For Highpower Matches, a Complete upper, Recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    LOL, all’s they have to do is do what I did and go back to open irons for a year, hee hee, all of a sudden mirage smirage! :-)

Oh yes Ted, you are right; this is the same bloke who sold EVERYthing imaginable in the way of like new (or NIB) guns, ammo, optics, audio eqpt, camera gear and power tools all at exactly 1/2 price.

I literally asked him, “Hey man, you aren’t planning to commit suicide are you?” (He wasn’t prior pub safety or .mil but, I had to ask anyway). That was over a year ago and he obviously was telling the truth, he needed the space (for what that is more important than guns and ammo I canNOT imagine!). I snagged one of the 2 ACOG’s he had (a red cross hairs) but, left the red chevron ACOG and this Leupold on the table. Never imagined he’d still have em all this time later but, so be it!

I’m probably going to drop it on my DPMS GII MOE as I mounted a Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10 on it and that scope is so big compared to the lil’ 7.62 all the other guys are ribbing me constantly. (And anyone knows me knows my feeling bruise easy! :lol2:

(No, I wasn’t using the Milwaukee driver to right in photo to mount anything :smack: but, Pic was taken prior to centering the turret between the rings and, now that’s the scope is on that poor lil’ 7.62, well, I guess I see everyone’s point ... question now is, wth am I gonna put that big *ss 3.5-10 on? SEE KIDS, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS when you try to put a rifle together WITHOUT checking your ideas, out loud, on MDS first!!! :facepalm:

Attachments

• BDA9EE39-A6F5-4B4F-8939-A7DA71F5CADE.jpg
      BDA9EE39-A6F5-4B4F-8939-A7DA71F5CADE.jpg
      113.2 KB · Views: 312

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    My most accurate rifle is a Precision Firearms upper with a Lilja 22.5" ss barrel, 1:8 twist chambered in .223wylde. .5 moa all day long with 77gr SMK and if I really try, it can do better.

Poor guy! You probably have not seen what a really accurate rifle is capable of for a while, since I have not seen you. :D

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    White Oak and compass lake both earned me EIC points. Krieger or Wilson barrel will serve you well. I think I legged out with a Krieger. I still use my AR mod scope and have no complaints. 488-17 x my top score, handful of 485's and come to expect 480 plus.

If your having a hard time finding Krieger or Wilson, those shilen ratchets hammer too.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    White Oak is showing Krieger and their WOA service rifle barrels in stock. Be advised that Bartlein is increasing prices effective January 1.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    First off, I’d like to again thank everyone who has contributed to this thread ...

Update: I spoke with White Oak today and placed my order for a Krieger 1:7 with the Geiselle forend (turns out THOSE have been on backorder from Geiselle for months and I was told they literally just arrived this morning so, I am looking at 6 weeks). I went ahead and dropped dime on their scope - I got a chance to play with one at the match I shot in first of this month and was impressed enough so ... (besides, all in I’m at way, way less than even 10% what I’ve spent in the last 2-3 weeks buying - “investing in” really - anything on my bucket list that will possibly be banned / restricted AND 20-30 standard cap. mags to go with each!)

Here’s my question: what would be the best bang for the buck scope mount and 30mm rings to mount the White Oak Armament scope to my upper, when I receive them both?

At $300 the NightForce mount and rings John shows on the WOA website strikes me as high ... UNLESS someone here can attest the stated ability of the entire mount and rings to “stay attached” to the scope and allow the scope to be swapped from gun to gun is really worth it ....

Thanks again for the thread info thus far and thanks in advance for any input on that $300 mount and rings ... (yowza!)

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    First off, I’d like to again thank everyone who has contributed to this thread ...

Update: I spoke with White Oak today and placed my order for a Krieger 1:7 with the Geiselle forend (turns out THOSE have been on backorder from Geiselle for months and I was told they literally just arrived this morning so, I am looking at 6 weeks). I went ahead and dropped dime on their scope - I got a chance to play with one at the match I shot in first of this month and was impressed enough so ... (besides, all in I’m at way, way less than even 10% what I’ve spent in the last 2-3 weeks buying - “investing in” really - anything on my bucket list that will possibly be banned / restricted AND 20-30 standard cap. mags to go with each!)

Here’s my question: what would be the best bang for the buck scope mount and 30mm rings to mount the White Oak Armament scope to my upper, when I receive them both?

At $300 the NightForce mount and rings John shows on the WOA website strikes me as high ... UNLESS someone here can attest the stated ability of the entire mount and rings to “stay attached” to the scope and allow the scope to be swapped from gun to gun is really worth it ....

Thanks again for the thread info thus far and thanks in advance for any input on that $300 mount and rings ... (yowza!)

Can't say much from personal experience with two of these mounts but bobro, seekins and Larue are always brought up. My Larue mounts are all rock solid awesome. I don't own any of the other two though.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Have the Geissele mount on one of my service rifles. Expensive but it works, even with the magpul gen 1 buttstock. There is something to be said for buying the extended rail and a separate set of rings though. Less expensive and can be used on multiple platforms. The Geissele is too low to work with their adjustable match rifle butt stock where you can use the extended rail and rings. Height is the main issue. For my match rifle I used the extended rail and medium height rings. Another thing I found is that the Geissele will not fit the rail on my Tubb 2000, the indexing bumps will not fit in between the rail slots without modification. If you ever intend to use your mount and/or rings on a different platform, the extended rail and a separate set of rings is the way to go. Nothing about this sport is cheap.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Well, howwwdee all!

I just wanted to circle back as I always try to (and appreciate when other thread starters also) “report back” when I ask for help / guidance and by golly I gotta say a big THANK YOU to y’all again!

Today was my first match shooting the White Oak PRECISION SERVICE RIFLE UPPER (KRIEGER) upper with their (White Oak) DISTINGUISHED RIFLEMAN SERVICE RIFLE SCOPE https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/white-oak-distinguished-rifleman-scope.html and the combo is schtoopid accurate and I almost feel guilty as the quality of both the upper and optic far exceed my abilities, at present.

(Everyone’s heard the saying, “It’s the Indian and not the arrow” well, this upper and optic are the kind of a quality arrow that could turn that saying around, in the right injun’s hands anyway! :lol2: )

I am probably not doing the rifle justice by trying to simultaneously enjoy clay target shooting as well as action pistol and 3-gun all full time in addition to only once-a-monthly highpower matches but, well, at least I know every shot is on me with no questions about that barrel, for the rest of my natural life!

I did make a decision today and that is this upper and optic are so good I am going to focus the majority of my practice sessions on the 600 yard target, reduced for 300 yards (which is the max my home club has).

Thank y’all again, I’d been away from highpower for so long I truly woulda been (would still be) lost without y’all’s help! :party29:

Have a safe and meaningful Labor Day! :patriot:

ETA: oops, Scope mount is a Leupold and trigger is a LaRue MBT-2S flat bow (that is a consistent 4.5 or more on a Lyman Digital Trigger Pull Scale) in a PSA blem lower with a Magpul PRS Gen3 Adj Comb Stock.

Attachments

• F19490BB-6E4D-4C90-9F7C-F4F9AB5D47A4.jpeg
      F19490BB-6E4D-4C90-9F7C-F4F9AB5D47A4.jpeg
      11.8 KB · Views: 94

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Service rifle rules limit the magnification to a max of 4.5x so that scope wouldn't be permitted under the SR rules. Some branches of the military are going to a bit higher magnification so the rule may change at some point but it's anyone's guess as to when.

Don't they all you set a variable to 4.5x and tape it?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Don't they all you set a variable to 4.5x and tape it?

Not under the current rules. There is some discussion about raising the magnification limit to 6X or possibly 8X since the Marine Corps is going that route with their actual service rifles but the CMP has nixed that. Too bad because there are already good optics on the market that are proven reliable and cost far less than the few top end scopes such as March, Nightforce, etc.. I recently dropped almost $2,000 on a Nightforce SR2, Add the cost of a Geissele mount and it adds up to double what a top end service rifle costs, even if you build it yourself. I have a 6X hunter benchrest scope that cost less than $500 new and is every bit as good as any of the scopes costing 4 times as much.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Well, howwwdee all!

I just wanted to circle back as I always try to (and appreciate when other thread starters also) “report back” when I ask for help / guidance and by golly I gotta say a big THANK YOU to y’all again!

Today was my first match shooting the White Oak PRECISION SERVICE RIFLE UPPER (KRIEGER) upper with their (White Oak) DISTINGUISHED RIFLEMAN SERVICE RIFLE SCOPE https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/white-oak-distinguished-rifleman-scope.html and the combo is schtoopid accurate and I almost feel guilty as the quality of both the upper and optic far exceed my abilities, at present.

(Everyone’s heard the saying, “It’s the Indian and not the arrow” well, this upper and optic are the kind of a quality arrow that could turn that saying around, in the right injun’s hands anyway! :lol2: )

I am probably not doing the rifle justice by trying to simultaneously enjoy clay target shooting as well as action pistol and 3-gun all full time in addition to only once-a-monthly highpower matches but, well, at least I know every shot is on me with no questions about that barrel, for the rest of my natural life!

I did make a decision today and that is this upper and optic are so good I am going to focus the majority of my practice sessions on the 600 yard target, reduced for 300 yards (which is the max my home club has).

Thank y’all again, I’d been away from highpower for so long I truly woulda been (would still be) lost without y’all’s help! :party29:

Have a safe and meaningful Labor Day! :patriot:

ETA: oops, Scope mount is a Leupold and trigger is a LaRue MBT-2S flat bow (that is a consistent 4.5 or more on a Lyman Digital Trigger Pull Scale) in a PSA blem lower with a Magpul PRS Gen3 Adj Comb Stock.

So, you are shooting in match rifle class with a service rifle upper? Not that it can't be done but, there are definitely some trade offs.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Indeed. But, my only competition is, well, ME!

This is very true! Goal is to always shoot 1 point better than the last relay.

Yesterday Amanda ellenboss was shooting match rifle, not that I'm a sling shooting expert but she walked me through the differences, id never heard of it.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I thought it was being allowed. Maybe in the early days, as not many 4.5x optics around.

Good optics cost money. How good can you afford? :D

As far as I know, 4.5X has been the limit ever since they started allowing optics. There still are only a few dedicated 4.5X optics on the market. We are probably fortunate that those are even available. The majority of people buying optics are those who do not shoot highpower. Not very profitable for companies to make small quantities of an optic that has only limited demand and uses.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    This is very true! Goal is to always shoot 1 point better than the last relay.

Yesterday Amanda ellenboss was shooting match rifle, not that I'm a sling shooting expert but she walked me through the differences, id never heard of it.

Amanda Elsenboss. I believe she is the only shooter to win the national championships using a service rifle all the way through.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Amanda Elsenboss. I believe she is the only shooter to win the national championships using a service rifle all the way through.

:bowdown:

On a somewhat (gender) related note there is a 17yoa “Haley” (or Hailie?) who shoots with the Polk County (NC) Junior Rifle Team and who occasions our range in Hickory who I understand set 3 National records at Camp Perry this year.

She came to my attention back in March or April of this year when I was in the pits and watched a 200 yard target cleaned standing as well as sitting. All the adults / parents in the pits with us were cracking up at my reaction (“WTH is this shooter?”) and telling me, “Wait’ll we switch relays and you see for yourself who is doing that to the center of that target!

Her long ponytail looked like it weighed more than she does. Dayummmmm! :party29:

ETA: here it is, she really is something! https://thecmp.org/junior-haley-robinson-claims-three-new-records-at-2021-national-rifle-matches/

Attachments

• B4959ADC-21DD-496D-98AB-B55CBDF4D3B4.jpg
      B4959ADC-21DD-496D-98AB-B55CBDF4D3B4.jpg
      83.7 KB · Views: 62
    • 26CD2DEF-8AFD-44AD-846C-2D5BCA42C7A2.jpg
      26CD2DEF-8AFD-44AD-846C-2D5BCA42C7A2.jpg
      48 KB · Views: 64
    • B4AFFA5C-9663-4302-B547-66EFE51FBDB2.jpg
      B4AFFA5C-9663-4302-B547-66EFE51FBDB2.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 56

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I thought it was being allowed. Maybe in the early days, as not many 4.5x optics around.

Good optics cost money. How good can you afford? :D

The CMP rimfire sporter let's you tape you scope.

I'm currently testing a hi-lux, I mean hi-sux.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom