Does anyone use software to track your collection?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DigDug

Oct 21, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I use Gun Log SPC on my iPad and iPhone. Can sync between them and always have info at hand plus backup on computer.

Keeps track of firearms, ammo, accessories, and range sessions. Can also create a multitude of reports. Highly recommend it.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    I third this.. as extra safety I keep my file on google docs so I can access anywhere and no worry if my home computer crashes.
    Google is in bed with many TLAs, as revealed by Mr. Snowden. Data on google docs is not secure from prying eyes of bureaucrats. Not a big deal if you know that and are OK with it, but people should be aware of it and make an informed decision.

I personally use an Access database.
    For people who don't want to give Microsoft the money required for Access (and don't want to steal/pirate it), there is LibreOffice Base. Free as in speech and free as in beer. I build complicated Excel sheets and Word docs all day long at work and find LibreOffice to be very good for my personal needs.

I've been fooling with making my own db using Base. I'm still working on the best way to store pictures, either embedded in the db or in a directory. I may do both and give users a choice.

Anyone tried this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gun/
    Seems to be more geared towards ATF compliant FFL log vs ownership log.
    Hmm. Looks interesting. No updates since 2012, but under an open license so anybody can modify or improve and distribute a new version. I may be able to learn a few things for my own db.

I can understand that. My cloud data is 256 bit encrypted and double password protected. Good choice on the drive.
    If you lose the passwords can they be recovered or reset? If they can, then all the encryption and passwords in the world won't make it secure since the provider has access to your data.

Truly secure remote backup requires "Zero Knowledge", i.e. the encryption happens on the client side using a local key only, and only the encrypted data is sent to the remote servers ("cloud"). The key is never sent. So the backup service can't decrypt your data nor respond to any legal or illegal request for your data. Providers with zero knowledge include Spideroak, Tresorit, CrashPlan (if you choose local key option), and Arq Backup (ZK app on top of other cloud storage). Most popular backup services like google and dropbox do not offer zero knowledge.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Google is in bed with many TLAs, as revealed by Mr. Snowden. Data on google docs is not secure from prying eyes of bureaucrats. Not a big deal if you know that and are OK with it, but people should be aware of it and make an informed decision.

For people who don't want to give Microsoft the money required for Access (and don't want to steal/pirate it), there is LibreOffice Base. Free as in speech and free as in beer. I build complicated Excel sheets and Word docs all day long at work and find LibreOffice to be very good for my personal needs.

I've been fooling with making my own db using Base. I'm still working on the best way to store pictures, either embedded in the db or in a directory. I may do both and give users a choice.

Hmm. Looks interesting. No updates since 2012, but under an open license so anybody can modify or improve and distribute a new version. I may be able to learn a few things for my own db.

If you lose the passwords can they be recovered or reset? If they can, then all the encryption and passwords in the world won't make it secure since the provider has access to your data.

Truly secure remote backup requires "Zero Knowledge", i.e. the encryption happens on the client side using a local key only, and only the encrypted data is sent to the remote servers ("cloud"). The key is never sent. So the backup service can't decrypt your data nor respond to any legal or illegal request for your data. Providers with zero knowledge include Spideroak, Tresorit, CrashPlan (if you choose local key option), and Arq Backup (ZK app on top of other cloud storage). Most popular backup services like google and dropbox do not offer zero knowledge.

Very good questions. The passwords can't be recovered. Furthermore, I access my password vault with a biometric scanner. The encryption is done on my device and the file is sent encrypted. Plus, my vault is self destructing after 10 failed attempts, so brute force attacks won't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    Ok, the link you posted says windows only so I assumed I was SOL

did a search and found it thanks!

FYI the developer states it's supposed to run on a USB drive, but I have my program and database on a home server and it runs without any errors.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I like the looks of the Mygundb a lot but it wouldn't work on my Mac. With that said though, my Mac is from 2010 and is so old it can't even get updates from apple. I've been using Excel but the version I have isn't very user friendly.

Gives me a good excuse to go buy a new PC so I don't have to deal with the Mac anymore.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I used Mygun db as well. It does have a few known bus but it works. I bug I noticed is for NFA items you cannot attach a picture or pdf of your stamp to your NFA item. not a huge deal but worth noting.

Yes you can. I do it under the documentation tab.

Oh and I use it on a Mac from 2011 running Sierra. It does throw a couple HTML or HTTP errors, but you can click through them.
    I do think it has been abandoned as well. No updates in a LONG time.....

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i have tried repeatedly under the STATS tab to save the stamp. that's where there is a button for attaching your stamp

never worked

Attachments

• stamp.JPG
      stamp.JPG
      18.2 KB · Views: 192

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have some that work and some that dont. I think that is why I started adding them to the documentation page. I tried to add to a new one and it didn't work.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Here are a couple of free options that I put together. I won't get into a debate over other approaches being better or worse, but I will include what the BATFE says they want.

Attachments

• AAA_Bound_Book_Share_2013.pdf
      131.2 KB · Views: 75
    • ATF_CandR_Bound_Book_Format.pdf
      115.1 KB · Views: 89
    • AAA_Bound_Book_Share_no_entry_lines.xlsx
      24.3 KB · Views: 61

canonian

Jan 5, 2013
    Elkridge
    If so which software

Software? Keep it simple! Last thing you want is to depend on software to show a list of what might be stolen!

I took a photo of each side of the gun with my DSLR, however just about any decent P&S digital would do. You can zoom up to see the serial number easily and any identifying marks that prove it is yours in the event they file off the serial#. Drop the gun, get a scratch, update the photo. Drop a text file in the folder the same name as the photo with any relevant transaction data. Really simple!!! Anything that can view a photo and read a text file is all you need, which is any device, phone, tablet, computer, operating system does not matter!!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Same here, and I also add date of acquisition. Plus digital photos of everything, including pics of the serial numbers.

I use excel also, works great.

Just wondering how you have it organized to include photos? I use a row for each gun but obviously you have yours set up very differently than me.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I use excel also, works great.

Just wondering how you have it organized to include photos? I use a row for each gun but obviously you have yours set up very differently than me.

I just have a spreadsheet and then a folder for each firearm that includes the photos & paperwork scans. The pics aren't linked to the spreadsheet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom