• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pretty much any gunsmith can do this for you.

Problem is, most have several month waits.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Most likely a pipe cutter won’t cut through a steel barrel as they are designed for copper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tell that to the Remington 700 .308 I cut to 16.25", the Norinco m97 I cut to 18.25" and the Winchester model 1300 I cut to 18.25".

all cut fine, just cut slow, a quarter turn of the cutter tension screw at a time. make sure the cutter follows the same cut all the way around. the only thing it won't do is heavy varmint barrels like on a Ruger 10/22.

I love internet ppl who tell me something won't work when I have already done it.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Been calling and emailing places. Just about all of them won't work on class 3 stuff. And the one or two that will want hundreds of dollars for this.

Eff it. Hacksaw it is. Looks like I'll be learning how to install a bead as well.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Take the barrel off and ship it to someone who will.
    File the paperwork ow for the receiver portion

Cutting it down to 12" tells them it'll be a SBS when it's done. They won't touch it. I tried!

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Been calling and emailing places. Just about all of them won't work on class 3 stuff. And the one or two that will want hundreds of dollars for this.

Eff it. Hacksaw it is. Looks like I'll be learning how to install a bead as well.

Maybe use one of these facing tools to square everything up after you go to town with the hacksaw.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007164868

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Maybe use one of these facing tools to square everything up after you go to town with the hacksaw.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007164868

This is the route I'm taking. I've given up on having a pro do this. I'm at the point of "eff it". I'll be using a hacksaw and a router with this crowning bit to clean up the cut. Should come out relatively nice actually. The stamp, and the tool for this will be the most expensive part of this project.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    This is the route I'm taking. I've given up on having a pro do this. I'm at the point of "eff it". I'll be using a hacksaw and a router with this crowning bit to clean up the cut. Should come out relatively nice actually. The stamp, and the tool for this will be the most expensive part of this project.

Be careful with that router. The muzzle crowning tools are meant to be turned by hand.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Be careful with that router. The muzzle crowning tools are meant to be turned by hand.

The one linked in this thread is for a lathe. I'll throw the barrel in a vice and use my router or maybe a friends drill press.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom