• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I wish Hap Baker all the success in the world. I'm 5 min away and refuse to step foot there. More people that go there, less look elsewhere at the private club ranges :p Why anyone would get a membership there is beyond me.

jspero

Aug 6, 2009
    One Foot Out The Door
    I went this past weekend for the first time in a few years. I'm a life member from a long time ago, but just have not been to Hap in a while. The ROs were friendly and attentive. I felt like the range was safer than it used to be. The rifle range is pretty much like I remember it. It was Saturday and it was crowded, but I got there early (9:30ish) and everyone waiting in line got a lane. I don't generally mag dump, so I don't have an issue with the 2-second rule. The only issue was wondering if my car would fall into the pot holes on the way in! :) They let me use my old badge and did not mention having to upgrade to the new one yet. I though the range was well-run and it was an overall good experience.

Last edited:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    "Going to greener pastures somewhere now I suppose."

Guntry is right down route 140 a bit and it costs only $50 an hour for a lane on their 100 yard range. Small price to pay for paved roads and other amenities if those items are high up on your priority list. Assuming the hourly cost results in less wait time for a lane.

AGC is the best value I have found and I never had an issue with them closing early.

If I was only going to shoot for an hour, I'd probably wait until I had more time to make the trip worth it. Hap also has up to 200 yards which makes it more worthwhile. Hap is far from from perfect but for 10$ I can shoot as long as I want and from one bench 25-50-100-200 yards. I'd love to join a club, but I've got zero free time to meet membership requirements where I'm "volunteering" for events and maintenance.

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    If I was only going to shoot for an hour, I'd probably wait until I had more time to make the trip worth it. Hap also has up to 200 yards which makes it more worthwhile. Hap is far from from perfect but for 10$ I can shoot as long as I want and from one bench 25-50-100-200 yards. I'd love to join a club, but I've got zero free time to meet membership requirements where I'm "volunteering" for events and maintenance.

Not all the clubs require events and maintenance. MSI for example. $25 to join MSI and that gives you the ability to buy the range badge at AGC for $200. $225 per year for unlimited shooting. No requirements for meetings or hours.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Not all the clubs require events and maintenance. MSI for example. $25 to join MSI and that gives you the ability to buy the range badge at AGC for $200. $225 per year for unlimited shooting. No requirements for meetings or hours.

Not to mention no waiting. In the 7 or 8 years I’ve been an AGC member, I’ve only ever had to wait for a lane one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    Not to mention no waiting. In the 7 or 8 years I’ve been an AGC member, I’ve only ever had to wait for a lane one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like that is an often overlooked benefit.
    Only times I encountered that was on a hunter sight in day and when a pistol match was going. If I had bothered to check the calendar, I would have known better.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I feel like that is an often overlooked benefit.
    Only times I encountered that was on a hunter sight in day and when a pistol match was going. If I had bothered to check the calendar, I would have known better.

I've been there a few times with friends over the years and more than once an RO? would give us the stink eye for whatever reason I'm not sure. Is it still like that? Also, I really do not like the bring your own target stand set-up system. The sad thing is, it's only 15 min from my house, but I just don't like shooting there as much as Hap, and I really don't like Hap much anymore.

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    I've been there a few times with friends over the years and more than once an RO? would give us the stink eye for whatever reason I'm not sure. Is it still like that? Also, I really do not like the bring your own target stand set-up system. The sad thing is, it's only 15 min from my house, but I just don't like shooting there as much as Hap, and I really don't like Hap much anymore.

Depends on the RSO. The CRSO was pretty interested in me but once I started coming around more he pretty much ignores me. I'd say they are skeptical of people they do not recognize but are generally respectful. I'm ok with them keeping an eye on me. Once they know you they don't even bother coming by nor giving you a second look.

UPSguy

WWII enthusiast
    Dec 31, 2020
    Carroll co
    Hap baker is decent if you get there before 9:30AM.

RSO’s have always been friendly and are doing their best to watch over everyone. 2 years or so ago, all the RSO’s where Aholes it seemed like. (Different group)

Only drawback is waiting til open. If you get there at 10AM or later, might as well turn around and go home. People will sit there all day and literally bring lawn chairs and lunches… i’ve seen it. Kinda sucks for the poor guys who just want to sight in their rifles and move on. Is what it is i guess.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Hap baker is decent if you get there before 9:30AM.

RSO’s have always been friendly and are doing their best to watch over everyone. 2 years or so ago, all the RSO’s where Aholes it seemed like. (Different group)

Only drawback is waiting til open. If you get there at 10AM or later, might as well turn around and go home. People will sit there all day and literally bring lawn chairs and lunches… i’ve seen it. Kinda sucks for the poor guys who just want to sight in their rifles and move on. Is what it is i guess.

Truth! I live 20 minutes away and every time I've been there, the rifle range has been full of long-day campers, thus I've only been able to shoot pistol. I enjoyed shooting pistol there, though. One of these days, I'll actually get to shoot my long guns instead of just taking them out of the safe for a rumbly ride-along in Westmonster. :)

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I haven't been to Hap in a couple of years. I notice that they presumably have a two firearm limit these days, per their rules. That seems a bit silly to me. I'm wondering if those with recent experience at the range know if this is actually enforced, or just something they can point to as an excuse to walk you if you aren't behaving in an appropriate manner.

I'll have two of the nephews with me (under 18), so I'm not sure if they would count as part of this limit. Note it doesn't say two firearms per person, just "two firearm limit."

Just want to safely sling some lead, not make half a dozen trips up and down the hill for rifles and pistols because someone in the government is simpleminded.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    That must be new. I haven’t been since October last Fall (or thereabouts), and I was shooting three rifles. Nobody said anything to me, but I was there on a Wednesday at about mid-day and there was only 2 other shooters there. Maybe they were cool with me since it was dead that day?

I never go there with less than 2 long guns, btw. But I also don’t d**k around and hog the lane all day like some folks do. They know I’ll be in and out efficiently so maybe they let me slide?

Good to know, I’ve been shopping for a range cart to carry a small arsenal with me down from the truck. That might be a non-starter now. Thanks for the heads up.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    That must be new. I haven’t been since October last Fall (or thereabouts), and I was shooting three rifles. Nobody said anything to me, but I was there on a Wednesday at about mid-day and there was only 2 other shooters there. Maybe they were cool with me since it was dead that day?

I never go there with less than 2 long guns, btw. But I also don’t d**k around and hog the lane all day like some folks do. They know I’ll be in and out efficiently so maybe they let me slide?

Good to know, I’ve been shopping for a range cart to carry a small arsenal with me down from the truck. That might be a non-starter now. Thanks for the heads up.

These rules were presumably effective 8/13/2021, which is probably right around the time I was last there. Maybe they don't care unless they need to care?

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have been there a few times since then and almost always take 3 rifles and sometimes a couple of pistols. Never had anyone say a word to me about a limit on firearms. My cart is always full when I check in.

I try to put them back into the case as soon as the barrels are cooled down, too. Occasionally, all three will be out when developing loads. Switching rifles allows the barrels to cool between ladder steps, and insures a good test session. It also allows me to accomplish what I want to do much faster, so another shooter can get a lane more quickly.

Using large chamber flags makes it easy for them to see that my rifles are in a safe condition when not at the firing bench.

The RSOs generally use their common sense and remember that safety is the primary goal.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I have been there a few times since then and almost always take 3 rifles and sometimes a couple of pistols. Never had anyone say a word to me about a limit on firearms. My cart is always full when I check in.

I try to put them back into the case as soon as the barrels are cooled down, too. Occasionally, all three will be out when developing loads. Switching rifles allows the barrels to cool between ladder steps, and insures a good test session. It also allows me to accomplish what I want to do much faster, so another shooter can get a lane more quickly.

Using large chamber flags makes it easy for them to see that my rifles are in a safe condition when not at the firing bench.

The RSOs generally use their common sense and remember that safety is the primary goal.

Outstanding! I'm glad to read this. Thanks for posting.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I went there on Friday. Things have certainly changed since my last visit. Instead of signing in on a clipboard and sliding the gent a few bucks, there was an electronic sign in process. They even wanted a driver's license number. I know that's standard at indoor ranges, but it was a bit of a surprise at a place like Hap. Instead of taking 45 seconds, it was the better part of 20 questions and 10 minutes to get signed in. Additionally there were at least three ROs working the rifle line at any given time, as well as one in the pistol house. I remember times when it was just one person on the rifle line, though there were usually two.

I think I was the only person there under the age of 65. Most of the shooters and ROs seemed to know each other rather well. That was drawing me some extra attention from the ROs, since they didn't know me. I very much felt like an outsider there. I wish I had been able to shoot a PCC in the pistol house, but the RO working the pistol house said nothing with a stock can be used in the pistol house. That was fine, but that was a change from the last time I was there. If I had known about that change before I gave up my rifle lane, I would have had a chance to shoot it. Oh well, one less firearm to clean.

Everyone was safe. It was a day at the range, so it was great. Just a weird vibe compared to my prior experiences there. Delmarva Sporting Clays is almost 3x the distance each way for me, but until something better comes along, I'll probably go back to DSC before returning to Hap.

Very much hoping to get into BCGF next year!

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Went up on Saturday with a friend and was surprised it was not busier. No waiting line after the first group was assigned lanes.

His initial sign-in did take a few minutes and some questions seem to be more than should be necessary, but the next time, he will be in the system making sign-in much faster.

We had a good time, which was the goal.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    You know for $75 you can join Littlestown Fish and Game---20 minutes up the road(Rt 97) from Westminster--just over the Pa line--rifle and pistol ranges--public trap and sporting clays---during the week its not crowded--check out their website----just google it---good bunch of guys there.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You know for $75 you can join Littlestown Fish and Game---20 minutes up the road(Rt 97) from Westminster--just over the Pa line--rifle and pistol ranges--public trap and sporting clays---during the week its not crowded--check out their website----just google it---good bunch of guys there.
    After reading what I just read about his experience, I was going to mention the same thing. I haven't shot this year, but if I finally get around to it, I will be joining Littlestown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom