• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -A while back I picked up a nice Type 26 revolver and of course had to find the correct holster for it. This started an unexpected trip down the rabbit hole as I discovered that the Japanese closely copied their design from the French 1873 and 1895 holsters. All too often when you see a listing for a Japanese T26 holster it's really a French 1895 and vice versa as sellers don't know how to ID them.
    -Fast forward to today. I already have a both French 1873 and Japanese T26 holsters but just managed to acquire a French 1895. Upon arrival I pulled all three out and snapped some photos to show unique features to act as a guide when you run across one.
    -The big difference between all three is found in the ammo pouch. The French 1873 has 6 loops for rounds while the Japanese T26 has 8 and the French 1895 has 3. The 1895 had ammo packed in 6 round bundles which explains the 3 large ammo loops.
    -Otherwise it's really hard to tell the 1895 and T26 apart. The only other distinct tell will be ink stamps in the shell liner. And all too often time has removed them, esp. on the T26 which had a tiny stamp.

Attachments

• IMGP9527.jpg
      IMGP9527.jpg
      54.2 KB · Views: 98
    • IMGP9522.jpg
      IMGP9522.jpg
      69 KB · Views: 90
    Jul 1, 2012
    The Type 26 holster should have individual loops for 18 rounds total (3 reloads) but you have to look deep down in there for the row of 6, and then 4 loops on the inside of the outer pouch wall (the rows of stitches you can see either side of the clasp post). Most have a pouch along the leading edge for a cleaning rod (real early ones don't). There are some subtle differences in stitching patterns and hardware but the ammo loops are the big tell.

An original cleaning rod is very tough to find, it's pretty unique-looking with a complex curved loop.

I think it's a right of passage for collectors of Japanese stuff to buy a French holster by mistake... I put a check in that box :)

Attachments

• DSC_0882.JPG
      DSC_0882.JPG
      78.6 KB · Views: 85
    • DSC_0905.JPG
      DSC_0905.JPG
      72.9 KB · Views: 82

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member