• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Anyone who uses the Lee Load All II trust the powder thrower part of it?
    I measured my Clays seperatly and am worried that the flake powder will bridge and I won't see it when using the blind method of the Load all.
    I do have a spare Lee perfect powder measure that has been sitting idle (I use a Lyman 55 for pistol/bulk rifle) and I could screw it down on my plank I use for the Load All

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Anyone who uses the Lee Load All II trust the powder thrower part of it?
    I measured my Clays seperatly and am worried that the flake powder will bridge and I won't see it when using the blind method of the Load all.
    I do have a spare Lee perfect powder measure that has been sitting idle (I use a Lyman 55 for pistol/bulk rifle) and I could screw it down on my plank I use for the Load All
    Are you worrying about not dropping any powder or half a charge because it has clumped together? If that’s the case I wouldn’t worry about that. If you leave the powder in the machine between loading sessions I would perform a couple of test throws prior to loading shells. The only time I’ve heard of bridging is when there is foreign matter found in the drop tube. Bugs, the string from a bag of shot (in the shot drop tube), etc. Their powder drop system using bushings is very similar to all of the fancier loaders out there.

If you’re worried about a small variation in powder drop weights that is normal and not significant. It’s not like metallic reloading where half a grain is significant.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Are you worrying about not dropping any powder or half a charge because it has clumped together? If that’s the case I wouldn’t worry about that. If you leave the powder in the machine between loading sessions I would perform a couple of test throws prior to loading shells. The only time I’ve heard of bridging is when there is foreign matter found in the drop tube. Bugs, the string from a bag of shot (in the shot drop tube), etc. Their powder drop system using bushings is very similar to all of the fancier loaders out there.

If you’re worried about a small variation in powder drop weights that is normal and not significant. It’s not like metallic reloading where half a grain is significant.

Got it. I know I have seen with big flake powders bridging on the down spout so that what was not included in one throw can show up in the next throw. but thinking about it more, the shot dropping down would clear any of that out and show up with the shot and not necessarily even burn? or not burn initially in the chamber? I guess if that were a thing we'd have heard about it by now?

I don't run a progressive so dropping blind charges w/o a visual inspection step is something I've never done before.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Reloaded a box tonight.
    Getting the hang of it now. Shimming up the first crimp stage to get more of a first crimp helps. Then putting the resizing collar in the decapping stage while dropping the 2nd crimp stage will limit the crimp so it won't over crimp too deep which was pulling the hole open more. Last 5 came out great with a closed iris.
    I used the disk that by the table showed 16.7gr of Clays (My formula wants 17gr) and tapping before and after dropping the powder was decent throwing 16.7-17.0gr. My concern of blind powder throwing was aleviated because I can weigh the primed shell on my scale then drop the powder then pull it out and either visually inspect or weigh the charge.

Just wondering how many reloads I'll be able to get out of these Win AA hulls.

Going good now :)

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Sounds good! .3 grains under is NBD in shotshell reloading. You can load the hulls until they split at the top where the crimp is. The old AA’s (compression formed) could be loaded 10 times. The new HS ones will split before that. Someone chronographed hulls after each firing and found out that the shell lost very little pressure from multiple loadings there were obvious signs the hull was bad.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    eacc88e30f7d86416ae2ebdc7d5855fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    I use the load all but my shotgun is just for play. I load all kinds of weird stuff in them. BB's Marbles, I even shredded metal I cut off the fenders of my jeep when I made flat fenders and used that. I just think its neat all the things I can put in a shot shell. I have found the you need the sum of the contents to be the exact right height in the shell. If that happens you can get beautiful crimps that look exactly like factory loads. It looks to me from your last picture they there is slightly to much in it. I bet if you removed maybe 6 pellets it would make a beautiful crimp. Try it with one. If it works you know you need different wads

Dec 31, 2012
    I use the load all but my shotgun is just for play. I load all kinds of weird stuff in them. BB's Marbles, I even shredded metal I cut off the fenders of my jeep when I made flat fenders and used that. I just think its neat all the things I can put in a shot shell...

What does your barrel look like?

As a teen we loaded whatever we had and destroyed some barrels, but we were never careful about using proper cups so I'm sure that contributed.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    What does your barrel look like?

As a teen we loaded whatever we had and destroyed some barrels, but we were never careful about using proper cups so I'm sure that contributed.

My barrels actually looks fine. I only use my 18.5 inch barrel for that and I use wads that have petals on the sides to protect the barrel.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Aamdskeetshooter mentioned it in passing , but I'll emphasize it again :

AA HS hulls are Not the same as the Original Classic AA hulls .

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Aamdskeetshooter mentioned it in passing , but I'll emphasize it again :

AA HS hulls are Not the same as the Original Classic AA hulls .

I found this description:
    "Win AA" or "Win AA-old" refers the the original, tapered AA hull

"Win AA-HS" refers to the new, three piece, High Strength hull

So, how do I tell the difference?

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    I found this description:
    "Win AA" or "Win AA-old" refers the the original, tapered AA hull

"Win AA-HS" refers to the new, three piece, High Strength hull

So, how do I tell the difference?
    Win AA-HS hulls have an "HS" stamp on the face of the brass.
    old AA hulls have the "AA" surrounded by a rectangle on the hull
    new AA hulls are missing the rectangle and only have a ______ under the AA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom