• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I mean, if you do the fix I did, they are fine. My supervisor had one on his patrol rifle and the switch cracked and snapped off while he was shooting. One of my shift partners had his switch crack and fail as well, he sent it in to have it replaced. I believe the fix was free. I haven't heard of this issue on the surefire products. I am aware they cost more but the original post referred to money not being an object. Personally I would like to pick up an XC-1.

I had the battery compartment door snap at the pivot pin when closing it on my tlr1s. It was probably me monkey-handing it and not being careful enough when latching it closed. Replacement parts are easy to find though. It's the only problem I've had with it.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    actually the loaded spring fed magazine fatigue issue is a well known, documented fact...
    Which is a major reason why those that are aware of it don't leave their mags fully loaded, they'll usually load 1 or 2 less than full capacity to extend the fully loaded, and sitting fatigue life and or cycle their loaded mags at an interval.

There are many that claim to have never experienced the issue and that you can leave them loaded indefintely, I disagree and have had way too many personal experiences with multiple firearms to say it's not a legit issue. So for home defense I go with a revolver to not take a chance, one less permutation for me to consider. For EDC I carry fully loaded mags, which I reload and cycle every day. I have 8 mags in rotation.

My Glock 36 (.45acp) litterally had rounds fall out of the mag after sitting loaded for a month at a time... brand new glock factory mags, multiple times... sitting compressed fatigue, not load, shoot, repeat fatigue.

IF you've ever seen sagging leaf & coil springs on car's and trucks, they got that way from the vehicle weight on them 24x7 and or towing and substained, prolonged compression is what shortens the life of all springs more than compress & release.

This is a well-known, age old problem, I first learned about it 30+ years ago in the USMC in bootcamp as applicable to then m16's and 1911's.

What causes springs to wear out?
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-causes-springs-to-wear-out.519055/

Spring Creep and Fatigue
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/creep-and-fatigue.259098/

Here's a good 411 on the Cloud Defensive Lights:
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/cloud-defensive-rein-review/

No, suspension on a vehicle is constantly getting loaded and unloaded. What you don't realize is both leaf and coil springs are cycled hundreds of thousands of times over the life of a vehicle and in addition to that, there's a harmonic vibration occurring during use that you can't even see with the naked eye. It's just like bending a paperclip back and forth until it gets weak.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No, suspension on a vehicle is constantly getting loaded and unloaded. What you don't realize is both leaf and coil springs are cycled hundreds of thousands of times over the life of a vehicle and in addition to that, there's a harmonic vibration occurring during use that you can't even see with the naked eye. It's just like bending a paperclip back and forth until it gets weak.

Exactly. It is cycling of a spring that wears it out.

You CAN compress it far enough to wear it out. But steady state compression doesn’t wear it out any more than compressing it to one position and than unloading it right away.

TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    As a retired LEO, I don't recommend any light or laser in home defense. Unless you really need those devices you have to remember they work both ways. In my home I have 3 places of last resort, this will leave the intruder at a disadvantage no matter what they do or time of day or night. The one advantage I have is I night fired in the Marines and in LE, both taught me not to use illumination other than the muzzle flash and it definitely works. Of course we didn't have access to lasers and these high power lights, so you may want to see what the experts have to say also.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    that's not what i'm saying.

In a nut shell if you want to have a zero percent chance of a bad magazine spring or a fail to feed which are two problems unique to semi auto's...

A revolver is a good choice in a home defense scenairo for at least those two reasons.

Peace.
    There's no such thing as a zero percent chance BUT I'll take my mags that have been loaded for quite some time and not even think twice about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom