• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Looking at property in Hampshirite County. I have zero expectations of any fiber or even old school copper getting down those roads. Never going to happen. So, Starlink will be the magic sauce, at long last.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Internet in Hampshire and Hardy is spotty. On the farm there's only good signal because of line of sight to some wierd system. Before that it was satellite only.

The mantra of anyone looking at internet options in WV is "Please don't be HughesNet, please don't be HughesNet, please don't be HughesNet."

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I do have Xfinity and it is available here and there in Jefferson County, if that is where you are looking. We are about six miles outside of Charles Town (southwest) so it is getting to outlying areas, but mostly in subdivisions, as you would expect. Our little subdivision only has 14 houses in it but Xfinity had already run their cables when we started construction on the house. It's easy enough to check as you begin your house search. Best of luck!
    Is your neighborhood sold out?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Looking at property in Hampshirite County. I have zero expectations of any fiber or even old school copper getting down those roads. Never going to happen. So, Starlink will be the magic sauce, at long last.

Just don’t mind the two year wait list…

But yeah, it does promise to be a godsend as their constellations get built out and once chip shortages subside and they can really hit their stride on customer base station production.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Or Frontier. UGH! Dumped them and got Xfinity gig service for $20/month less.

Well, if you are on some back road, Frontier may be the only thing available. I have Atlantic, which has the corporate motto 'You may be able to get better service, but you surely can't pay more!'

Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    Where we were looking, and ended up buying, the only options are DSL, 4/5G wireless, and satellite. When we toured properties, we brought a Verizon phone and an ATT phone and checked signals on both at & around the potential build sites.

Particularly in the mountains, signal can get great on one acre and zero on an adjacent acre.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Where we were looking, and ended up buying, the only options are DSL, 4/5G wireless, and satellite. When we toured properties, we brought a Verizon phone and an ATT phone and checked signals on both at & around the potential build sites.

Particularly in the mountains, signal can get great on one acre and zero on an adjacent acre.

Yep, all depends on the line of sight between the tower and that patch of ground. In general, ATT seems to have better coverage overall in the state.

There's a reason that there are still some sections of real estate in the mountains where you can find ice hiding out under the scree fields all year round. It's especially true in the tighter areas where there aren't any real valleys, just hollows between the ridges. Ice Mountain between the North River and Cacapon River was one that had that reputation. Driving through North River Mills last winter, it was easy to see why. It's dark at 1PM up that "valley" on a winter's day.

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    Bought a place in Grant County, Maysville specfically. 2100 sq ft rancher, 132 acres. nice little hunting cabin... about 15 mins off Corridor H... Frontier DSL luckily has a backbone/booster whatever you call it within 1 mile of the house. Signal has been pretty good about 18mps. I did have some problems with Frontier during the hookup... horrible horrible customer service.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Bought a place in Grant County, Maysville specfically. 2100 sq ft rancher, 132 acres. nice little hunting cabin... about 15 mins off Corridor H... Frontier DSL luckily has a backbone/booster whatever you call it within 1 mile of the house. Signal has been pretty good about 18mps. I did have some problems with Frontier during the hookup... horrible horrible customer service.

Color me jealous! You're just south of one of my favorite spots, Greenland Gap. The falls there on the N. Fork of Patterson creek are just beautiful. That's a nice place to be. Close enough to all the good stuff, Canaan and Dolly Sods to the west, Trough to the east, Smoke Hole and Hopeville canyons to the south. Fishing, hiking, camping, canoeing, and hunting heaven!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    There is a nice patch of dirt just west of Oakland, MD called Aurora, WV / Eglon,WV. It's more open farm country than mountains and hollers. You are 20min from Oakland for basic retail, another 10min to Deep Creek Lake. Hiking, mountain biking in Blackwater Falls is 30min, the Canaan valley ski areas 45min. Now you won't find the super cheap parcels with 100eds of acres of steep hillsides in that area, but occasionally a few fields with a small home pop up on the market.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    There is a nice patch of dirt just west of Oakland, MD called Aurora, WV / Eglon,WV. It's more open farm country than mountains and hollers. You are 20min from Oakland for basic retail, another 10min to Deep Creek Lake. Hiking, mountain biking in Blackwater Falls is 30min, the Canaan valley ski areas 45min. Now you won't find the super cheap parcels with 100eds of acres of steep hillsides in that area, but occasionally a few fields with a small home pop up on the market.

Nice. I had a vacation home at Deep Creek for about 20 years and loved it. We sold in 2015. I wish I hadn't.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Nice one Traveller!

That is only about 40 miles from home.

Maybe that one will stay on the market a while with no power and water.

Perfect escape from the world of pharmacy!

900ft from the last power pole along Wass Hollow to the edge of the property. Then 550 ft from the corner to the cabin. Not sure how the particular utility charges, but power shouldnt be an insurmountable obstacle. Given the number of farms in the area , getting water seems to be at least doable. Right now it's in some conservation tax thing, I bet it it has a dwelling the 10 different taxing entities would descend on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom