• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    Using concealedcarry.com (and handgunlaw.us) permit information I assume as a "deprived" MD resident I should leave the resident permit selection null and choose only the non-resident permit option?

Since my desire is the option to CCW in Florida along with the bulk of Appalachian states am I correct in understanding the most (or only) viable solution would be a FL non-resident CCW (aside from relocation)?

Any form of PA CCW permit is basically out of reach as a MD resident? NH reciprocates with PA but it looks to be for NH resident permits only.

I used to spend much time in NV and would like to add NH (Appalachians) so it would be nice to have those added but desire to stick to one non-res permit and forgo the NH/UT permits.

Insight and opinions appreciated.

Last edited:

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    Appreciate the reply Mark392001.

The usconcealedcarry.com site had me a bit excited on two levels. It first has you input resident state whether or not you have a carry permit issued by it, clearer info than the sites I referenced in my OP. Second was when I input FL as my permit state I quickly noted it showed NH with no restriction and ME with restrictions. NH and ME displayed no reciprocity on the other sites. The problem arose when I found the ME restriction was a requirement that the CCW permit be FL-resident. I'd think it would have determined that by my initial state selection so I was semi-deflated. Only semi (for now) because I see they list NH as allowed while the other sites I mentioned list NH as not allowed. I'll have to go directly to the state's site for positive info. Now, non-resident FL permit reciprocity does show many more "YES, With Restrictions" (vs. "YES, Allowed to Carry") states than UT/NH but from what I can see most look to be innocuous such as age, will have to look closer when I get more time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For such sites , Handgunlaw dot us takes greatest efforts to be accurate and up to date .

If your main priority is to carry in actual Florida , the Florida Non Resident is your ( only) answer .

If you lack a Maryland W&C ( but have at least one non res carry permt) your answer for Pennsylvania includes the Phrases : Open Carry on Foot , Concealed in vehicle , avoid City of Philadelphia , and suspend disbelief about the so called State of Emergency for Opoid Addiction .

For Delaware , Utah is a good answer .

And an observation ; New Hampshire is the Fastest ( not in person @ Pa Sheriff ) option for a Non Resident , and is honored most places in East US that accept Non Res ,but is spotty out west .

Having a single Non Resident is Not an option if your plans include Florida , Delaware , or Washington DC .

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    What makes things screwy for you (outside of MD's crappy CCW laws) is those states that mandate reciprocal permits are only good for those states' residents. PA & CO w/o permit at least are go for open carry (outside Philly & Denver), but SC has no such option.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    For such sites , Handgunlaw dot us takes greatest efforts to be accurate and up to date .

If your main priority is to carry in actual Florida , the Florida Non Resident is your ( only) answer .

If you lack a Maryland W&C ( but have at least one non res carry permt) your answer for Pennsylvania includes the Phrases : Open Carry on Foot , Concealed in vehicle , avoid City of Philadelphia , and suspend disbelief about the so called State of Emergency for Opoid Addiction .

For Delaware , Utah is a good answer .

And an observation ; New Hampshire is the Fastest ( not in person @ Pa Sheriff ) option for a Non Resident , and is honored most places in East US that accept Non Res ,but is spotty out west .

Having a single Non Resident is Not an option if your plans include Florida , Delaware , or Washington DC .

Maine is easier than UT to cover DE- no fingerprinting requirements and training requirement accepts more options. Fast turnaround also.

Fedora

Dec 16, 2018
    Florida is not good about issuing non-resident CCWs in a timely manner. It would be probably be prudent to seek licensing from another state as well. The Florida / Utah combination is common.

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    Great information from all!

It's looking like FL non-res is a must for me. In addition to itself it provides just about all localities of interest to me. Funny that DE has been mentioned. I do have friends I visit at OC and Rehobth but because I traverse over the MD/DE line so much when there it would be a great test of keeping legal so pretty much not even a thought of attempting carry when here.

As relates to carry in PA -- Looking at PA's state police and AG info I'm totally confused as to eligibility. From the handgunlaw.us site "Open Carry is legal except a valid permit/license is needed to carry a loaded handgun openly or concealed in a vehicle and for openly carrying in the city of Philadelphia." I read this as permitless open carry of a loaded handgun is allowed. Vehicle carry of a loaded handgun is prohibited permitless be it open or concealed and yes, Philly is 100% out of bounds. Correct?

Yea, a few of the states honoring only FL resident reciprocity were on my eastern wish list but it's shamefully clear there is no perfect world in this regard. :-(

I'm in no rush to get the permit and good thing that is. I seem to have misplaced my MD HQL so have to order a replacement and hope FL still accepts that to fulfill one of their requirements.

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    I really need to take a legal course so as to be able to fully understand legalese.

From PA statute Title 18
    § 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
    (11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    (12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.
    (13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.
    (14) A person lawfully engaged in the interstate transportation of a firearm as defined under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3) (relating to definitions) in compliance with 18 U.S.C. § 926A (relating to interstate transportation of firearms).
    (15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided: (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.
    (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.
    Am I missing the designation differentiating OC vs. CC in the above? Suspect I'm looking in the wrong place.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There are Two places .

6106 is relevant to use , in that if you have Any Permit issued anywhere in the US , you may carry loaded within your vehicle.

6109 adresses Open vs. Concealed

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    Thanks again Biggfoot44!

I'll admit I'm beating a dead horse here with regard to PA law as I'm generally not comfortable with the thought of open carry in populated areas so kind of a moot topic. It will be nice though to take advantage of it in the federal & state parks. Still, much appreciate all the insight. ;-)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Presuming that is still Pa , Pa State Parks are CC only , but Pa State Forests are either way .

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    Thanks again Biggfoot44!

As we all should perform our own due diligence I just chased down well over a couple dozen documents (state, federal and legal). Now I fully understand that given the combination of their ambiguity and lack of comprehensive central repository of law (by the states) they clearly intend this as a means of discouragement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom