• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    Highwild Adjustable Target Stand Base for Paper Shooting Targets Cardboard Silhouette - H Shape - USPSA/IPSC - IDPA Practice - Upgraded Version (1 Pack) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07V7W65TC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ww8sFbE78FF3D

This looks like it will work with the standard wood AGC stands that they sell, I would just want stakes to keep the base from blowing over. Will the giant binder clips work to replace the cardboard down the line or do I need a staple gun?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Get a 10' section of 1.5" PVC and (2) 1.5" PVC T fittings. Add a hacksaw and 5 minutes of your time and you'll have a good stand for <$10.

This.
    And you’re better off with a staple gun, I just keep one in my range bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide

Attachments

• 2AF37631-4372-43B0-A4E5-2576FF11B342.jpeg
      2AF37631-4372-43B0-A4E5-2576FF11B342.jpeg
      14.5 KB · Views: 688

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I made my own from pvc and use sandbags to keep it from toppling or blown over.

I made a rectangle of the base using four 90 degree angle pieces and two tees for the stand holders.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I made a rectangle of the base using four 90 degree angle pieces and two tees for the stand holders.

I made the U shaped base with a cross piece in the middle. On the ends of the U, I used threaded female adapters with screw in plugs. On one side I keep three 1/2” x 6” carriage bolts to use as stakes to hold the frame on windy days. On the other side I put a few shims in there for use with locking the wood frame in place.
    Works great and it’s all self contained

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    AGC target stands fit 1.5" pvc?

For those that used 1.5" pvc, did you find the AGC target stands are snug and need to shave the corners of the posts that slip into the pvc?

Thanks.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Furring strips for the frame worked better for me. PVC pipes are magnets for stray bullets. One shot will shatter the pipe. Ask me how I know.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    PVC pipes are magnets for stray bullets. One shot will shatter the pipe. Ask me how I know.

At the AGC TCA shoots we used to suspend jugs from goalposts made from PVC pipe. The posts usually didn't even last through one TCA event, so we don't use those any more.

kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    Sure.... What I meant is I'm using the AGC wood target frame. But I want to make a base for it, especially for use on the pistol range. So just the base will be pvc. The AGC wood target frame would slip into the pvc base.

Well, I bought the 1.5" pvc, I suspect the 1x2 (if that's the size) would flop foward/backward in 2" pvc. But the 1x2 is a little snug inside the 1.5" pvc, so I'll just sand a little off the edges of the wood so it easily slips inside the pvc.

Thanks for warnings.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Sure.... What I meant is I'm using the AGC wood target frame. But I want to make a base for it, especially for use on the pistol range. So just the base will be pvc. The AGC wood target frame would slip into the pvc base.

Well, I bought the 1.5" pvc, I suspect the 1x2 (if that's the size) would flop foward/backward in 2" pvc. But the 1x2 is a little snug inside the 1.5" pvc, so I'll just sand a little off the edges of the wood so it easily slips inside the pvc.

Thanks for warnings.

I made mine with 2” and spaced the Ts that hold the stand such that the wood fits snugly on the inside edges (once I added some short vertical lengths to hold the wood). This size and weight is also very stable, wind has not been an issue at all.

Attachments

• 8EB048D2-6113-4CE2-83A6-66BFF3C31882.jpeg
      8EB048D2-6113-4CE2-83A6-66BFF3C31882.jpeg
      52.2 KB · Views: 366

kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    Looks great! Thanks for the pic and details. Helps a lot. Looks stable.

Now I need to decide do I go with the 1.5" or take the 1.5" back and go with 2".... At least I don't have much of anything going on today....

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

I learned about the wind last Wednesday. Thought there was minimal wind (i thought) when I got to the AGC's pistol range. Set up my target in someone's abandoned PVC base and walked back to the firing line. Line went hot and my target then blew right over... so I had a nice break sitting on the bench watching everyone else shoot for the next half hour. :rolleyes:

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013

Thanks for warnings.

I made mine with 2” and spaced the Ts that hold the stand such that the wood fits snugly on the inside edges (once I added some short vertical lengths to hold the wood). This size and weight is also very stable, wind has not been an issue at all.

I made mine into a loop and packed leftover grout into the end tubes. Let it set and the extra weight helps keep the frame upright during windy days.

Taco

Jan 23, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I built stands before but always fought the wind unless they were 2x4 bases that take up space, and weight.
    I've been using these for years and love them.
    Yes they cost more but I have had some of them for 10 years now. They don't blow over, or take up much space.

https://www.targetbarn.com/18-push-in-steel-target-stand-single-target-black.php

Thanks for sharing this link. I'm in the process of building another pvc base, but this looks much easier, stable, portable, and not that expensive. I'm definitely going to try this one out instead. So much for buying more pvc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom