocks. We've had multiple instances of Glocks discharge without being fired. Our department was able to recreate the issue with a holstered gun. It happens. I've carried a gun for 19 years never had an issue. You've carried for however long without an issue. Most people carry without an issue.

Sometimes things happen. They are more likely to happen in the environment that an officer carries than anyone. Sorry that upsets you.

Is there any publicly available documentation of the Glocks "discharge without being fired?" The Sig issue had plenty of publicity. I've never heard of the Glock problem.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Didn't Montgomery county have a case years ago, where they were hanging their Glocks on a peg in the locker room.
    somebody hung their Glock up and depressed the trigger and the gun started firing as it bounced around on the peg and the cops blamed it on 9mm ammo being dropped on the floor. that caused a huge recall of some brand of 9mm ammo, until the truth came out.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Didn't Montgomery county have a case years ago, where they were hanging their Glocks on a peg in the locker room.
    somebody hung their Glock up and depressed the trigger and the gun started firing as it bounced around on the peg and the cops blamed it on 9mm ammo being dropped on the floor. that caused a huge recall of some brand of 9mm ammo, until the truth came out.
    I don't know, that sounds epically stupid and hilarious...

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Is there any publicly available documentation of the Glocks "discharge without being fired?" The Sig issue had plenty of publicity. I've never heard of the Glock problem.
    Not sure. There is someone here with much more intimate knowledge on the subject than I, but I'm not sure if he can chime in or not.

We had Glock 22s as our issue weapons. There were multiple reports of completely accidental discharges. One of them involved a sergeant at the station. He leaned against a desk or wall and the gun discharged. Again, not sure of all the details but they determined that some parts were breaking and allowing the guns to fire.

We quickly changed over to 9mm Glocks, either the 19 or the 17. If I remember correctly, Glock swapped them for free or for really cheap.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Not upset at all, just don't believe that there is much difference between the two.

Average work day:

Get up at Zero dark thirty and strap on gun. Gun bangs arm rests on chair in my office.

Get in the truck to drive to the shop, potentially hitting on B pillars and center console.

Get crews going at shop, maybe have to help load a truck.

Get back in truck, same potential issues as before.

Get out of truck at jobsite, wash, rinse & repeat all day.

Difference is when I get done with my "shift" I'm still carrying the same gun and holster package and will right up until it comes out of the holster to go on the nightstand.

And as a civilian my travels could take me to many places during the day where by law I have to disarm to enter adding another possible time that a shirt tail, jacket draw string, etc... could get inside the trigger guard.

Thank you for your service. Seriously. :patriot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom