• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Does anybody know what they want to see for the military training equivalency? Would documentation showing that somebody was awarded expert pistol/rifle medals (or other service equivalents), for example, be sufficient?
    A DD214 is all you would need to produce for that.

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    Utah gets you WA, but you lose NM & MN. Otherwise the same.

You're screwed as a MD resident unless you can get a MD permit and then go get a PA permit. Unless you want to open carry anywhere in the state but Philly.
    PA won't honor non-res permits anymore. It's crazy that a (now) felon unilaterally changed the PA policy and the legislature never put it back the way it was

***************************************************************************************
    The legislature doesn’t have to (although they should), the PA Attorney Genera can do it.

******************************************************************************************

I thought it was PA DA Josh Shapiro that made the change not to accept out of state non-resident permits. I had NH mainly for PA reciprocity and that ended. So DA isn't going to do it. Not sure how he did this? Can legislature do anything about it?

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    So basically if you have your HQL your good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    Utah gets you WA, but you lose NM & MN. Otherwise the same.

You're screwed as a MD resident unless you can get a MD permit and then go get a PA permit. Unless you want to open carry anywhere in the state but Philly.
    PA won't honor non-res permits anymore. It's crazy that a (now) felon unilaterally changed the PA policy and the legislature never put it back the way it was

***************************************************************************************
    The legislature doesn’t have to (although they should), the PA Attorney Genera can do it.

******************************************************************************************

I thought it was PA DA Josh Shapiro that made the change not to accept out of state non-resident permits. I had NH mainly for PA reciprocity and that ended. So DA isn't going to do it. Not sure how he did this? Can legislature do anything about it?

Former AG Kathleen Kane was the culprit.

OK. Thx. I guarantee Shapiro isn't going to reverse it.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    any updates on where/how to fill out an application?

I spoke with a woman at WVA State Police, and she said the applications should be approved by July 6, but wasn't sure when they'd be up on the website.

She also didn't know if they could be submitted by mail.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    I spoke with a woman at WVA State Police, and she said the applications should be approved by July 6, but wasn't sure when they'd be up on the website.

She also didn't know if they could be submitted by mail.

something this important I am going to submit in person one day.

I have DC/MD carry class in August, I am going to use that to get WV. I don't know if those would be good enough to submit for Utah or not, I don't know if there would be too much redundancy to have Utah and WV.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

I have DC/MD carry class in August, I am going to use that to get WV. I don't know if those would be good enough to submit for Utah or not, I don't know if there would be too much redundancy to have Utah and WV.

Post 25 of this thread lays out the redundancy.

I thought Utah required training from a UT-certified instructor. Not sure if the MD/DC would work for that. It would work for WV and most other states.

I still see the old WV CCW form on the wvsp website. You may be able to just use that to apply and leave the county line blank.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Post 25 of this thread lays out the redundancy.

I thought Utah required training from a UT-certified instructor. Not sure if the MD/DC would work for that. It would work for WV and most other states.

I still see the old WV CCW form on the wvsp website. You may be able to just use that to apply and leave the county line blank.

only thing I can do is give it a try. Maybe a weekday field trip to a sheriffs location with my older son will be warranted.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    anyone had any luck? I'm going to WV over labor day weekend and could possibly run to a sheriff's office if they're taking apps now.

ETA: Apply in person at a local WV Sheriff's office. need a copy of a live fire gun safety course cert (military exempt) as well as a valid drivers license with current address. $75 at time of application and $25 at time of pickup. valid for 5 years. This info is from Mineral County Sheriff's office.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md

No go.

Utah still requires Utah certified instructor classes.

https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-firearm/how-do-i-apply-for-a-concealed-firearm-permit/

"Weapon Familiarity Certification. Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course certified by BCI. No exceptions. The course must be completed before you apply for a permit. Please have your instructor complete the certification information on the application. View a list of (in-state) (out-of-state) certified instructors."

I'm sure several Maryland instructors are members of MDS.

https://bci.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2021/08/Certified-Instructors-Out-of-State.pdf

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Thread revival and update.

So to get your WV non resident permit, they want some sort of live fire training, I showed my wear and carry course with the description of the course, the results of said course, and even the graded target from the class, 100$ in cash or check at the sheriffs office, mine came back in 3 weeks, but they say it can take up to 45 days. On pickup its another $25.

I used the form for resident permit, the ladies at the Sherriff's office told me WV has not written a non resident form yet, but may in the future. They will supply the forms if you don't bring your own, I brought my own.

I went to the Jefferson county office, the women who work there are very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom