Does anyone use software to track your collection?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    I use MyGunDb and it is awesome,but I caution you. The developer has abandoned the software and it has some bugs that will never be fixed.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I just keep an Excel spreadsheet of all pertinent information (type, make, model, caliber, barrel length, price paid, stock material) as a matter of convenience but also in case of theft.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I just keep an Excel spreadsheet of all pertinent information (type, make, model, caliber, barrel length, price paid, stock material) as a matter of convenience but also in case of theft.

Same here, and I also add date of acquisition. Plus digital photos of everything, including pics of the serial numbers.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl

I third this.. as extra safety I keep my file on google docs so I can access anywhere and no worry if my home computer crashes.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I have an Excel spreadsheet that I created on one of my Uncle Sam's networks at work. It has:

1. Make / Model
    2. Serial Number
    3. Date of Purchase
    4. Where is was purchased from
    5. Purchase Price

The network is backed up every night - next to no risk of loss of data. I keep it in a shared folder which some of my very close friends have access to and they know it is there should something happen to me.

Periodically I print a copy off and bring it home and put it in a firebox which is inside a gun safe.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I have a password vault program called mSecure. In addition to being able to store login information, it can store custom forms with photos. All of my guns are saved in there with the kind of information others have mentioned. Another nice thing about it is that it uses DropBox to synch with my other devices, so it is backed up on my phone, my wife's phone, and my computers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I have an Excel spreadsheet that I created on one of my Uncle Sam's networks at work. It has:

1. Make / Model
    2. Serial Number
    3. Date of Purchase
    4. Where is was purchased from
    5. Purchase Price

The network is backed up every night - next to no risk of loss of data. I keep it in a shared folder which some of my very close friends have access to and they know it is there should something happen to me. Plus if you lose your job for some reason, it's better to have the data in your possession.

Periodically I print a copy off and bring it home and put it in a firebox which is inside a unsafe.

No offense but the Gov network prob has a higher probability of being hacked or losing data than a google document. I speek from experience as I have had my identity stolen 3 times since the OPM hack.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    No offense but the Gov network prob has a higher probability of being hacked or losing data than a google document. I speek from experience as I have had my identity stolen 3 times since the OPM hack.

Not this network :sad20:

I too have had my $hit compromised on the low side. I don't keep anything that I don't have to on there.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Like others I just have an excel sheet with the pertinent info. I also have pics and scanned capies of the invoices and other paperwork. in the past I made a copy to CDs and stored them at a buddies house just in case. Haven't updated that in a while though

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I used Mygun db as well. It does have a few known bus but it works. I bug I noticed is for NFA items you cannot attach a picture or pdf of your stamp to your NFA item. not a huge deal but worth noting.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I personally use an Access database.

Not a bad choice. Access is easy to use and very flexible. What are you doing for backups? I used to use an external hard drive, but now with cloud storage being so easy to synch with other devices, I just back my stuff up to the cloud and it synchs to my other devices, giving me virtual and physical backups.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Anyone tries this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gun/

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1252871_.html

page-1.png

Seems to be more geared towards ATF compliant FFL log vs ownership log.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'd buy a glock 1911 like in that pic and I'm not a 1911 guy.....as long as it's not the spectre

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Not a bad choice. Access is easy to use and very flexible. What are you doing for backups? I used to use an external hard drive, but now with cloud storage being so easy to synch with other devices, I just back my stuff up to the cloud and it synchs to my other devices, giving me virtual and physical backups.

I use a WD Passport Ultra. I won't use a cloud backup for my firearm inventory. Just my preference.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Does anyone use software to track your collection?
    yes the ATF and MSP...:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom