What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    What are you using for case lube???

6f7dc63e9eae1c0508653d96b42b856b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    What did I do on my bench today? I produced something for a change! I am brand new to reloading.

I present to you my first 5 reloads. 9mm 115gr FMJ bullets, Hodgdon CFE Pistol 4.7gr, Winchester Small Pistol Primers, Cartridge overall length 1.100". It has taken me a month to get to the point of being able to produce actual cartridges that I can go shooting with. Lot's of learning, reading here, and logistics.

These all pass my 9mm case gauge correctly, easy in, easy out. I'd say the hardest thing to get adjusted was the seating and crimp die. Too much, too little, almost right, too much, too little, got it, ~-1.5 thousandths.

I've got a Dillon 550B press and RCBS carbide dies.

Attachments

• First5Reloads9mm.jpg
      First5Reloads9mm.jpg
      99 KB · Views: 374

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    Close
    30-06 got in with my 308
    It felt harder on the pull but not that much. Enough to look at it when I pulled it out to see what happened

"What in the world?"
    "Dad gum it!"
    "Wait, that's kinda cool"
    "Where's my camera?"

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    What did I do on my bench today? I produced something for a change! I am brand new to reloading.

I present to you my first 5 reloads. 9mm 115gr FMJ bullets, Hodgdon CFE Pistol 4.7gr, Winchester Small Pistol Primers, Cartridge overall length 1.100". It has taken me a month to get to the point of being able to produce actual cartridges that I can go shooting with. Lot's of learning, reading here, and logistics.

These all pass my 9mm case gauge correctly, easy in, easy out. I'd say the hardest thing to get adjusted was the seating and crimp die. Too much, too little, almost right, too much, too little, got it, ~-1.5 thousandths.

My first reloads were 9MM also. I went to the indoor range, loaded the handgun, pointed it safely downrange, and hid the rest of my body behind the lane divider while I pulled the trigger the first time. I was totally confident in my master reloading abilities, but after reading so many horror stories I was still a little nervous (OK, terrified).
    All went well and 6 years later I still have all my digits. Enjoy your new hobby.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Too much, too little, almost right, too much, too little, got it, ~-1.5 thousandths.

Congrats!

Unless you measure the COL from the bullet ogive don't try to get too precise. It's normal to see a few thousands +/- between rounds because of nose variations.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    My first reloads were 9MM also. I went to the indoor range, loaded the handgun, pointed it safely downrange, and hid the rest of my body behind the lane divider while I pulled the trigger the first time. I was totally confident in my master reloading abilities, but after reading so many horror stories I was still a little nervous (OK, terrified).
    All went well and 6 years later I still have all my digits. Enjoy your new hobby.

And that is why I only loaded 5 of them. :lol2:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Congrats! Welcome to a life long rewarding hobby!

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Congrats!

Unless you measure the COL from the bullet ogive don't try to get too precise. It's normal to see a few thousands +/- between rounds because of nose variations.

I did have one (not one of my 5 pictured) that did not go easy in, easy out, of my 9mm case gauge. So, I am still suspect of my crimp setting. But these 5 are good to go! They look normal. Feel normal, and measure good. Powder charge is what I wanted.

I had a lot of trial and error getting to this point. I even *gasp* mistakenly deprimed a live primer. I was trying to size it after pulling the bullet and forgot the sizer _also_ deprimed. *gasp* Lesson learned.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Old reloading "area" part of my work bench.
    afe5abeb716f70bf11b806aebaa3c5ec.jpg

Just put up shelving and will be building a new reloading only bench. Probably tomorrow.

82fdda26dd7bfac0c62e2370e77f6fb1.jpg

Still a work in process. I'll make sure I looks up to standards when it's all done.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Pow Pow,
    Did you sweat while charging it?
    My first round was 7.62x54r for my Mosin Sniper.
    I sweat more until i seated and crimped the bullet but not when I shot it in a plain Jane Mosin 91/30

Congrats

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Pow Pow,
    Did you sweat while charging it?
    My first round was 7.62x54r for my Mosin Sniper.
    I sweat more until i seated and crimped the bullet but not when I shot it in a plain Jane Mosin 91/30

Congrats

I was sweating before I pulled on the handle the first time. :lol2: But, I had pulled about 19 bullets from my trial and error over the last week. I like the Frankford Arsenal bullet puller. Even did a case with bullet and primer (no powder). That made me sweat. I had my safety goggles (and even ear plugs) on. I can't imagine doing that with powder in the case too. I would need to put on extra anti-antiperspirant. :o

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I was sweating before I pulled on the handle the first time. :lol2: But, I had pulled about 19 bullets from my trial and error over the last week. I like the Frankford Arsenal bullet puller. Even did a case with bullet and primer (no powder). That made me sweat. I had my safety goggles (and even ear plugs) on. I can't imagine doing that with powder in the case too. I would need to put on extra anti-antiperspirant. :o

And maybe some Depends. No sense in ruining a good pair of pants.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I did have one (not one of my 5 pictured) that did not go easy in, easy out, of my 9mm case gauge. So, I am still suspect of my crimp setting. But these 5 are good to go! They look normal. Feel normal, and measure good. Powder charge is what I wanted.

I had a lot of trial and error getting to this point. I even *gasp* mistakenly deprimed a live primer. I was trying to size it after pulling the bullet and forgot the sizer _also_ deprimed. *gasp* Lesson learned.

What I meant was, once you go into production mode and start seeing the overall case length change by a few thousands either way, don't try and adjust the length each time because it's like a dog chasing its tail. Try to adjust it so that most are the length that you want with an equal +/- variance. Premium FMJ's are pretty consistent but don't be alarmed to occasionally see a +/- .005 with the cheaper coated/plated bullets. This is because your bullet seater is pushing approximately on the ogive but you are measuring COL from the tip of the bullet unless you have the tools to measure from the ogive.

Taper crimping with no bullet cannelure is actually just removing any flare from the case mouth. Measure the small crimp area at the very tip top of the case and make it equal to or about .001 less than the case area occupied by the bullet. Going any further will start to distort the bullet and may bulge the case if set for extreme over crimping. Lead has zero springback but brass has a fair amount. You are basically depending on an interference fit between the bullet and case to hold the bullet in place unless there is a bullet cannelure to form the case into.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I built my own getting a kit with most of the parts from ultibots then modifying it. I agree that there is quite a learning curve but I have some previous career experience in the injection molding industry so I'm familiar with how temperamental plastic processing can be. Just like reloading, you try to change one parameter at a time and control the others. When you discover a process that works you run with it as long as possible.

Back to reloading. In addition to some compact trays, I'm also thinking if making a handle cover for my franklyn hand de-primer. The ridges on diecast one give me some nasty blisters even though my hands are pretty callused.

Looks like it's going to be a perfect reloading day after I cross off some house work from the list.

It sounds like I need to be picking YOUR brain. I have a Kossel Mini, that is my nemesis. My Folger FT-5 has been a bit of a pain, but is starting to put out some nice prints.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon

Awesome, now time to pump out 100s in a sit down. You will soon learn 9mm is very easy and COL doesn't have to be exactly every time. Have fun !!!

tdt91

Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Close
    30-06 got in with my 308
    It felt harder on the pull but not that much. Enough to look at it when I pulled it out to see what happened

Looks like you developed a new round, whats you going to call it?

tdt91

Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon

It won't be the first time you will deprime a live primer, sometimes to have to. I've done it a few times and even reused the primers, they worked fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom