• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    First may I thank everyone here for their input and time. Alot of good info and suggestions that I very much appreciate and are currently looking through. As much of the info has helped in narrowing down my ideas, of course now I'm stuck between two ideas. Building (or modifying) a 9mm that looks like an M16A2(16in barrel, highbar sights, handguard with the rail, classic muzzle break,etc) or building something that would essentially be a modern Tommy gun (45acp,12-14in barrel, short handguard with a front grip, peep sight, drum mag, etc). Obviously I could simply build both and probably one day I will but which to begin on first is the issue. I also know there are better set ups then either one of those. Because I consider myself more of a collector then an enthusiast, I try to get firearms that are historical models, or just stuff that is simply old(most are 60+). So because of that I tend to stay away from stuff that the lay person would call an "assault rifle", just for sale of argument unless it's something old or historical.But with being able to essential build a replica of a classic weapon I love it, plus I've always wanted a Thompson M1A1 and with customization ability of the AR-15 I could build something similar. Just got to figure out which to start on.

Well….your thread cost me $310. Chump.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Soooo…my first roller delayed AR9.

Attachments

• 15247502-627C-4E59-AA72-52C848681942.jpg
      15247502-627C-4E59-AA72-52C848681942.jpg
      146.7 KB · Views: 149

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Sexy! Range report ASAP!

Hopefully tomorrow. Been bored a lot over the pandemic and all my stuff was in pieces. Lol.

Going to compare it to my radial delayed blowback if I get up the gumption to reassemble it today.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Sexy! Range report ASAP!

So….went dove hunting, so brought it along. Very soft shooting, but wouldn’t cycle. I didn’t bring springs along to play with so left it at that. The roller delay mechanism seems to suck up all the energy so it short strokes.

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Wanted to get your guys opinions on two things I'm considering. I have a line on a AR-9, in the exact configuration I want, with the M16A2 fore grip and stock, the classic iron sight with the carry handle, 16in barrel. It's made by Olympic arms, and was curious if anyone knows anything about them and if they're any good. They guy also said their are a few pieces missing off if it, which makes me worried about purchasing it because I'm not sure how interchangeable these parts are, like would I have to get something specific or is it something easy to replace? He said that it's missing it's forward assist, the ejector port cover and the a2 sight. I'm just curious how difficult it would be to replace these parts,is it something specific I'd have to get or is it something I can get easily. The second thing I wanted to get your guys opinion, I have a line on a complete upper (barrel,foregrip, sights, bolt,etc) made by Anderson firearms and was curious your opinions on them

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wanted to get your guys opinions on two things I'm considering. I have a line on a AR-9, in the exact configuration I want, with the M16A2 fore grip and stock, the classic iron sight with the carry handle, 16in barrel. It's made by Olympic arms, and was curious if anyone knows anything about them and if they're any good. They guy also said their are a few pieces missing off if it, which makes me worried about purchasing it because I'm not sure how interchangeable these parts are, like would I have to get something specific or is it something easy to replace? He said that it's missing it's forward assist, the ejector port cover and the a2 sight. I'm just curious how difficult it would be to replace these parts,is it something specific I'd have to get or is it something I can get easily. The second thing I wanted to get your guys opinion, I have a line on a complete upper (barrel,foregrip, sights, bolt,etc) made by Anderson firearms and was curious your opinions on them

I don't see any problem replacing the missing parts you mention. I would be very curious as to why those parts are missing. What kind of mags does it take? Colt style or those obscene giant poly mags they make. Does the gun you mentioned come with mags? That would be my biggest concern.

Andersons can be hit or miss. If you go that route, make sure you can shoot it before you buy.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

A member had an Olympic AR9 for sale and it used proprietary mags. If that's the case, I would pass.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    So….went dove hunting, so brought it along. Very soft shooting, but wouldn’t cycle. I didn’t bring springs along to play with so left it at that. The roller delay mechanism seems to suck up all the energy so it short strokes.

Any more news on the Scheel buffer? have put one in my cart about 5 times now, but haven't bought one yet. Will definitely snag one if it runs reliably, and makes a big difference in recoil, but it's pricey, worried about wearing into the aluminum tube, and not sure how much of a difference it makes vs a RDB setup or a well tuned blowback setup.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Any more news on the Scheel buffer? have put one in my cart about 5 times now, but haven't bought one yet. Will definitely snag one if it runs reliably, and makes a big difference in recoil, but it's pricey, worried about wearing into the aluminum tube, and not sure how much of a difference it makes vs a RDB setup or a well tuned blowback setup.

Not yet. I need to get it to my MIL's and play with the springs.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Got to my MILs today. Totally forgot to bring an assortment of buffer springs. I played with the springs inside the buffer, and know they aren’t the problem. It’s the buffer spring. It comes with 2. I have the weaker one in. I’ll try their stronger spring. I have an assortment of sprinco springs. I’ll do more playing this weekend. I gotta sight in a couple rifles anyway…

Attachments

• BF9978ED-A771-4F86-B4CF-943C2692B9D3.jpg
      BF9978ED-A771-4F86-B4CF-943C2692B9D3.jpg
      120.8 KB · Views: 82

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Thank you guys for your in put, the verdict is that I'm basically passing on the Olympic, seems the issue is the work great until the don't, and then nothing can get them working properly again. Still thinking about the Anderson complete upper, have been looking at possible getting a PSA AR-9, and just switching out and adding the parts I want (think M16A2). Let me know if you guys have any thoughts.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thank you guys for your in put, the verdict is that I'm basically passing on the Olympic, seems the issue is the work great until the don't, and then nothing can get them working properly again. Still thinking about the Anderson complete upper, have been looking at possible getting a PSA AR-9, and just switching out and adding the parts I want (think M16A2). Let me know if you guys have any thoughts.

Foxtrot Mike upper and lower worked well for me.

Attachments

• rifle-9mm-fm-ar9.jpg
      rifle-9mm-fm-ar9.jpg
      69.2 KB · Views: 70

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The FM9 is a standard blow back design; not radial or roller-delayed like some of the ones mentioned. It has a bit of a thump to it.

The roller delayed mechanism is in the buffer tube, so can be used with a plain old blowback upper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom