• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Hey guys looking for some constructive feedback.

I'm looking for creating datasheets for firearms. I understand the GCA and Carbine Club already have data sheets. But those are specific to one type of firearm (Garand or Carbine). I'm trying to create something more universal.

I want to create an inventory sheet (and since that other thread got revived got me motivated to finish this project). I want to have brass armory tags and organize my collection in the safe. Seeing the armory tags at Springfield Museum really wanted me to do the same.

The idea is to come up with something brief, 1 page and fairly easy to read (maybe a couple extra pages if really necessary).

Should you (or your family) need to sell, it lists everything needed to advertise it correctly. Without being too long and drawn out. The reasons go on from here of needing to explain what it is, in your absence (either you're not there to explain it to the auction company or your estate).

We all hear stories of widows, kids, grandkids getting taken by opportunistic buyers/dealers because they don't know what they have.

I based it off of an inventory sheet from one of my clients, the IMT museum in Florida. One of their former curators helped me draft it, he said he really wished more collectors would try to document their collection in this fashion.

I haven't shown this one before but it's a Pre-WWI National Match to the Florida National Guard Team. It's extremely rare, one of 5 presently known. National Match 1903s made before WWI are nonexistent (maybe 25 in private collections), documented examples are hen's teeth rare (5 presently known).

The one I made for myself and my collection is usually geared towards US Martial Arms which are documented. I tried to modify this one towards the general collecting community and to make it more universal.

Any thoughts, questions, concerns or comments would be welcome. I attached a beta word document which I converted to a fillable form.

I don't plan on selling these. Offering them as free downloads, but I want a nice finished product.

But I would like feedback on the concept and if there's something you think should be modified, taken away or added. This is just a beta test run. The file is attached. "Beta Test Run" Might pay for an adobe account if it looks better and is more user friendly, but wanted to try the free route on a word document.

UESfj8Gl.jpg

k7ToDjil.jpg

3BrjAvrl.jpg

njo1SM2l.jpg

pTNGFjvl.jpg

Any and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

• Template - Beta Test Run.docx
      40.4 KB · Views: 66

MD80

Oct 11, 2019
    Hazzard County
    This is a well thought out design. I like the setup of the form, however, I would add a location for additional parts on hand. Perhaps a second page with description of parts and their history.

You could list the source, date manufactured if known. Also if the part was serviceable or needed repair.

With common or rare guns, adding spare parts adds value to the potential sale.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Looks like a good idea.
    I just use ordinary electronic files and then attached the type of manila hang tangs with twist wires that can easily be removed when I want.
    The files are broken down into rifle type with notes for capturing specific details if the need be.
    I think one thing that could be helpful is a place for specific sight information for shooter/target rifles
    Lyman, Redfield, Dockendorff, PH,57SME 48 S K , 17A etc. Vernier/micrometer and so on.
    The value of fine target sights especially for the Springfield rifles shouldn't be overlooked.
    It would be a shame if one got away from someone with out realizing the full potential value of some of the sight accessories, especially for the British rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom