• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Lee load master and lee auto breech lock pro user here:

Loadmaster is configured to load 308 Winchester length cartridges and higher.

ABLP I'd configured to load everything below 223 length.

I load in two passes; decap and resize for one pass, flair, powder throw, seat, and crimp an another pass.

Between the passes, I case length gauge necked cartridges for trimming, swage if necessary, and prime off the press with either a bench prime system (lee ram prime on a turret) or hand prime.

Biggest flaw I have with lee presses is the priming systems. I sometimes prime on the ABLP, but very carefully.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That’s the great thing about the Dillon interchangeable tool heads. You can be up and running with a new caliber in 10 minutes.

You are moving slowly. :D

When I bought my 650 the Dillon rep convinced me to get a second primer assembly. So 2 screws and the primer punch and I can swap between Large and Small primer.

Longest part of the swap is the shell holder plate. For the main calibers I load, I have a powder measure for each.

But for the others, I got extra powder bars and leave them set for each caliber. So I just swap the bars. I painted the end of each bar white with model paint, then put the Powder and Charge setting on the end with a black Sharpie

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If all you’re doing is seating bullets, the Lee APP might do what you want.

True.

I have one to decapp mil brass and swage the primer pockets.

But for decapping, it is faster to set up the 650 with just a decapping die.

But the APP is on a Lee portable stand, so I can watch TV while decapping and swaging. :D

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Please do publish current contact info if you find it, and thank you! Might be others who could use it as well.

Yeah, I wound up accumulating a bunch of rotors too. Mainly because they rarely correspond as closely as might be desired to the chart. But another indication that lot variations are real, and the why behind volumetric AND a scale, huh?

Smokin little measure within its niche though. But I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

Found the nfo. as of May 2021

I do still produce those and they are still 49.00 shipped CONUS

Here's Bill's Contact nfo
    Bill White 2430 Forrestbrook Drive Kannapolis, NC. 28083

-Rock

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I'm looking to get into reloading. I've done it with friends who have the equipment and I find the science and the processes to be very enjoyable. I like shooting my old Mosin and I keep being told that handloads are an effective way to get more accuracy out of it.

Space is at a premium so I think a progressive press is a necessity. After reading this thread, I'm looking at the Dillon 550C and the Lee Pro 1000 and Lee Pro 4000. Since the last post in this thread, Lee has retired the Loadmaster and (supposedly) made improvements to their other products. I see that with the Lee Pro 4000, I'll need to manually advance the press when reloading .30-06. I'm ok with that.

I intend to reload 5 calibers: 9mm, Legend .350, 7.62X54R, .30-06 and 5.56.

I'll need to buy several dies, a case trimmer and a bunch of other odds and ends so I like the Lee Pro 4000 kit due to its cost even though the Dillon is probably a bit nicer.

Does anyone have any compelling, negative reasons to stay away from the Lee 4000 for what my intended uses are?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Dillon 750.

Eta: I’ll comment more later when not on a phone.

Last edited:

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I'm looking to get into reloading. I've done it with friends who have the equipment and I find the science and the processes to be very enjoyable. I like shooting my old Mosin and I keep being told that handloads are an effective way to get more accuracy out of it.

Space is at a premium so I think a progressive press is a necessity. After reading this thread, I'm looking at the Dillon 550C and the Lee Pro 1000 and Lee Pro 4000. Since the last post in this thread, Lee has retired the Loadmaster and (supposedly) made improvements to their other products. I see that with the Lee Pro 4000, I'll need to manually advance the press when reloading .30-06. I'm ok with that.

I'll need to buy several dies, a case trimmer and a bunch of other odds and ends so I like the Lee Pro 4000 kit due to its cost even though the Dillon is probably a bit nicer.

Does anyone have any compelling, negative reasons to stay away from the Lee 4000 for what my intended uses are?

Pass on the lee pro 4000 and go for the lee six pack pro 6000. Unlike the pro4000, it has a working and reliable primer system. I have two of them. One for a 9mm ammo factory and the other for rifle progressive loading.

Sent from my SM-A136U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    The Dillon 750 is a beast and it would be sweet to have but it's out of my price range when considering all the other stuff I need to buy.

The Lee Pro 6000 says it can accept any manufacturer's dies which is really nice.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    The Dillon 750 is a beast and it would be sweet to have but it's out of my price range when considering all the other stuff I need to buy.

The Lee Pro 6000 says it can accept any manufacturer's dies which is really nice.
    I was debating to buy a dillon 750, but went with the lee pro6000 instead because I had alot of breech lock bushings, primer trays, and other parts at hand that are cross compatible with the pro6000 from when I loaded with the pro4000.

The lee pro6000 takes the cake for a value fully progressive press. Needs a bit of shimming, greasing, and tuning due to the tolerances and finish, but they start working like clockwork once fully configured.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD

I have a Lee single stage I use for Rifle Ammo and a Progressive the Lee 1000 I think. It has 5 stations. I have some accessories auto case loader and bullet loader. Without much effort I can get about 300 rounds an hour out of the progressive but I can fit anything bigger than 223\556 in it. But it works great and you can 3d print a ton of upgrades for it that make it even easier and parts for it are also dirt cheap.
    I have no experience with the others. I am sure they are probably much nicer but for the price(I got mine on Ebay) you cant beat it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Dillon 750.

Eta: I’ll comment more later when not on a phone.
    This, the Dillons are worth saving up for. Between my reloading buddy and me, there are three SDBs, two 650s, and a 750. All worth every penny. And I'm a working stiff.

If you are looking at producing volume, the 750 (or a used 650) would be best. Especially in the pistol calibers and 556 where plenty of powders meter very well.

3006 (especially if loaded for a garand) and 762x54 tend to favor longer extruded powders that meter like crap in volumetric measures. 4895, for example, drops inconsistently and you always have powder all over the place.

Thr 550 is a great press but the manual index gets old after a while. Especially when you are running out hundreds (or thousands) of pistol rounds. The lack of a casefeeder is another major drawback. Look at a BL550 (stripped down model) for the bigger rifle cases and save up for a 650/750 to do your volume stuff. Yes I know I'm spending a lot of your money. I am a huge tool snob. Sorry.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This, the Dillons are worth saving up for. Between my reloading buddy and me, there are three SDBs, two 650s, and a 750. All worth every penny. And I'm a working stiff.
    I have two 650s and a Mark7 Evolution. I don't even own a single stage or turret press anymore. The 1050 / Mark7 are absolutely worth it for loading 223 and 300 BLK... off-press swage blows when you need to do it in volume. I think the 650/750 are livable for pistol, albeit I always find myself wishing for better primer depth control on my 650.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Eh, it's not massive volume that I'm contemplating. It's mainly the space savings and convenience that comes from a progressive press. I just don't have the room for a long assembly line of single stages. I still need room for a case trimmer and other associated stuff.

I'm mainly in my investigatory phase right now. I still need to clear out the garage and dedicate a work bench to this. It'll be a couple of months between the cleaning and the saving.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Eh, it's not massive volume that I'm contemplating. It's mainly the space savings and convenience that comes from a progressive press. I just don't have the room for a long assembly line of single stages. I still need room for a case trimmer and other associated stuff.

I'm mainly in my investigatory phase right now. I still need to clear out the garage and dedicate a work bench to this. It'll be a couple of months between the cleaning and the saving.
    Can't go wrong with a lee 4 stage turret press if you are looking to start out with versatility.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Can't go wrong with a lee 4 stage turret press if you are looking to start out with versatility.

Yup.

Spare turrets are cheap and don't take up too much room, so you can set up one turret per caliber and quickly switch.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I have two 650s and a Mark7 Evolution. I don't even own a single stage or turret press anymore. The 1050 / Mark7 are absolutely worth it for loading 223 and 300 BLK... off-press swage blows when you need to do it in volume. I think the 650/750 are livable for pistol, albeit I always find myself wishing for better primer depth control on my 650.
    I load a LOT of precision rifle ammo so I use the crap out of my dedicated single stage press. I even load my 77gr mk262 clone ammo this way (yes its too slow, i know).

I bulk load mostly 9mm and 45acp. Once in a while a run of hoser 556 if the prices for factory are insane. My buddy is bulk loading for his 1919s so his 650 is always running in 308 or 3006 but he is cutting crimps out rather than swaging. He uses dillon sizer/trimmer rigs in a dedicated single stage. The brass.goes in the case feeder load ready.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD

Not sure why you envision an assembly line of single stages. With a single stage you do one thing at a time to a batch of brass, then put in a different type die to do the next thing on all the brass. With a quick change bushing setup the dies don't even have to be readjusted when swapped out.

A single stage press would probably take up less bench space than a progressive.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I load a LOT of precision rifle ammo so I use the crap out of my dedicated single stage press. I even load my 77gr mk262 clone ammo this way (yes its too slow, i know).
    Yeah, I don't load precision anymore. I'll buy an Area 419 or something if I decide to get back to that. Just not a priority.

I bulk load mostly 9mm and 45acp. Once in a while a run of hoser 556 if the prices for factory are insane. My buddy is bulk loading for his 1919s so his 650 is always running in 308 or 3006 but he is cutting crimps out rather than swaging. He uses dillon sizer/trimmer rigs in a dedicated single stage. The brass.goes in the case feeder load ready.
    Yep, I run a separate toolhead for initial brass prep. If I could cut out crimps fast, I'd totally be doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom