What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Loaded 98 rounds of competition 5.56 w/Nosler 69g HPBT projectiles. I measured COAL and about 80% were 2.259"-2.260" Hopefully I'll get some practice time on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The slight difference may be due to the tip of the bullet and not your technique. Do you have a guage to measure from the bullet ogive to the case head? If so measure a few and see how those measurements compare. I use an older Forster seating die and changed the stem to one that follows the profile of the sleeker bullets.

The main thing is to make sure the bullets are seated deep enough so the tip doesn't hang up in your magazine.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Give it some time for you to get your handle motion technique to a point that it is consistent.

Since I was depressing the leaver until reaching a hard stop I didn't think there could be much error in my motion. I noticed that sometimes i found debris or a few powder grains on the holder which I suspected would raise the case slightly in the holder a few thousandths.

The slight difference may be due to the tip of the bullet and not your technique. Do you have a guage to measure from the bullet ogive to the case head? If so measure a few and see how those measurements compare. I use an older Forster seating die and changed the stem to one that follows the profile of the sleeker bullets.

The main thing is to make sure the bullets are seated deep enough so the tip doesn't hang up in your magazine.

This makes sense too. I only have a dial caliper so all of my measurements were from the head to tip of projectile. I am using an RCBS gold die which I believe is designed to always touch the bullet ogive at the same diameter.

I guess my question to both is this. If the seating depth is controlled by the die's position on the ogive and that distance is consistent within .002" does CAOL have any meaningful impact on accuracy?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I read an article in Handloader about accuracy and they were talking about bullet runout. I think my take away from that was that if you really care about accuracy, bullet runout is also something to look at. Several companies make tools to measure it, and Hornady's concentricity tool does that and also can correct (even on factory ammo). I think the Hornady tool is reasonably priced ($109 @ Midway) for what it does.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Finally getting some time to move my reloading stuff to a dedicated work bench.

848610142d52b6a36c9b8a4d19ca6b33.jpg

And in the background my little home cnc experiment is slowly cutting away the test pocket for my 80% lower.

a331b9bf78be85b360aa8b621b18ada8.jpg

Getting more accomplished at home than work today.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    700 rnds 9mm 124 gr. xtreme HP 5.5 gr. CFE Pistol @ 1.140 OAL CCI 550 Yesterday, 1003 rnds RN last week. My emotional support pet load.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Finally bought one of those bullet pullers so I could fix the screw ups I've been saving. Only loaded a few.45 flat nose rounds. I'm really liking the new Lee Turret Press.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Lyman kinetic from Bass Pro. Probably paid too much but wanted it today.

I've got both and I find myself using the kenetic more than the RCBS, I have a hard time for some reason using the RCBS. Either the collets seem to slip or I over tighten and deform the bullet.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Just ordered a Hornady single stage to compliment my progressive and old Pacific single. I plan on doing 30-06, 303 and 54R with it. I do have the plates for the progressive to do them but I feel like I have more control doing those on a single.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I finally bolted the presses down after going through the major remodel of our house, which included building a workshop under the new screened porch. I managed to get 300 round of .45 acp done tonight. I say "managed" because it was tough. After almost 2 years, it felt really awkward to be reloading again and during the second hundred rounds, I started to have problems with the primer feed. I struggled to get that batch done, disassembled the primer mechanism and gave it a thorough cleaning, then put it back together and adjusted it. Finally on the third hundred it began to feel more smooth and natural.

JoeR

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I finally bolted the presses down after going through the major remodel of our house, which included building a workshop under the new screened porch. I managed to get 300 round of .45 acp done tonight. I say "managed" because it was tough. After almost 2 years, it felt really awkward to be reloading again and during the second hundred rounds, I started to have problems with the primer feed. I struggled to get that batch done, disassembled the primer mechanism and gave it a thorough cleaning, then put it back together and adjusted it. Finally on the third hundred it began to feel more smooth and natural.

JoeR

I took a break from it for I think three years as SB 281 beat me down after the hard struggle. Anyway I too ended up taking the primer feed apart, making adjustments and cleaning and it works much better now. Biggest issues I have now are cases that I have removed the primer crimp from. They are still more difficult than others.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Before I pulled my first live cartridge, I ran across this as well as other cautions elsewhere. The apparent cause was use of a shell holder versus the holder that came with it.

https://www.shootersforum.com/warning-notices-recalls/50347-inertial-bullet-puller-warning.html

From the pictures it looks like something else hit that primer, I'm trying with mine to see just how the shell holder could have touched off that primer without something else coming in contact with it. Definately something to keep an eye on.:thumbsup:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The post in the link , well It makes sense. The shell holder is slotted. If it shifts enough in the slot to get outside the hole and the primer is seated high, bam
    Very often 2 or more mistakes cause a catastrophe. In this case 3: Equipment mod + High Primer + sliding case = boom
    No equipment mod and the other 2 are moot.
    You could eliminate the slide by making an insert.
    I have not had issues however with it as designed.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I've got both and I find myself using the kenetic more than the RCBS, I have a hard time for some reason using the RCBS. Either the collets seem to slip or I over tighten and deform the bullet.

I have both.

For a few rounds, I use the kinetic. But if you have pull a LOT of rounds, the collet is MUCH faster. Don't ask how I know. :)

You have to play with it, but once you get the feel, you can pull them with marks, but not really any deformation.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, most of my shell holders have a slight groove where a high primer would slide in.

That must have been a VERY high primer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom