• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Additional thoughts...

A couple of things to add for anyone that is going to try this. First, the power supply is going to be the most expensive part of the system unless you already have one like I did. I didn't realize how much those things cost now. The one I have is about $100.00. Also the cameras have gone up in price a little. They are more like $25 rather than $20. Another thing I would suggest is trying the setup to see if it works at the range before you add the external antenna. You may not need it with the cam 3 version. The cam 2 is good to about 100 yds without the external antenna from what I've seen. The cam 3 doesn't need the external housing either as it is weather proof on it's own. For that matter, the cam 2 doesn't really need the outdoor housing either unless you're going to use it in the rain. This setup has been a great solution for me and my old eyes.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Thought I'd update this thread....

I've been using the camera for almost two years now. It has really been great but there have been some issues getting it to connect. From what I understand, Wyze claims that it is designed to be used on a stable Wi-Fi rather than a hot spot on a cell phone. I was having a problem getting it to connect the other day and like a dumbass I deleted the app with the intention of reinstalling in and redoing the connection. Now I can't remember exactly how I set it up and Wyze is telling me it can't be done even though I've been using it for the last two years! They even walked me through the installation two years ago. Now no one at Wyze support knows how to do it or won't be bothered to figure it out. I haven't completely given up but I'm not sure what my next move will be. If I get it figured out I'll update this thread. BTW, it was working fine out to 300 yards after I installed the external antenna.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thought I'd update this thread....

I've been using the camera for almost two years now. It has really been great but there have been some issues getting it to connect. From what I understand, Wyze claims that it is designed to be used on a stable Wi-Fi rather than a hot spot on a cell phone. I was having a problem getting it to connect the other day and like a dumbass I deleted the app with the intention of reinstalling in and redoing the connection. Now I can't remember exactly how I set it up and Wyze is telling me it can't be done even though I've been using it for the last two years! They even walked me through the installation two years ago. Now no one at Wyze support knows how to do it or won't be bothered to figure it out. I haven't completely given up but I'm not sure what my next move will be. If I get it figured out I'll update this thread. BTW, it was working fine out to 300 yards after I installed the external antenna.

I didn’t see your original post back in 2021 or I would have contributed. Nice job btw.

I built one a while ago and have successfully tested at the the range to 600yds and on on the roadside near my work at 1000yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom