• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Howdy All!

I was able to snag a CZ 452 Lux (‘04) off of GB. It has had one magazine run through it (5 rounds) and then relegated to a safe. All in $520 shipped to my FFL. Pretty excited as I had a 452 Lux in 22wmr that I always wished was LR. I actually sold that Lux to a member here. It had BRNO target sights. Heck of a rifle.

440db2ee79d076c232931d7781f473b0.jpg

I immediately set to work on it.

3995d941b139079cb4cf2c4a1488faa0.jpg

Citristrip wrapped in plastic wrap, 4 hours.

Finished scraped off easily and I set to sanding. Went 600-800-1000 grit in my finishing. Nylon brushed the checkering. I was able to retain my checkering during the stripping process.

c527a260a5e2c724aa54e1db24e8e5fb.jpg

Definitely a humble stick of walnut. I changed up how I was going to finish it. If it were figured I’d have tried something new. Good old fashioned boiled linseed oil with the finger.

Here it is with its first coat -

f2da6f8033b9b8dfcc934deb334f79b3.jpg

e20da92ff6fad803f61d347c2643cd85.jpg

While all of that was happening, I took patches soaked in ballistol to all of the metal components. Took off a fair amount of fine safe rust.

ade4a247dbeb76ce29a6b2d91da12c5a.jpg

Got the action shined up once again. So now we wait on successive coats of the BLO. Then we will set to find out what ammo it likes!

- Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I had one that I ended up selling to a friend because I inherited it and already a 452 American. It was a great shooting gun and part of me does regret selling it as it was an absolute tack driver. Enjoy the new toy!

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have a 452 varmint that is an absolute tack driver as well. The 452 series are great rifles.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    b95d6418d48a66bd27f36eb4519d6785.jpg

d10f543481a25abf75c1d6cc9d759714.jpg

8 layers in

No offense but it looked pretty good in the original picture before all your work.
    A Yodave trigger kit will make the trigger better for target shooting.
    All my 452's love Wolfe Extra Match ammo but do well with the Eley black box match ammo as well

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Why would you even make that comment?! Nice job Brentona

Well since you asked. !
    Because I'm honest but it's just an opinion based on a few internet pics that may or may not be a good representation of the finish.
    If the factory finish isn't damaged on my firearms I leave them alone but then I'm not an expert wood refinisher either.
    The factory checkering on the 452's is a little shallow and have seen some people with that sort of talent improve that feature.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Looks good.
    I notice that the leading edge of the comb has a flute on one side but not the other.
    Is that a trademark feature of the maker, or is it there for some other specific purpose?

I believe that’s for the right handed shooters, wrist relief in the stock. I’m a lefty so that’s an educated guess there. Suppose it’s typical of sort of European arm as the stock is patterned as such

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    No offense but it looked pretty good in the original picture before all your work.
    A Yodave trigger kit will make the trigger better for target shooting.
    All my 452's love Wolfe Extra Match ammo but do well with the Eley black box match ammo as well

Totally respect that opinion. You gotta feel and see the rifle I suppose. That flat lifeless brown stain did nothing to my eye. I like an oil rubbed stock. See all the different variations in the wood. Just more character than another brown gun I suppose. Plus I can’t help myself with a project. So there’s that, too haha. I also like old school methods and I’ve gotten to finishing a lot of wood projects lately with multi layer BLO coats.

I have some of both those ammo flavors to test out for this puppy.

Know all about the Yo-Dave’s. I don’t know if I want to go that root with this one or not frankly. It’s main purpose is to turn squirrels heads inside out from 25-35 yards. No desire to toss an optic on it and wring out every ounce of the accuracy I know is there. Another nod to the simple use in mind is the simple finish.

Call me a romantic. Lol

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Also, I think this is a Trainer and not a Lux. The stock very much seems like Beech instead of Walnut. That was a conclusion I reached a while ago but didn’t update the thread.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    2b112a6b1b5e8f4d20e906645347ba84.jpg

Couple things -
    Not thrilled with the lighting in this picture so I may try another later.
    This is the sling I have haha not the one I ultimately want for this baby. I’d like to find a way to adapt an M1907 for this. Bed a front swivel and get some 1 1/4” loops.

This finish applying is done at 12 layers. Assembled, and hanging to finish curing. Final buff and such in about four days.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    2b112a6b1b5e8f4d20e906645347ba84.jpg

Couple things -
    Not thrilled with the lighting in this picture so I may try another later.
    This is the sling I have haha not the one I ultimately want for this baby. I’d like to find a way to adapt an M1907 for this. Bed a front swivel and get some 1 1/4” loops.

This finish applying is done at 12 layers. Assembled, and hanging to finish curing. Final buff and such in about four days.

Get some Enfield swivels,like for a N01 they're narrower/shorter for the smaller stock.
    Jim Thompson repo slings are good quality without breaking the bank. Keepers are also skived stitched and glued. If you contact him you can choose color frog type etc.
    It looks like beech wood from the closeup pictures.
    Thats a smart looking rifle,a micrometer rear sight would really set it off for shooting/range fun.
    Nice job!

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    I said I was not going to do trigger work…

So there I was with my 3,000 grit lol. The trigger was just way too damn squishy for me. I really tried to discern that “shelf” right before break. But, it really just wanted to squish all the way through for longer than I wanted. It felt almost like a three stage squish, rub, break. Well we got the squish out, and there’s a sight discernible rub. One that will work it’s self smooth in natural life. And then Clean break. I’m thinking this will wear in, remember only five rounds shot, very nicely in a couple sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom