• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Unless you pay big bucks for the companies who wipe/erase your digital foot print and you attempt to do it yourself you are just kidding yourself. Phone records, emails and texts are stored by all the service providers. The US Gov does and can get access to your stuff regardless of what other say.

Don’t you think there is a big difference between what a government agency has access to, and some internet keyboard warrior looking to publish personal info about someone online, just to fvck with them, or a lazy criminal looking to use easily found in an identity theft crime.

I know you have seen the other side from the government’s perspective but that is not information that everyone has easy access to.

Your point about using your phone number at the grocery store is also a good one. That info could be stolen from someone within the organization or maybe through some system breech. However that’s no different that say the recent T-Mobile hack. If that info gets out and I’m part of that data set, it’s out. I guess someone could go to the dark web and buy such a list. The thing is that the average joe doesn’t have access to that info either.

So you are saying there is just no value whatsoever in trying to remove the low hanging fruit?

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I thought your thread was pretty specific about who you want to protect your information from; the angry mob. Not the government. Seems to make sense to me.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I thought your thread was pretty specific about who you want to protect your information from; the angry mob. Not the government. Seems to make sense to me.

I’ve got a pretty thick skin. Actually I really appreciate the fact that those participating in the discussion are bringing some valuable experience that I surely do not possess yet. Harry and others have made me think about some aspects of this endeavor that I had not considered. I’m still moving forward for the time being.

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    As we approach a possible tipping point in our history, it might be well to consider John Hancock. While his flamboyant signature was not actually conveyed to George III, the message was passed along to underscore the point for future generations.

Our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor . . .

Attachments

• John Hancock.jpg
      John Hancock.jpg
      77.1 KB · Views: 234

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Is there anyway to protect info when a 3rd party obtains (hacks) it such as this: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1484646/crime-news-Guntrader-shotgun-rifle-jake-davison

It seems like we are really at the mercy of how well others protect our info as much as how we protect it. I envy those that have common names such as John Smith or Dave Johnson as unique names don't have the ability to "hide within the herd" on even a basic Google search. The thought of changing names sounds good but with all the other trails that lead back to a person, is it really worth it.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Is there anyway to protect info when a 3rd party obtains (hacks) it such as this: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1484646/crime-news-Guntrader-shotgun-rifle-jake-davison

It seems like we are really at the mercy of how well others protect our info as much as how we protect it. I envy those that have common names such as John Smith or Dave Johnson as unique names don't have the ability to "hide within the herd" on even a basic Google search. The thought of changing names sounds good but with all the other trails that lead back to a person, is it really worth it.

I can’t remember who up thread commented on it, but one of the podcasts I listened to the guy recommended creating “fake data” to sort of obscure your real data. I suspect what they mean is create a fictional address, phone number and other personal details and start filling using this information when signing up for bogus services like rewards cards, ect. It seems like it would take a really long time to make a difference.

One idea I had to protect from the masses would be to create a fake facebook (and other social media) accounts using my real name, but do it in such a way to lead potential trouble makers somewhere other than my real work and home. The issue would be to make sure your fake account didn’t accidentally endanger some innocent person. For example using an address that belonged to someone else, or a real workplace location.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I can’t remember who up thread commented on it, but one of the podcasts I listened to the guy recommended creating “fake data” to sort of obscure your real data. I suspect what they mean is create a fictional address, phone number and other personal details and start filling using this information when signing up for bogus services like rewards cards, ect. It seems like it would take a really long time to make a difference.

One idea I had to protect from the masses would be to create a fake facebook (and other social media) accounts using my real name, but do it in such a way to lead potential trouble makers somewhere other than my real work and home. The issue would be to make sure your fake account didn’t accidentally endanger some innocent person. For example using an address that belonged to someone else, or a real workplace location.

Good points ToolAA - I have been using an old telephone number to reduce spam callers who buy telephone numbers but adding those other "fake data" infos sound good.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III

Fake data has been an effective tool in combating online advertising and tracking for many years, security through obscurity.

http://makeinternetnoise.com/
    https://adnauseam.io/

Attachments

• trackmenot2009.pdf
      196 KB · Views: 151

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    Do you use a paid search tool for phone number searches. I've searched my licence plates before and have never been able to find any link to my personal information for free. Do you use a paid service for this?

There are paid services available, as well as less 'legitimate' means that would probably run afoul of federal laws should one be so inclined to pursue them. Unfortunately, such methods are far from difficult to uncover and people with criminal intent are likely not concerns with breaking one set of laws (accessing private/privileged data) while in pursuit of breaking other laws (doxing).

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Good points ToolAA - I have been using an old telephone number to reduce spam callers who buy telephone numbers but adding those other "fake data" infos sound good.
    867-5309...
    Any area code, is quite commonly used at stores.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

So I found out that some prepaid phone companies offer 1 week free trial cards. Sometimes they can be found sometimes for a few bucks.

MINT mobile cards are $2 for a two pack at BestBuy. you get 250mb 4G LTE Data, 250 minutes and 250 Texts for a 7 day trail. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/mint-mobile-prepaid-sim-card-starter-kit/6310601.p?skuId=6310601

You can buy a pack of these and activate them just to use to register for services where you do not want to give your real personal info.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    So I've been slowly plugging away at this process each day and I'm starting to see some positive results. Here are a few notable details.

Many online data brokers have online data removal tools. You simply type in your name and state and then you'll be presented with a list of names that match. Search for any that seem to match your own address (or previous addresses) and request the records deleted.

Here is an example from one company https://members.infotracer.com/removeMyData/ I would enter only your first and last name and the state you live in. You'll be presented with a list of matching names. In my case I saw several records which pointed to my current address as well as several previous addresses. I also saw data from relatives. This specific site allows you to just click the record you want deleted and submit online. You'll get an email which you need to confirm. Back around my initial post I submitted a bunch of delete requests.

Today 10 days later I went back and searched multiple sites for personal info. I was pleased to find that while info still existed on some, most of the records I requested to be removed, were indeed removed.

By getting rid of some of the low hanging fruit I was able to see some more detailed records that I had not discovered before. I stumbled across a website https://trustoria.com/ This site is NOT listed on the https://www.inteltechniques.com/workbook.html On this site I found several resumes online and my work history, along with names of my current business partner and even previous U.S. patents I'm named on. I would suggest checking out this site. The fact that my current employers information was included was and extremely important piece if info that I want deleted. What is great is that I submitted my request to delete my records using their removal link https://trustoria.com/control/privacy Fortunately within 24 hours of my removal request, all of this personal information is gone!

There have been a few stubborn ones, but I'm going to keep requesting deletion for a while but if that doesn't work, I'll start sending emails.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thanks for the update. I am following your lead and hope this works for me also

I’m curious did you actually start checking to see what you could find about yourself online? Have you attempted to wipe any records yet?

It was late when I wrapped up my session last night but there are two other observations.

During my followup searches I have found information linked to my name but with clearly incorrect data. For example one record had my name, and address, but the address was a place I lives 25yrs ago. It was also off by a few digits. I did a google map search and there isn’t even a house at the specific number listed. So I left that record in tact. It’s gold in my opinion, and I’ll explain why later. N

Also I mentioned above where a site had professional links to resumes and previous careers. In one of those cases two of the historical work details were clearly not me. I deleted all of the specific work histories that were mine, but left the two incorrect ones in place.

My hope with this strategy is to use this incorrect information to build some fake breadcrumbs. For example when you go to some of these people search sites, there will be links like “Is this you?” If your information is NOT correct you can click here to update our records. I have not done it yet, but believe this is the best path to obscure my real info in a sea of irrelevant noise.

One if the real big data brokers innovis seems to make it really hard to delete records. They only allow one record deletion per email address. Even though it appears that you can delete dozens of records directly related to you, they eventually sent me over a dozen emails saying my request could not be processed. Today my plan is to either use gmail aliases or if necessary use Blurr to create dozens if masked forwarding emails. It’s a lot if work but now I can see that Innovis is a big dog in the data brokerage world. Dozens of the secondary search engines simple use Innovis data and rebrand it as their own.

I’m also realizing that I may need to subscribe to a few of these paid services for maybe just 1 month in order to really really confirm my data is gone. Before I do this part, I plan to create a totally fake user profile linked to hopefully a VISA debit card that I purchased with cash and a free proton mail account. I’ll be using one of that incorrect address that I found last night too.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Interesting topic. Thanks for pulling this together. I wonder how much personal info it's really possible to scrub these days, since it seems like it's everywhere (especially from all the data breaches companies seem to be having), but every little bit helps.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Interesting topic. Thanks for pulling this together. I wonder how much personal info it's really possible to scrub these days, since it seems like it's everywhere (especially from all the data breaches companies seem to be having), but every little bit helps.

I'm finding that you can actually remove quite a bit. The problem is that even if there are a few sources that you are unable to easily remove, once someone wants to DOX or attach you online, they will likely find one of these sources with your info I think however by getting rid of as much as you can, you remove some of the low hanging fruit that lazy criminals could easily take advantage of. You sort of hope it's like having cameras on your porch and a dog. If the would be criminal thinks it's going to be too much work to steel from you, he/she will just move on to the next easy target.

I didn't quite realize the nature of information available through data breeches vs. data aggregated by paid web services like Whitepages.com

Data breech data really doesn't make it's way to the paid services as far as I can tell. These companies scrape data from all kinds of public records and also from private data which is freely available publicly (like public phone data).

Data breech data is often sold to criminals or freely available on the dark web. Here is a link to information about the recent IntelX scrape data which was posted online. This 6gb file contains 46 million email address and other info, including passwords. You can find and download this file online. I did because I wanted to see if it contained any personal data of myself and family. (Warning do not download unless you have a way to open the file in a virtual machine or safe Linux environment. The file is laced with several malware viruses.) I actually found the email address and password from my late brother. I recognized the PW because he had shared it with me to access some website under his name at one time. There were many records which included the IP address of the user along with some personal information related to the website the record was initially pulled from.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I did a search and found a bunch of links.

I started asking for removal, got three emails within thirty minutes asking for verification and then today I got emails stating items were removed.

PaFrank

Apr 2, 2020
    great discussion. Of course protecting yourself online is becoming increasingly more important and unfortunately more complicated. but there are folks out there investigating and testing all this "stuff". and you will find a TON of info on this site.
    https://restoreprivacy.com/

I'm gonna repost this as a new thread so its not buried in a long thread of responses and will be more easily found and read..

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    For anyone attempting this I made an Excel Worksheet by copying the actual hyperlinks from the https://inteltechniques.com/workbook.html. It should be attached to this response, but this is the first time I've every tried attaching a document on the forum. I'm finding this is making it a lot easier for me to quickly click the removal links and also list the status of each record check and the removal status.

I also moved the primary data brokers to the top of the list. This is because once those are addressed, a lot of the smaller companies will not show any data on their sites, and they are just easy to check off the list.

Each data company has space for 9 records or family members. In my case I'm checking me, my wife, kids, parents and my siblings that shared a previous address with me and still live nearby. So when I find a record I want removed, I'll copy the link to the excel file. This way, I can simply go back and click on it a few days later to see if it's been deleted yet. As of today I've requested and or confirmed deletion for the big companies and worked my way alphabetically down to the D's. 50 companies so far have been checked, contacted and verified in some way. That's over 500 individual records so far. Out of that 500 I'm still waiting for confirmation of deletion, or confirmed that I need to take additional measures to delete 143 records.

I want to offer a few more suggestions that may make things go some of this go faster for you.

1) Be prepared to create an throwaway email address that allows aliases. Gmail works for this, but other mail systems work similarly. In my case here is my example. For me SomeName+M1@gmail.com So that's me. Then for my wife I'll use SomeName+W1@gmail.com. For my kids it would be SomeName+K1, SomeName+K2, etc. The reason why I am doing this now, is that I've realized that a lot of data removal systems will limit the number of times you can use the same email address. On Intelius you can only use each email one time. This also helps on the back end, because if I get an email 3 days from now stating something like "Hello SomeName+K1@gmail.com, you information has been successfully removed from our system" I'll know immediately which record that was, then I can test it and check it off the list.

2) Concentrate on the primary sources first and do everything you can do to get those deleted. In about a week or so, a lot of the secondary data brokers that rely on these primary companies will not have any info on you, and then you can just check them off the list too.

3) MyLife.com is a bitch. The only way to get info deleted is to send them an email with the specific link to the record you want deleted. I crafted a rather lawyerly sounding email message stating that my family were victims of identity theft and included some of the relevant info. Then implied that the records I was requesting to be deleted were from immediate family members or family members or family members who reside with us at various times of the year. I have NOT yet gotten any response, other than my request was received. It's been about 10 days now and the info is still accessible. We'll See.

3) White Pages requires a phone number to delete records. After you enter the record link on the delete page, you will be presented with a code. You will need to enter your phone number. You'll get a call where you have to enter this code in order to confirm the record for deletion. I was able to use the same phone number 4 times, then it was blocked. I created a second google voice number from a different account and deleted 4 more records I wanted removed. Be prepared to find more throwaway phone numbers if you are trying to delete more records. The good news is that those records are taken down instantly once you complete the phone verification.

4) There are a few brokers that will ONLY accept deletion request by fax or mail. I'm skipping those for now, and I'll come back to them once I get the easy ones done.

5) There are also at least one secondary company (backgroundalert.com) that requires an uploaded copy of your ID. I skipped this one as well for now. It doesn't say drivers license, so I'm thinking about creating some stupid meaningless ID card (Like El Paso Yacht Club), with a random photo of someone online and submitting it in order to see what happens.

6) There are some companies in this list that seem to sell data to other business/marketing companies only, and the data about you does not seem to be accessible online for individual free or paid users. I've requested deletion but it's clear that there is going to be no way to verify that it's been done.

Attachments

• Online Data Removal Worksheet.xlsx
      98.9 KB · Views: 148

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Ancestry.com

Holy moly do they have a lot of info. You can’t browse your profile or search for any names or addresses unless you’re a paid member. So I emailed their customer support team and ask them to delete any records with my name address or families name in them. They responded right away explaining that in order to delete information I have to supply the actual URL with a link of the info I want deleted.

So I created a paid account under a fake name, trash email and prepaid debit card. I didn’t think I would actually find anything but I was wrong. So far Ancestry.com has the most detailed and expansive personal information of all sites I’ve searched.

This includes:

Address and phone numbers for every single address that I’ve ever lived from 1980 on.

High school information including yearbook photos

Census data and voter registration info.

There were over 15 links to personal data. I’ve sent them an email request. We’ll see if they pull them down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom