• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I say for iWatch lovers because the tech renders the battery good for only 50 hours at highest setting/constant use. This is not a deal breaker for me; I’m used to my Flir Zeus gobbling batteries in 3 hours or less during cold weather.

Back to tech, it has a HUD type display on a large EoTech format screen. Some is “tacticool” like a compass. Some much more useful: cant indicator (very useful on something like a Tavor), ability to swap reticle a through a Bluetooth app, ability to save profiles to the app for different zeros (either different platforms or 300 super v 300 sub), ability to zero automatically by shooting a group taking a picture with the app and the app automatically give you perfect zero based upon mean POI. Also includes a shot counter that lets you track either total rounds fired or counts down rounds remaining. That last feature is perhaps the most video games aesthetic.

Only real downside for me is the limit of only 1 year on warranty - but again, my Flir has trained me to deal with short warranties.

Despite the warranty/battery concerns I opted to pick one up and should have in hand from midway later this week. The other option was a Sig Romeo 8T (which I’ll probably pick up for one of my PCC’s). I almost pulled the trigger on another EoTech, and was seriously considering an Aimpoint - but I don’t like the single dot setup.

I’m kind of excited to try out the tech. I didn’t even know they existed; Mepro has a way of staying under the radar (only found because I got to thinking it’d be cool to have an Israeli optic on an Israeli rifle).

Anyone tried these before? I will update this thread with a range report when I get it and have a chance to get it out...

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Follow up - this thing is cool. Zeroing works as advertised and is simple, fast and CHEAP in today’s ammunition market. Hour at the range and still showing 100% battery. Reticle choice is awesome, and looks especially nice under a magnifier for precision work. We will see about longevity with the paltry warranty and how battery life goes after many charge cycles...

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    While you're waiting for your sights to boot up and show your compass heading, the other side would have tapped you multiple times with their old school irons. And the Bluetooth is still waiting to connect.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    While you're waiting for your sights to boot up and show your compass heading, the other side would have tapped you multiple times with their old school irons. And the Bluetooth is still waiting to connect.
    War never changes. Neither do 13'ers.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    This is the first i've heard of this. Definitely looks cool. Although FFS people... please learn how to zero your own sh**.

I could make a full time job out of helping my friends zero their red dots/scopes.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville

It jumps up to the reticle in about 3 seconds from a full power down. That is not much slower than my EOTechs (which I absolutely love and still prefer for a SHTF setup). I don't think this is ready for primetime yet on a "two way range" - but that is in large part due to the fact that this optic is still quite new to me and I have concerns about longevity/durability when we're putting in more than a battery and components that have been around for many decades.

Bluetooth is only for the zeroing software (and you can still zero the old fashioned way). Everything else, including compass and shot counter, is internal to the optic. And like I said, glitch free and works well. Time will tell, but if someone likes red dots and wants to try something "different" with some bells and & whistles, this a pretty cool.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    This is the first i've heard of this. Definitely looks cool. Although FFS people... please learn how to zero your own sh**.

I could make a full time job out of helping my friends zero their red dots/scopes.

Amen! The zeroing is a neat bonus from my perspective, as I don't find particularly red dots to be overly difficult to zero in any fashion - but for focus that need a couple full mags to move from "on paper" to zeroed, in today's ammo market, this thing could pay for itself quick.

Oh, and it will save multiple profiles - so you can zero it on the same rifle for say subs and super, or use the QD to move it from a rifle to PCC.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Amen! The zeroing is a neat bonus from my perspective, as I don't find particularly red dots to be overly difficult to zero in any fashion - but for focus that need a couple full mags to move from "on paper" to zeroed, in today's ammo market, this thing could pay for itself quick.

Oh, and it will save multiple profiles - so you can zero it on the same rifle for say subs and super, or use the QD to move it from a rifle to PCC.
    How easy it to transition zeros, and what is the minimum adjustment? (like, some optics are 1/2 MOA per click)

Can you design your own reticles?

I could see getting one of these for a 300AAC rifle once I get the cycling issues with subs sorted out.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    How easy it to transition zeros, and what is the minimum adjustment? (like, some optics are 1/2 MOA per click)

I could see getting one of these for a 300AAC rifle once I get the cycling issues with subs sorted out.

My memory sucks. Do you have a thread on that?

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville

Switching zeros is super simple - these are stored in the app and transferred via bluetooth (so connection to smart phone is required to swap between them, but it is a few second process to open the app which is not cluttered up, and literally two seconds to load the profile). There is a menu of 20 (currently) reticles to choose from and 5 (of your selection) are kept onboard to flip between without bluetooth connection - but alas, I am not aware of ability to design/upload your own reticle. It is a pretty diverse selection but, as it is 1 MOA adjustments the reticles are largely in keeping with short to mid-range functionality. I have it on an X95, which is 2-3 MOA anyway, but I would probably want finer adjustments if I had it mounted on something with more inherent accuracy.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My memory sucks. Do you have a thread on that?
    No. Pretty sure it was a gas block related thing, given that even supers were having issues. I swapped it to an SGB and need to retest. The 240gr subs themselves weren't stabilizing, so that was a bit of a confounding factor... just the usual new upper build bugs to work out.

oberyn

Apr 19, 2021
    OK now that's the future. Use your phone for processing power and drop a rangefinder on there so it can autocalculate to sync up your zero with data you've already given it for drop?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    OK now that's the future. Use your phone for processing power and drop a rangefinder on there so it can autocalculate to sync up your zero with data you've already given it for drop?
    You've basically described the Sig BDX system... just no rifle-mounted LRF (yet?).

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Had my oldest down to my property to shoot a few days ago, and his response to this optic reminded me an update would be in order now that we are almost 2 years in. My teenager, who shoots south paw, decided my x95 was his new favorite - despite being unusable left-handed without reconfiguring (which I didn't do, so he had to shoot right-handed) - because the HUD style reticle was the coolest thing ever. Yes, yes he does play too many videogames!

Any way, darn near two years on, and this optic is still bundles of fun. My Tav sat in my safe for 9 months, didn't pull this sight out to charge, and it was still at 100% when I booted it up. If I am honest, that was one of my largest concerns (that the battery would hold if left in the safe), but one I wasn't willing to intentionally test by leaving making my Tav a safe queen. Low and behold, fate intervened that it got benched naturally for a spell (shocking since it was 9.5 months ago I dropped the Geissele super sabre pack and bow in and then didn't take it out - by the way, if you have a Tav, that is a worthwhile upgrade!).

Everything else checked out, zero was still good, and I intentionally removed and reinstalled specifically to check if it would then as well, and still good to go... bluetooth still functioned when I checked it when putting it away. My only reservation, if I had to provide one, would be the limited battery life of 50 hours use time ("minimum" - I haven't tried it out to see if it is actually more than that). But if I'm honest, who cares? I'm a[n slightly] over the hill desk jockey that needs to lose weight, there is not going to be any giant ice abode in my lifetime to worry about, and the average citizen/SD shooting is over in seconds. So, as long as you aren't Chuck Norris, and don't expect to be deployed behind enemy lines, I can wholeheartedly recommend this as a good short to medium range optic. And, if zeroing is a PITA for you, you are in for an extra treat as discussed before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom