• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Is that a tanning bed next to the scoped rifle?

d4f326c0de40211e654ba3c0de33c988l-m1528806810od-w1024_h768_x2.webp

That or Spocks coffin.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

A couple of things:
    - its on a 'numbered' road with county maintenance
    - already has a power pole
    - doesn't mention a well
    - the outhouse conveys, that's nice
    - mentions 'previously perc'd for a 3 bdrm'. Make sure there was no change in rules for that county. This is a creek bottom (gravel) but there can be setbacks from the 'crik'.
    - gargling creek in the backyard is nice, but it brings some challenges:

Attachments

• flood_map.jpg
      flood_map.jpg
      66.9 KB · Views: 397
    Last edited:

Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    We bought outside Moorefield. It has the basics: a Walmart, Tractor Supply, drug store, some restaurants, etc. hardly a “city,” but it has everything you need for basic life support and creature comforts. Nice river access, too, if you like paddling and fishing.

It’s about 45 minutes to an hour from Winchester if you need something you can’t find locally.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Needs to accommodate a 65 ft wide house. Maybe an acre or 2. Depends on the HOA. Thanks for the reply.

Okay, Jefferson County and Berkley County are going to be your two closest to Frederick. That said, they're also the most populated in the eastern Panhandle and as such, costs are a little higher for land there.

Jefferson County has Charlestown, Shepherdstown, and Harpers Ferry as the major towns. It was mostly farmland until the past decade or so when folks from the DC commuter crowd realized you could live there and take the train in, use the wifi on the train to start working during your commute, and only spend 4-5 hours at your desk in DC before heading back out and using wifi to work for the entire way home. Now, it's being gobbled up by developers like Ryan Homes much the way Frederick County is experiencing right now. That's not to say you can't still find a good plot of land with a couple of acres. The farther south you go, towards the VA line near Winchester, the more land and less development there seems to be.

A little farther out is Berkeley County where Martinsburg is located. Martinsburg is booming right now. You have the same DC-commuter bedroom community building going on BUT you have the added job and income growth thanks to Proctor and Gamble building a massive new plant in Martinsburg, the proposed Rockwool plant, and Folks working for the Amazon property across the line in Hagerstown taking their "DC Metro Area" earnings back to WV to keep Annapolis from getting their hands on it. Pros to Berkely County? A lot more amenities, better schools if that makes a difference, Easy access to I-81, Easy and close proximity to Hagerstown to the North, and Winchester, VA to the south. Once you get west of North Mountain and into the Back Creek Valley, things get a lot less developed and a bit cheaper. On the far western edge of Berkeley County is Sleepy Creek and The Sleepy Creek WMA.

Both of these will put you within a half-hour to 45 min of Frederick depending on exactly how far out you go.

One caveat about Jefferson County is that the fastest route to Frederick for most of the year is clogged with traffic all summer long. That's US 340 through Harpers Ferry. WV has it wide open as a 4 lane road until you hit the downhill grade to the bridge across the Shenandoah. Then it's 2 lanes through the little sliver of WV on the east side of the 'doah through the mile or so that belongs to VA, and across the bridge to MD where it opens back up to 4 lanes all the way to Frederick. VA refuses to do anything about the road on their side of things because nobody really uses it for anything to do with VA. So they don't care that it causes a hellatious backup in both directions all summer long each year.

Now, if you're willing to go a little farther out. Hampshire county starts about an hour out from Frederick (Places like Paw Paw and Rock Gap) and keeps going to about 2 hours out when you hit Romney. Lots of unspoiled country in this area with a lot more laid-back feel. Too far from DC for anyone to commute, so they haven't started developing there. A heck of a lot cheaper too.

Hope that helps!

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Okay, Jefferson County and Berkley County are going to be your two closest to Frederick. That said, they're also the most populated in the eastern Panhandle and as such, costs are a little higher for land there.

Jefferson County has Charlestown, Shepherdstown, and Harpers Ferry as the major towns. It was mostly farmland until the past decade or so when folks from the DC commuter crowd realized you could live there and take the train in, use the wifi on the train to start working during your commute, and only spend 4-5 hours at your desk in DC before heading back out and using wifi to work for the entire way home. Now, it's being gobbled up by developers like Ryan Homes much the way Frederick County is experiencing right now. That's not to say you can't still find a good plot of land with a couple of acres. The farther south you go, towards the VA line near Winchester, the more land and less development there seems to be.

A little farther out is Berkeley County where Martinsburg is located. Martinsburg is booming right now. You have the same DC-commuter bedroom community building going on BUT you have the added job and income growth thanks to Proctor and Gamble building a massive new plant in Martinsburg, the proposed Rockwool plant, and Folks working for the Amazon property across the line in Hagerstown taking their "DC Metro Area" earnings back to WV to keep Annapolis from getting their hands on it. Pros to Berkely County? A lot more amenities, better schools if that makes a difference, Easy access to I-81, Easy and close proximity to Hagerstown to the North, and Winchester, VA to the south. Once you get west of North Mountain and into the Back Creek Valley, things get a lot less developed and a bit cheaper. On the far western edge of Berkeley County is Sleepy Creek and The Sleepy Creek WMA.

Both of these will put you within a half-hour to 45 min of Frederick depending on exactly how far out you go.

One caveat about Jefferson County is that the fastest route to Frederick for most of the year is clogged with traffic all summer long. That's US 340 through Harpers Ferry. WV has it wide open as a 4 lane road until you hit the downhill grade to the bridge across the Shenandoah. Then it's 2 lanes through the little sliver of WV on the east side of the 'doah through the mile or so that belongs to VA, and across the bridge to MD where it opens back up to 4 lanes all the way to Frederick. VA refuses to do anything about the road on their side of things because nobody really uses it for anything to do with VA. So they don't care that it causes a hellatious backup in both directions all summer long each year.

Now, if you're willing to go a little farther out. Hampshire county starts about an hour out from Frederick (Places like Paw Paw and Rock Gap) and keeps going to about 2 hours out when you hit Romney. Lots of unspoiled country in this area with a lot more laid-back feel. Too far from DC for anyone to commute, so they haven't started developing there. A heck of a lot cheaper too.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the great write up. I want/need to be close to my son. That's really why we're moving back. I saw new construction in Falling Waters. Do you have a competent WV realtor?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Thanks for that wonderful update on land in the eastern panhandle of WVA.That gives the wife and I an idea on where to look as well but the only major problem is we need bus transportation to get around since she does not drive

Jefferson and Berkeley counties are serviced by the EPTA (Eastern Panhandle Transit Authority). You can find their information, routes, etc. here: https://www.eptawv.com/

Thanks for the great write up. I want/need to be close to my son. That's really why we're moving back. I saw new construction in Falling Waters. Do you have a competent WV realtor?

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone for the eastern panhandle. That said, when the wife and I bought here in upper MoCo, we looked at the Zillow reviews for agents in the area and found a fantastic real estate agent that way. Here are the reviews for agents in the Eastern Panhandle. It's likely a good place to start. https://www.zillow.com/professionals/buyers-agent--real-estate-agent-reviews/martinsburg-wv/

The top guy there is the lead for a group that makes up more than half of the top reviewed agents. several hundred reviews combined for 5 stars. I'd say they're worth a look.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I agree with everything Tallen stated in his post. We moved to Jefferson County four and a half years ago and were able to buy reasonably priced (by Howard County standards) a three-acre lot outside of Charles Town. We've never looked back and have enjoyed the peace and quiet we didn't have in Howard County. But we are also retired so commuting doesn't play a role.
    Charles Town is more of a town than a city, but we have Frederick, Hagerstown, Martinsburg, Winchester and Leesburg, all within 45 minutes of the house and we use all of them for different things. So there are options.
    To add to the issue of the bridges, however (highlighted below in the original OP), WV is in the process of remediating the danger of rockslides along that stretch of road and it could be closed altogether for up to 18 months (I think) when they start. The drive-around is up I-81 to Hagerstown adding probably another 45 minutes to a commute to Frederick.

Hope that helps!

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I agree with everything Tallen stated in his post. We moved to Jefferson County four and a half years ago and were able to buy reasonably priced (by Howard County standards) a three-acre lot outside of Charles Town. We've never looked back and have enjoyed the peace and quiet we didn't have in Howard County. But we are also retired so commuting doesn't play a role.
    Charles Town is more of a town than a city, but we have Frederick, Hagerstown, Martinsburg, Winchester and Leesburg, all within 45 minutes of the house and we use all of them for different things. So there are options.
    To add to the issue of the bridges, however (highlighted below in the original OP), WV is in the process of remediating the danger of rockslides along that stretch of road and it could be closed altogether for up to 18 months (I think) when they start. The drive-around is up I-81 to Hagerstown adding probably another 45 minutes to a commute to Frederick.

Do you have Xfinity available? Is it generally available in the areas I'm looking at? I have to have high speed internet.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Do you have Xfinity available? Is it generally available in the areas I'm looking at? I have to have high speed internet.

I do have Xfinity and it is available here and there in Jefferson County, if that is where you are looking. We are about six miles outside of Charles Town (southwest) so it is getting to outlying areas, but mostly in subdivisions, as you would expect. Our little subdivision only has 14 houses in it but Xfinity had already run their cables when we started construction on the house. It's easy enough to check as you begin your house search. Best of luck!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    High speed internet is becoming more and more available throughout WV thanks to the work that Shelley Moore Capito has done to entice companies like Facebook/Meta and others to run their fiber trunks through the state. The areas around Charlestown/Martinsburg are definitely more likely to have Xfinity or Fios than places like Mineral or Hampshire county at the moment.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Internet in Hampshire and Hardy is spotty. On the farm there's only good signal because of line of sight to some wierd system. Before that it was satellite only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom